• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Warm sounding strings

Share/Bookmark

Warm sounding strings

- To be honest, I've never heard warm strings from a library. That is, compared to the real thing. Can someone please link to demos that prove me wrong (nice if the library used is specified).

- Consequently, in order to achieve warm strings I've been thinking about dubbing the acoustics samples with analouge synth lines. I've used this a couple of times with success. What's your thoughts on this? Anyone who does this?

- Lastly, are there sites that offer high-end samples grouped per instrument? In other words, I would like to buy single instruments individually instead of large expensive packages. For instance, there are some of the instruments in Silk that would be nice, but I have no use for the whole package. I think you get the idea. Kirk hunter follows this approach some what. Any others?

Re: Warm sounding strings

I think you need to check out the Soft Sustains and the Sordinos in ProjectSAM's Symphobia. Add some Altiverb and you've got more than warmth... you've got TOASTY.

Kerry

I agree with you on the warm sounding strings. I have yet to find a library that sounds as good as the real thing. But again the real thing is the real thing and is a theoretical benchmark. I have ew, gos, Kirk hunter, and some others. The problem is to make static samples come alive. I was listening to some real classical string music for hours the other day, trying to learn the dynamics and variation of sounds. The thing is with real string symphonies, there is not even a single milisecond that something is not changing. Its a constant change, the dynamics timbre, etc is always changing and so fluid and smooth. That's what I belive makes it sound so lively.

So the more and more changes you introduce to a sample library the more and more it comes alive. I think we have come a long way with scripts, etc. Now we have Lass, CS, etc that sound pretty good. Another thing I've noticed is the real thing has an organic woody tone. Lots of violin body resonance. I guess you can try running it thought some violin body convolution. Not sure how that would sound. running a whole section throught a single body impulse. Another thing I think would help is to layer it with a real violin, and blend it in.

Of the ones, I have, I do like Kirk hunter the most for warm strings. But I do not have the new TVEC stuff, I still use the one version.

Dd

Think about how the libraries are recorded... .

When you are at a concert, listening to the orchestra at your place, you hear only the sound what is arriving your ears at your position.

I know that a company is working on a new orchestra lib by using a completely new mic technology. Let us see what will happen there.... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Best thing is to add 2 spoons of chocolate syrup and some whipped cream and maybe a cherry.

Quote Originally Posted by guyB View Post
    Best thing is to add 2 spoons of chocolate syrup and some whipped cream and maybe a cherry.
    Haha, so Guy, I would like to try your homemade chocolate. Chocolate from Belgium has a good reputation here.
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

It's interesting to see mention of analogue synth sounds - I've always thought that synthetic strings sound even better than the real thing, and I've wondered whether that's what I'd use mostly if I were to do any production. Just listen to the gorgeous wet strings in Hot Chocolate's "Everyone's A Winner", with added phasing/chorusing. Awsome.

Greg.

Thanks for your inputs! I'm yet to audit Symphobia.

Quote Originally Posted by sullivang View Post
    It's interesting to see mention of analogue synth sounds - I've always thought that synthetic strings sound even better than the real thing, and I've wondered whether that's what I'd use mostly if I were to do any production. Just listen to the gorgeous wet strings in Hot Chocolate's "Everyone's A Winner", with added phasing/chorusing. Awsome.

Greg.
    It just hit me; is it possible that lack of harmonics is the reason why warmth is not "preserved". As you point out, synths sound better. This makes sense with regard to partial frequencies. A synthesiser generates these correctly. On the other hand, samling using microphones may not capture all of the necesarry harmonics, or? But then again, if a piece is played by an entire orchestra and recorded, it will still sound warm on playback. Hm...

Quote Originally Posted by aavns2010 View Post
    - To be honest, I've never heard warm strings from a library. That is, compared to the real thing.
    I'm interested to know :- do the real recordings of Vivaldi's Four Season sound warm to you? Do the string recordings of the "disco" era sound warm to you? Do the recordings of Psycho sound warm to you? How about Beethoven 5th, or the Rite of Spring?

If you say "yes" to all, then your perceived warmness might be due to the expressive nuances given by live players when they are performing. If "no", then it might be the way of composition, which can significantly alter your way of perceiving warmness, or just the mixing technique involved. But I highly doubt that warmness is just a EQ setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rach3 View Post
    I'm interested to know :- do the real recordings of Vivaldi's Four Season sound warm to you? Do the string recordings of the "disco" era sound warm to you? Do the recordings of Psycho sound warm to you? How about Beethoven 5th, or the Rite of Spring?

If you say "yes" to all, then your perceived warmness might be due to the expressive nuances given by live players when they are performing. If "no", then it might be the way of composition, which can significantly alter your way of perceiving warmness, or just the mixing technique involved. But I highly doubt that warmness is just a EQ setting.
    I completely agree... the feeling of "warmth" is mostly in the flexibility and expression of the phrasing IMO

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast