• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Letter to the Garritan Team - How GPO 4 could be 10 times better overnight...

Share/Bookmark

Post Letter to the Garritan Team - How GPO 4 could be 10 times better overnight...

Dear Team Garritan,

Please watch this video fully, to understand the point I am making.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q7zBWa6MQM

Case in point: For GPO5 why not take those 'p' violin section, viola section, celli section, and bass section samples (From Garritan Strings V1 or V2) and punch them right in?

- It wouldn't be that hard to do.
    - It wouldn't take up that much space (they could even be a lite version of Garritan Strings V2).

To me, this is the most important dynamic for strings. GPO4, right now, seems to just have mf. I feel that f and ff are achievable with an mf sample, but definitely not p and pp.

Re: Letter to the Garritan Team - How GPO 4 could be 10 times better overnight...

--------EDITED-----------

I have erased my initial response, as now I find it quite offending.
    Besides this it contained a disagreement with the above post, mainly in fields of presentation, and weak examples.
    Last edited by Vladzakr; 04-11-2010 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Offending content

Re: Letter to the Garritan Team - How GPO 4 could be 10 times better overnight...

I think you're underestimating the economic value of these extra samples (in terms of work and size, but also competition with products of others as well as Garritan's own). I favor the idea of an extensible library (you buy mf in the standard package, and pay for f or p whenever you need them), but that's not everyone's cup of tea either.

Personally, I don't find the sound of the soft violins problematic. Properly handled, they still sound ok. The only thing I find difficult is modeling the mod wheel data at very low levels.
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by Vladzakr View Post
    I am sorry for being rude.

I have no connection to the Garritan team etc. Have no bias towards his libs whatsoever, and have my own critic view about his activities in recent years, so I think I am the right person to say this:

Dear markhansavon, in light of your presentation, examples given, and expressions used, I have no doubt you "desperately need" some health counseling.
    im intrigued as to how you come to such a conclusion!

These extra samples will be part of GOS2. No idea though when it will be released.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    Personally, I don't find the sound of the soft violins problematic. Properly handled, they still sound ok. The only thing I find difficult is modeling the mod wheel data at very low levels.
    Can't you program your midi keyboard to modwheel data between values?
    I can with my M-Audio Oxygen 25, so I can play it 'rough' and still get low values. May be an idea.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Vladzakr View Post
    I am sorry for being rude.

I have no connection to the Garritan team etc. Have no bias towards his libs whatsoever, and have my own critic view about his activities in recent years, so I think I am the right person to say this:

Dear markhansavon, in light of your presentation, examples given, and expressions used, I have no doubt you "desperately need" some health counseling.
    You're not sorry for being rude.

There is no need for personal attacks here whether justified or not. By all means agree or disagree, but nothing qualifies you to launch personal attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by markhansavon View Post

To me, this is the most important dynamic for strings. GPO4, right now, seems to just have mf. I feel that f and ff are achievable with an mf sample, but definitely not p and pp.
    I must confess that I do find this rather strange.

Of course we can achieve piano and pianissimo with GPO4 and, in my experience, this can be done with ease.

In fact, there is a wealth of examples where the full dynamic range including from ppp to fff is demonstrated using the earliest version of GPO to the present latest version. These can be found on:

The 'Main Demo Page': http://www.garritan.com/demos.html
    The 'Listening Room': http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...splay.php?f=42
    The six Christmas Albums: http://www.garritan.com/Xmas.html

As I mentioned earlier, achieving a 'p' and 'pp' with GPO4 couldn't be easier in my view. I threw together the following example using 'Section Violins' in minutes; in fact, it has taken me longer to write this reply than to prepare my example.

In this sample, I start the clip very softly then a crescendo followed by a decrescendo and ending less sofltly.

GPO4 Dynamics Example

If you would like any help with achieving dynamics using GPO4 please ask.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

What a great constructive post Michael!

G’day Michael,

You said:

“In fact, there is a wealth of examples where the full dynamic range including from ppp to fff is demonstrated using the earliest version of GPO to the present latest version. These can be found on:

The 'Main Demo Page':
    http://www.garritan.com/demos.html
    The 'Listening Room': http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...splay.php?f=42
    The six Christmas Albums: http://www.garritan.com/Xmas.html

Can you be a bit more specific?

You said:

“In this sample, I start the clip very softly then a crescendo followed by a decrescendo and ending less sofltly.”

What I hear is just a change in volume with a lot of reverb. I think markhansavon talks about true dynamics as per appropriate sampling.

Herbert
    GPO, JABB, CMB, GWI, GOFRILLER, HALION PLAYER, ACCORDIONS by E Tarilonte
    Cubase 6, Notation Composer, VSTHost, GoldWave audio editor.

Interests:
    Good Food, Gemütlichkeit, Wein Weib und Gesang – History, Politics, Civil Law –
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

Go Back to forum