• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hello Randy

Share/Bookmark

Hello Randy

I am now re-working an older project with you advices on how to set up SONAR with bounced audio tracks. Since I started this I enjoyed the ease of work a lot more than with my older approach. So, now you have at least and at last one pupil of the Randy-school............

Raymond

Re: Hello Randy

I think that's great, Raymond. Thanks for letting me know you've not only tried this method, but that it's working well for you.

I've been going by the Sonar Forum quite a bit recently, and the vast majority of people there are working with audio tracks of physical instruments or generated from soft synths. You may want to visit those Forums at the Cakewalk site to glean tips about all kinds of recording issues. It's a very active Forum with a fast turn over of posts, and with quite a few very expert users constantly helping out.

In a nutshell, the basic advantage of working with audio tracks is that a mix can be so much more detailed. I find it impossible to really explain the advantages - a user just has to try it for themselves, as you're now doing.

Great!

Randy

Hi Raymond and Randy,

How about one of you link here to one of the summary posts that explains exactly what you are talking about - this will help new people find out what you are talking about.

Hi, Alan - It's a very good idea, to find a thread to link to. Tall order though since what Raymond is talking about has been a subject on and off for a really long time. I'll do a search, but not sure what terms are going to bring up useful results, and am not at all sure about there being any kind of definitive thread --I'll see what I can do.

The basic topic is - When using a sequencer like Sonar, one can have projects consist of MIDI tracks only, or one can mix down those MIDI tracks to audio so a thorough mix can be done. Raymond has been working in the former way, I've been working in the latter way. Once in awhile I toot off about how I feel it gives the user a much greater control over his music. Now Raymond's starting to render/record his MIDI tracks and then mixing the audio, and seems to be noticing what I've talked about for years now - the greater precision possible.

I'll look around for a link to post on here. Thanks, Alan.

Randy

I kind of remember that thread. I thought there was a slightly different angle to the thread. That is rendering midi tracks to audio vs. simply mixing from the audio output tracks from the plugin.

I think this is the thread that started out as an Altiverb discussion.

EDIT: Here's the specific post in that rather lengthy thread where Randy describes how he works.

Steve Winkler

Quote Originally Posted by swinkler View Post
    I kind of remember that thread. I thought there was a slightly different angle to the thread. That is rendering midi tracks to audio vs. simply mixing from the audio output tracks from the plugin.

I think this is the thread that started out as an Altiverb discussion.

EDIT: Here's the specific post in that rather lengthy thread where Randy describes how he works.

Steve Winkler
    Good work, Steve - That's the thread Raymond was probably most directly referring to It's a topic that's been touched on many times, but that probably is the most recent and thorough thread.

Your capsulization of the topic is more specific than mine, since people who work "strictly" with MIDI can also be working with soft synth audio tracks. The difference is whether one is working with a folder of actual audio tracks, like the stacks of reel-to-reel tapes people used to deal with. Like I think I say in the thread you found, I need to See the audio I'm working on. Good example is from today. Somehow there was a glitchy kind of sound happening on a MIDI track that I couldn't fix. I could see in the rendered .wav file that there was a sudden fat peak. Since I could see it, I carefully drew in a volume envelope which completely smoothed the offending bit out.

ANd so forth.

Thanks again, Steve!

Randy

Go Back to forum