• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: My Computer Is Very Ill With A Virus!

Share/Bookmark

Angry My Computer Is Very Ill With A Virus/Malware/?

Even though I have some very good anti-virus programs, I have contracted a particularly mean, nasty, pervasive virus or malware or something that has virtually destroyed my computer.

NO, YOUR COMPUTER WILL NOT BE INFECTED IF YOU READ THIS MESSAGE. I am presently using a friend's computer.

This monster took over my entire system, including my email program. It changed entries in my registry and caused complete havoc including changing its name each time I booted. It comandeered the Windows Media Player to play audio spam messages! It caused itself to be memory-resident which resulted in extreme difficulties. It made my CPU run at one-hundred percent at all times which resulted in very high operating temperatures.

At this time, I have a computer virus expert working on it. I suggest the death penalty for people who write these types of destructive things.

I hope to be back to the forum soon with my own computer.

My best to everyone.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: My Computer Is Very Ill With A Virus!

Ouch Larry. It is good to hear that your computer is in expert hands now. All the best to you!
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F View Post
    Ouch Larry. It is good to hear that your computer is in expert hands now. All the best to you!
    Danke for your moral support, Hannes. I appreciate it.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Something similar crashed two of my machines earlier this year. I believe it came in through an ad banner in both cases. Cost me a bit of money to fix it and get up and running again. I hope your experience is less costly and I definitely agree with your idea of punishment for the writers of these things.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    At this time, I have a computer virus expert working on it.
    I know this is completely off-topic, but please let us know if they find out what virus and how you got it. If nothing else, we can try to find out if our various protective software knows of the virus. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    I suggest the death penalty for people who write these types of destructive things.
    Only if it can be a very slow and lingering death.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    Something similar crashed two of my machines earlier this year. I believe it came in through an ad banner in both cases. Cost me a bit of money to fix it and get up and running again. I hope your experience is less costly and I definitely agree with your idea of punishment for the writers of these things.
    I am always very cautious on what I click. I have no idea from where this virus came.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by pokeefe View Post
    I know this is completely off-topic, but please let us know if they find out what virus and how you got it. If nothing else, we can try to find out if our various protective software knows of the virus. Good luck!

Pat
    As far as I can tell, the Trojan is simply called "Generic" with three alpha-numeric characters following that name. Those three characters change each time you boot your computer which makes it almost impossible for an anti-virus scan to find it. The virus also disables all anti-virus programs that you have on your system! It also assaults your registry and makes several destructive changes.

Evidently, it downloaded all of its code to my computer in a matter of a split second!

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

During the early nineties I was involved in network security for the international division of my company. I attended "summit" meeting on the subject at our company's engineering facility where the main topic for the meeting was the future of information security with the pending opening up for what is now called the internet.

It was clear to us then that the various threats that existed at the time (floppy disc viruses, unsolicited commercial email (it wasn't called spam yet!) etc. were going to become a major factor in network security.

At one of the meetings I made a suggestion that all we needed to do is catch one of the bastards and engage the services of "No Neck Vinny" to have a conversation with them involving kneecaps. (Hey, I'm originally form Brooklyn, whatd'yawant?). Everyone laughed. A few months back, I heard from a fellow at that meeting who is now the VP of network security for a large telco overseas. He expressed the opinion that maybe that wasn't such a bad idea after all!

Good idea!

Maybe we should turn them into sopranos and make them listen non-stop to really bad elevator music (or rap crap) for the rest of their miserable lives.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Larry:

Sorry to hear of your computer virus problem. I can imagine how much
    joy it has taken out of your everyday life. I know it would for me.

Here's hoping a viable solution will be available quickly.

And, yes, I agree that "No Neck Vinny" as well as my friend "Jimmy
    Zanutti" could be of real help here (I'm from New York).

Sometimes I'm glad that I use a Mac which is not too prone to catching
    a "virus" yet. But, that's another story..............lol

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum