• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB3 With Finale HP

JABB3 With Finale HP

I noticed a difference between Finale HP between JABB2 (Kontakt Player) and JAB3 (Aria).

If I write a (de)crescendo, Finale HP will convert that to mod wheel MIDI data (CC01) if I am using JABB2 (KP2), but Finale converts it into MIDI volume (CC07) if I am using JABB3 (Aria).

I see this not only in the MIDI file I create from Finale, but also when I watch the Aria Player during playback -- instead of the mod wheel moving, the faders move.

I wasn't expecting this, since I was looking for both volume and timbre changes you get by changing the mod wheel.

Is there something I can do to make Finale use mod wheel for JABB3? Or do I just need to wait for Finale to issue an update to the HP engine to work with JABB3?

Is this because I am still on Finale 2009?
    Best Regards,

Re: JABB3 With Finale HP

Just a quick check. Are you using the 'Notation' set of instruments and not the 'Standard' set in Finale for both GPO and JABB3?
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Hello Michael,

I verified that I am using the notation instruments.

The more I think of it, the more I am convinced that it might be because I am using an older version of Finale. I am so used to it working flawlessly with Kontakt Player, that I took for granted that there might be new JABB3/Aria information that Finale 2009 might not be aware of.

It's not a big deal, since I can work around this behavior. Hopefully when I upgrade to Finale 2011 the problem will be resolved.

If anyone with Finale 2010 can comment on whether HP converts crescendos into mod wheel (CC01) or volume (CC07), I would be interested in knowing.
    Best Regards,

I'm using Finale 2009 as well, but I thought I read somewhere that it was MakeMusic's request that CC7 be used for volume rather than CC1. I had to specifically change HP settings to use CC1 and can't remember if it was per instrument technique or if there was a global setting somewhere.

I also don't own JABB yet and am wondering if there are separate settings for JABB instruments that need to be changed from default behavior.

Steve Winkler

Go Back to forum