• Register
  • Help

Topic: SONAR prob. w. Garritan GPO, JABB and inst for Finale

Share/Bookmark

SONAR prob. w. Garritan GPO, JABB and inst for Finale

Hello! I had to get a new laptop and update all of my programs. I am using Windows 7--64 bit, Finale 2010, Sonar 8.5 and I have GPO and JABB (1.1.8.3 and 1.1.9.3 respectively). I was using the Kontakt Player 2 for these libraries in the older version of Sonar I used, and I had just copied and pasted all the VST files from Finale to the VST files in Sonar. It worked great. I tried the same this time, as well as the Garritan Instruments for Finale (from 2010), and though I can get these to be inserted in a project one time, when I come back and try to open the file later, it won't open. I spoke with Sonar folks who said this was not a known issue with Sonar, and suggested I ask Garritan instead. I know the GPO and JABB are older versions, but the Inst. for Finale are the latest from the Finale 2010. Maybe Sonar can't find the libraries? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. Peter

Re: SONAR prob. w. Garritan GPO, JABB and inst for Finale

Hello Peter and a very warm welcome to our forums.

My first suggestion is to update your GPO and JaBB to the Kontakt Player 2 version. These are free updates and can be downloaded from your account at Native Instruments.

Please note that you will need the 2.2.3 update which includes updates for both the libraries and the Kontakt Player. There should also be a KP2.2.4 but this updates the player only. The KP2.2.3 update is the only update that updates both libraries and player. Also, you will need to download your new KP2 Serial Number which you will also find in your account. You will need to do this for each of GPO and JaBB.

When you install your new KP2 libraries, the installer will add a backup of your old version 1 instruments so you will still be able to open projects made with the version 1.

Regarding your 64 bit environment, are you running Sonar in 32 or 64 bit mode?
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Michael

Thank you so much for your suggestion! It solved most of my problem. here's the scoop: It turns out that I had already downloaded Kontakt Player 2.2.3, as well as every other download for my products when I installed them on this new laptop. But I wanted to make sure things were ok with KP 2.2.3, so I downloaded it again. This time it placed the VST in the Cakewalk VST folder--However, when I checked in my Programs file it turns out there are TWO Cakewalk VST folders. This new OS (WIN 7) for reasons unknown to me has two Program folders as well. One is just plain "Program Files" and the other is "Program Files (x86)" Cakewalk is in each of them, both w. the VST file, but the x86 has only a VST file with the rest of the program in the the plain named Program file. Anyway, things worked. I was able to insert KP2 with GPO and JABB into my Sonar project, save it, and reopen it. I've been trying to find a solution to this for a week! yeah! Thanks!...However, with Garritan Instruments for Finale, I can insert them initially in SONAR, but can't reopen those files later. Hmmm...Is that the Aria player that plays those instruments? I'd always used the regular GPO and JABB, but a year or so ago I began using the instruments for Finale as I liked the interface, and for the type of work I do, it was fine.
    Do you have any ideas on getting that to work in Sonar? Can those instruments play through the KP2 player as well? Thanks again for helping me get the GPO and JABB going in Sonar! Really happy about that...Oh, I forgot to answer--I am running Sonar in 64 bit. I remember when I installed I chose that because the Windows 7 on this laptop is 64 bit. Is there a way to reset Sonar to 32 if that's better for me? Thanks! and Happy Easter if you celebrate it. Take care, Peter

Hello again Peter. That's great, it's good to hear that part of the problem is resolved. I always enjoy a happy outcome.

It's the 64 bit version of Win 7 that creates the two Program Files Directories. The reason is that so many programs are still running in 32 bit mode so if you install a program that is 32 bit mode only then it will install in the Program Files x86. Had you installed both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of sonar then you'd have the 32 bit version in the x86 Program Files and the 64 bit in the 'Program Files' folder. Had you installed just the 32 bit version of Win 7 then you would have had just the one program folder and, of course, you couldn't install any 64 bit applications. So this explains your two Cakewalk program folders.

I also have win 7 64 bit and Finale 2010. I opted to run Sonar and Aria in 32 bit within my 64 bit environment and have no problems at all. I presume you are using the Finale set of instruments on a score you created in Finale then saved as a MIDI file to open and work on in Sonar? I don't think you can use the Finale set any other way. I just tried a test using the Finale set of instruments in sonar then saved the file. I was able to open it and re-open it without the slightest problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekstrom View Post
    ..... Is there a way to reset Sonar to 32 if that's better for me? Thanks! and Happy Easter if you celebrate it. Take care, Peter
    You can indeed install the 32 bit version of Sonar and some people in the Sonar forums actually recommend this although, personally, I prefer just the one install. If you are actually working on a file originally created within Finale as I described above then it might be worth trying the 32 bit version of Sonar to see if this solves the problem.

Hope the full solution is in here somewhere. If you are working in the way I describe and have tried the 32 bit Sonar option and the problem persists please post back and we'll see what we can do.

Thank you for your Easter greetings and I extend the same to you.
    Michael

Hi Michael

Problem solved! I installed the 32 bit version of Sonar and everything works great, can insert and reopen no problem at all. I wonder why Sonar tech didn't suggest this, or even ask if I was using 32 or 64? Hmmm...anyway, I'm up and running, and I thank you very much!...The way you presumed is exactly how I use Sonar and Finale. I've been working on improving my orchestration skills. I began composing way before personal computers, and I wrote primarily for piano or piano and voice. But as these programs and sounds evolved and I began working with them, I started to think in orchestral ways, and it's really expanded my possibilities. Love it. Thanks again!

My best to you, Peter

I think even Sonar or any other techninal support ei always know all. But yes its bit odd they dont ask this 32bit vs 64bit thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekstrom View Post
    Hi Michael

Problem solved! I installed the 32 bit version of Sonar and everything works great, can insert and reopen no problem at all. I wonder why Sonar tech didn't suggest this, or even ask if I was using 32 or 64? Hmmm...anyway, I'm up and running, and I thank you very much!...The way you presumed is exactly how I use Sonar and Finale. I've been working on improving my orchestration skills. I began composing way before personal computers, and I wrote primarily for piano or piano and voice. But as these programs and sounds evolved and I began working with them, I started to think in orchestral ways, and it's really expanded my possibilities. Love it. Thanks again!

My best to you, Peter
    Wonderful.

Glad everything is working there now.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by JUPEKU View Post
    I think even Sonar or any other techninal support ei always know all. But yes its bit odd they dont ask this 32bit vs 64bit thing.
    Cakewalk? Technical support? I think that's an oxymoron. They have the worst support I've ever encountered!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikemac View Post
    Cakewalk? Technical support? I think that's an oxymoron. They have the worst support I've ever encountered!
    Not defending Cakewalk but worst I have encountered is Adobe - I bought the Pouduction cs5 suite and when I called for help they said it would the 29.00 to 249.00 to talk to me or use the forums they are free.

Pekstrom said:

Problem solved! I installed the 32 bit version of Sonar and everything works great, can insert and reopen no problem at all. I wonder why Sonar tech didn't suggest this, or even ask if I was using 32 or 64? Hmmm...anyway, I'm up and running, and I thank you very much!...
    I have Windows 7 Pro and am running in 64 bit as well. Finale is installed in the Program Files (x86) but I installed Sonar 8.5 as a 64 bit program and it resides in Program Files. Both programs work perfectly well together for me and I have no problems with re-opening files. My latest piece in the listening room is a testament to that.

I don't think the entire problem is solved by your solution per se. I have a feeling you don't have your 64 bit VSTs in the 64 bit VST folder and your 32 bit VSTs in your 32 bit folder. This is only a guess as my installations all set up correctly during install.

On another note, most programs still run in 32 bit and even though they are on 64 bit OS machines, they are still getting use of 4 gigabytes of RAM. I have 12 gigabytes of RAM that rarely get used because most of my music programs and VSTs are 32 bit. Which brings up the other problem you have or will encounter. 32 bit VSTs will NOT work in 64 bit software (your Sonar 8.5 program). If you do try to load a song from 32 bit Sonar with 32 bit VSTs, 64 bit Sonar will not load it. Maybe that is your freeze up problem.

I am rambling but maybe there was some useful information there.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum