• Register
  • Help

Topic: GUT (Einstein v Heisenberg)

GUT (Einstein v Heisenberg)

In honor of CERN having a good day, I name this one after one of my heroes, the late great Albert Einstein; who to his dying bed proclaimed, "God doesn't throw dice". Heisenberg disagreed.

(GUT - Grand Unified Theory)

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Re: GUT (Einstein v Heisenberg)

And it was very much Neils Bohr who was the father of the "Copenhagen interpretation" of quantum mechanics, that made broad statements about the quantum fuzziness of nature and Bohr argued this with Einstein as much as Heisenberg. The ultimate question of true quantum physics came to a head with the idea of "spooky action at a distance" in particles that shot out of a reaction in opposite directions. The particles had attributes such as "spin" and the quantum idea was that when the direction of the spin of one particle was determine the other particle's spin was immediately defined, even if it had traveled long distances from the first particle. This concept became even more interesting and yet confusing when a brilliant Irish physicist thought up an interesting experiment to prove or disprove this "spooky action" and he is remembered for the idea of "Bell's inequality." This concept is one that I find very hard to understand, yet sufficiently fascinating that I try to read about it (and understand it) from time to time.

that's a fascinating reply, ...

Interesting composition, Ron, a bit worrying in places, but original and effective. I see that you have to deal, as we all do, with the problem of legato in strings, particularly apparent when the legato phrase keeps repeating, like the ostinato figure in the lower strings... I have nothing to suggest really, except maybe alternating different patches to get more timbre changes. By the way, what strings are these, if I may ask?

Spin is an odd characteristic of particles. Why some are symmetric with a 360 rotation makes complete sense, but why some need 720 degrees is just weird. Fuzzy doesn't even begin to explain the sub-atomic level, but it is all cool stuff.

I went back and did massive fixes with the strings. I had posted this originally with only one patch for each of the strings. Now it has at least 3 patches per instrument (except for the solo Viola of course). Hopefully that makes it more "realistic". The Solo Viola is from EW and I use patches from EWQSLO along with the VSL patches from Kontakt 4. I usually use 3 to 4 patches from each library to try for realism.

Thanks guys

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Go Back to forum