• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Back from the all most dead...

Smile Back from the all most dead...

Hi everyone. Itís been way, way to long since Iíve prowled these ďthreaded corridorsĒ. I think the last posting of mine was last summer.

Unfortunately, I had one of those malevolent life-altering events which weíre all faced with eventually at some point in our lives.

I developed Crohnís disease and ended up in the hospital a couple times, once for a whole month. Iíve been quite ill for 6 months but Iím happy to say that Iím finally turned the corner and have stabilized. They had me on so many drugs that I became quite ďloopyĒ and couldnít write a note if my life depended on it. The drugs also made me lose my short-term memory, so I forgot how to use any of the software programs, and even anything regarding composition techniques for that matter. I also had to sell my landscaping business, which took years to build up, because I could no longer perform the work. On top of all that, a common side-effect of Crohnís is the onset of arthritis which hit me in a big way. My hands became completely paralyzedÖ..I couldnít even play Chopsticks! Add severe depression, and that was my life for the last 8 months.

Now that the arthritis has abated quite a bit and Iím taking a lot less medication, I can once again start to focus on music. Hooray!! Iím learning to play the piano all over again. Iím starting with easier pieces such as the oneís here, some Chopin waltzís and Scarlatti sonatas. Their not perfect by a long shot, mainly because of the unevenness due to my motor-neurons not firing quite in sync yet. But Iím so happy to just to be playing again, I donít care and I thought Iíd share it with you. (links below)

As you may remember, I spent most of last year, before my illness, writing piano pieces and was about to master a CD before this all happened. Itíll be awhile before Iím back to speed playing, so Iím currently working on orchestral compositions to get me back into composing again. Hopefully Iíll be able to post those in a month or so depending on how long it takes me to relearn the software!!! I find that Iím almost giddy when I sit down to compose. Itís such a delight to be able to compose again.

Anyway, Iím glad to be back!

Chopin Op 70 Nr. 1
    Chopin Op 69 Nr. 1
    Scarlatti sonata in C Major
    Scarlatti sonata in E Major

PS ( before I get chastised for my omissions, upon listening to these I discovered I forgot to do the repeats on 2nd half of BOTH Scarlatti sonatas and left out a middle chunk of music in the Op. 70 Chopin. I played these from my "Swiss cheese" memory, and I guess it's is still somewhat on the fritz....can't remember if I repeated something or not. Did I just say this in the above paragraphs? hmmmm....Anyway, sorry for the omissions.

Re: Back from the all most dead...

Jeez Cass, glad you are back and still breathing.

I gave all four a quick listen and they sound good to me.

You take care of yourself because you don't want me coming over there with my synthesizers.

Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

Great recovery and your playing with those almost paralyzed hands stands out.... go on. I enjoyed listening these pieces.

Nice to have you back,

Cass, how awesome!!!!
    I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and my hands are wrecked so I understand the depression from that let alone the pain.

I love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So blessed to have you back,

Gosh what I would give to play like that.

Suburban NYC

Hey Cass,

It's so good to see you resurface here ... I know I have missed your music and the wonderful spirit you convey with your music. Sorry for all your troubles this past year, BUT OH MY GOD, you would never know it from the four pieces you just posted: Tremendous! The old saying couldn't be any more appropriate: "You've forgotten more than I'll ever know about playing and writing for the piano!"

Here's hoping life serves you up a much needed (and deserved) period of calm, good health, and musical creativity. Best of luck and I look forward to hearing more of your always heartfelt music.

Glad to hear you are on the way back. Sorry to hear the curve that has been thrown your way, but your spirit sounds good!

The pieces sounds great - it was fun to hear the Scarlatti. I actually used to play the E major when I was working iin a guitar duo - we even recorded it
    ( seems like a long time ago...); what a treat to hear it again!

Hope the road to recovery goes well.

Nice to see you back.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

Hi Cass,

You are back!!!
    I was wondering where you were and seeing you haven't been here for so long
    I wanted to email you, but no address given...

So sorry to hear what you had to go through, but you came out a winner!

Your playing is wonderful! You play from the heart and it shows especially in the Chopin pieces.
    It is charming, brilliant, streaming and filled with your humor and vitality.

Iíve missed your presence here, and I shall look forward to any new composition from you
    which I know will be a treat!

Mr. Cass,

Very nice interpretations of the Chopin and Scarlatti pieces!

I am so sorry to hear of your health problems. I hope that you have a very fast healing process. Get well soon! I have spoken!

My best to you.
    Larry G. Alexander

Firstly: very glad you are on the mend.

Secondly: oh my God - these are superlative. I'm going to buy a grand just so I can use the lid to break my fingers.

Very fine, precise, nuanced work - I hope you are very proud of these recordings.

John Hawksley
    Composition & Arrangement

How terrible................y wonderful.

I never knew you were such a fine pianist. I knew you were good
    from all of your previous endeavors, but your expressiveness is something
    to be deeply admired. I always thought your were a "diamond in the
    rough" musical wizard that wasn't fully developed to your unique potential. Now, I am sure of it.

No one would ever know that your were recuperating from anything except
    overpracticing........lol. But, seriously, your playing is loaded with "rare"
    expressiveness that only comes from not only much practice, but from an
    in-depth understanding of the music you are performing.

It's interesting that Chopin wrote so much of his music while recuperating
    from tuberculosis (or trying to) and that some of your greatest performances
    stem from your recuperation period. Anyway, so glad to have you back
    and feeling like you are on the way to a full recovery.

Just marvelous playing Cass..........

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast