• Register
  • Help

Topic: More Snorlax Live Euphonium

More Snorlax Live Euphonium

As many of you know, the bottom part of my house was hit by a major flood about two and a half years ago...Though fully reconstructed, we are still putting things back together, discovering what was lost (and found).
    From time to time I discover some old performance recordings and other things I didn't know existed.

I also like to acquaint Garritanites with the wonderful instrument we call the EUPHONIUM.

If you click here you will hear a duet performed by Snor and his thoroughly wonderful standmate in the Indianapolis Brass Choir, Mary Miedema. It's light and entertaining, and gives you an idea of the sound of the euphonium.

How to sort the two of us out? The edgy, bright, crass sound is me; I usually take the parts in the upper register (this only went up to high Db concert, for you brass players). The lovely, full, rich, refined sound is Mary.

On this recording, I was playing a Willson 2905 euphonium with a Bach 2G mouthpiece. Mary plays a Hirsbrunner euphonium with a heavywall mouthpiece.

I have been on the forum since shortly after the Crimean War (when it was the Orch-80 forum) and have taken it upon myself to acquaint the vast talent pool here with the KING of instruments, the euphonium.

Feel free to snoop around the Indianapolis Brass Choir website as well. It's a good group with a mission.

Euphonious wishes to you all...
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Re: More Snorlax Live Euphonium

A Bach 2G and you're hitting high Db? I'm impressed. I used to use a Bach 6-1/2 AL and couldn't imagine using anything bigger.
    Dean L. Surkin
    Steinway A104030
    Sonar X2 (professional), Finale 2011, JABB 3, GPO

One of the most satisfying musical experiences for me was whipping out a Bach 3G and playing in the mid to low register. Pure euphoria...

Thanks for sharing the music, I really miss playing euphonium and being a part of brass choirs. Dropping my performance major was one of the hardest decisions of my life, but it had to be done. I thought back then that I would always have time to keep my chops up, boy was I wrong. *sigh*

Fantastic playing, really enjoyed the piece! Going to listen to more if there is more!

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

I know ! Its April Fools Day, isn't it ?
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

I really enjoyed listening to this. Thanks for the link!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Hé, dat klinkt lekker zeg!!! Mijn complimenten.....

Go Back to forum