• Register
  • Help

Topic: Essay for brass

Share/Bookmark

Essay for brass

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...songID=9012441

A short piece for brass choir - 2 trumpets, 4 horns, 2 trombones, tuba - using GPO Project SAM brass, plus GPO tympani and crash cymbals. I expect to hear I need to use more mod wheel.

Pat

Re: Essay for brass

More modwheel AND some pitchbend for the horns, and please a bit more dynamic changes to accent the beat. Breath pauses?

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    More modwheel AND some pitchbend for the horns ...
    "Modwheel" I've sort of figured out in Sibelius. For pitchblend I think I will have to add MIDI text; I don't think there is a way to get Sibelius to do it for me. I've shied away from that so far. Anyway, pitchblend is a mineral - a uranium ore. No telling what I'll do if I start messing around with that!

... and please a bit more dynamic changes to accent the beat.
    Hmm. I've worked so hard at trying (but not succeeding) to get reasonable legato that hadn't even thought about that. Is this needed throughout? I know of one point, following a sudden tempo change, where I could use the accents. (I have trouble hearing what's playing instead of what's in my head if the 2 aren't miles apart.)

Breath pauses?
    But I never once heard GPO gasp for breath!
    Yup, I'd better look into that. Sibelius doesn't play breath pauses so I'll have to insert short rests, I guess. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for listening and commenting.

Pat

Ok. New version with minor changes. Removed some legato, added accents or tenuto, and corrected a MAJOR blunder phrasing and timing of a tempo change. Implementing more of Raymond's suggestions is going to take some time.

Pat

Another new version. Breath pauses added.

I found what seems to be a bug in Sibelius that prevents me from adding breath pauses following repeated notes (unless I want the pause to consume the entire note). I had to do some clumsy circumventions that I will hopefully be able to remove eventually.

Still no pitchblend that Raymond recommended for the horns. Maybe some day.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pokeefe View Post
    ..... Still no pitchblend that Raymond recommended for the horns. Maybe some day.

Pat
    Don't do that beacuse I said so, it was merely a suggestion. Looking at NOTION3 video tutorials I saw and heard that a pitchbend for the horns (though a bit exaggerated) made a world of difference. Sometimes, during a life concert, the horns go way out of line, due to some climat changes or whatever caused it....... It makes everything more like.... hey he is playing that thing instead of MIDI automation.

Raymond

Sometimes, during a life concert, the horns go way out of line, due to some climat changes or whatever caused it....... It makes everything more like.... hey he is playing that thing instead of MIDI automation.
    Ah. I see, first, that I've been inserting a nonexistent "l": in pitchbend. And I see you are not talking about about pitchbend on a handful of notes, but rather on a whole horn part (or until the horn warms up, the player adjusts a crook, the other horn players take action against the out-of-tune horn or its player, etc.). That will take insertion (and perhaps later removal) of only 1 MIDI command. I can handle that in Sibelius.

I thought you were suggesting I insert stuff to emulate a player trying to cope with an out of tune horn - many off pitch notes off by different amounts, lots of portamento, etc. I.e., lots of work.

I'll bend 1 horn a little and see how it works.

Pat

Boy. I changed what I think is the smallest possible amount of bend - 63 and 65 in the 0-127 range - and thought is sounded terrible! I didn't expect to even be able to here that little a change so maybe I did something wrong.

Anyway, there's a new copy out to critique. No pitch bend! A few changes to dynamics; a few very minor compositional changes.

If anyone is willing, I'd like some feedback on the composition itself, not just the realization - which I know has a long way to go. (I'm sure it's far too tonal for some, but I'm not likely to change that much. ) Forced key changes? Odd tempo changes? Too abrupt coda? (These are some my own criticisms I've tried to address, but maybe not well enough.) Is this thing even worth saving? (No, I'm not fishing for compliments. I want to hear the negatives. ... I think.)

Pat

Go Back to forum