• Register
  • Help

Topic: Father's World

Father's World

Here is my latest mix for the project I'm working on. It's an arrangement of the hymn This Is My Father's World. The recorder is acoustic (4 recorders edited together, actually - if you pay attention you can here where I change from one instrument to another); the Hammered Dulcimer is Early Patches; the cymbal roll is a sample I found somewhere, and everything else is Garritan (either GPO or JABB).

Feedback is appreciated. I always release here first to get constructive criticism before I go public to a wider audience.

This Is My Father's World

Updated: This Is My Father's World

Re: Father's World

Very nice rendition of one of my favorite hymns. Well executed and a nice selection of instruments used. I loved the recorder sound! About the only suggestion I'd make is about the violin solo at 3:07. I'd bring it out a bit more. It's such a nice part and flows so well with the piano. I would just like to hear more of it. You might even try putting it up an octave.

Great job, Rob!

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician (Gary A.)

Lenovo, Windows 10 64 bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio, Finale 25, Sonar

Thanks, Gary. You know, I already boosted that violin line once, but I think you're right - it could use a little more. I'm also thinking about adding a double bass at the string section part after the piano bridge.

Thanks for listening and the feedback!

Great arrangement! I can't really comment on the mix because I'm listening on built in laptop speakers, but the arrangement and orchestration is top notch. It all flows very nicely.

Steve Winkler

I've made some tweaks and re-mixed.

1. Changed the balances a little, including boosting the violin line at 3:10
    2. Messed with the panning (no one noticed that the original posting was in mono...)
    3. Moved the reverb to a bus so I could control the individual instrument sends
    4. Applied some randomization to the velocity and timing of the hammered dulcimer. This was the only instrument directly imported from Finale rather than played in live, so it was a little too perfect.
    5. I added double basses to the string section to beef them up a bit.

This Is My Father's World

And here is my rather long-winded blog post about the mixing.
    Last edited by raweber; 05-05-2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Forgot the double basses.

Hi Rob. I like very, very much your arrangement of this favorite hymn. I enjoyed too much listening it, it`s refreshing.

Keep up your good music work!
    Marcelo Colina

Very nicely done - it is so easy (too easy) to over-arrange, but what you have done here is to make a lovely piece heard in a fresh way. And it works whether or not one knows the hymn ( I don't, and I really liked this).

I can't comment on the mix/rendering, as I am away from home and listening on laptop speakers ( isn't there a law against this?) - but it still sounds lovely. When I return home, I will have to search it out again to hear it in fuller bloom.

Nice work!
    Ron Pearl

Very nice Rob.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

Go Back to forum