• Register
  • Help

Topic: how to run the gpo4?

how to run the gpo4?

I have Garage Band. Will that run the GPO4? Or does GPO4 run itself?

Thanks, Kevin in Portland

Re: how to run the gpo4?

Hi, Kevin - I think you haven't received any replies because your question really requires a reply longer than anyone could write in a post here on the Forum.

It sounds like you're new to recording music on a computer, and so there is a very large amount of things for you to learn. Luckily, with Google and other search engines, the information you need is readily available if you start digging in.

GPO4 is a library of orchestral samples which are played by Aria which is a VST "soft synth." All modern sample players and software synths are plug-ins which work inside hosting programs. Many of use sequencers such as Sonar and Cubase. Quite a few of us also use notation programs for making music.

Garage Band is a popular program for putting songs together easily. I have no experience with it, but am rather sure some members here use it. But I really don't know about the compatibility between GPO4 and Garage Band. Theoretically it it should be much the same as when I use GPO/Aria as a plug-in for Sonar, but as to the particulars, and any unique problems involved with it in conjunction with Garage Band, I don't know.

If you're familiar with the app you're using, GB, you must know how to bring in a software synth. If you have GPO4 already, you need to import an instance of Aria and start adding GPO instruments - But I don't know if you actually have GB yet.

That's about all I can say, since I have no experience with your program.

Randy B.

Re: how to run the gpo4?

Hi Kevin.
    GarageBand works with GPO as an AU plug-in.
    AU stands for AudioUnit, Mac's proprietary format.
    When you add a track to your GarageBand project you need to choose an instrument to it, eg GB's own piano.
    You can easily change it aftwards to a GPO instrument via the pencil icon in instrument's setup window.
    Sorry, no GarageBand at hand at the moment to screenshot it.
    But believe me: it's a very easy process to manage.
    Hope it helps.
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Go Back to forum