So a couple years ago I posted a percussion ensemble on northernsounds that was originally written using non-GPO synth instruments. (I had converted it to GPO prior to posting, of course )
However, since I made the conversion to GPO primarily through copying and pasting the notes, the results were, well...less than satisfactory.
I never really enjoyed the middle section of the ensemble, even prior to the conversion to GPO, either. Therefore, I changed the middle section, and rewrote the Coda as well.
As is, everything but the Vibraphone is GPO. This was re-written in Finale2008. I've always enjoyed the up-beat feel to this piece's intro, so I couldn't let it be hindered by a poorly crafted middle section.
Still, I have some personal issues with the current recording, but I feel they may simply be due to having listened to it over and over again, and my ears are simply getting worn from listening to the same thing. It could also be due to my downgrading of headphones, as my previous pair has unfortunately expended its use However, I know all of it cannot be attributed to the headphones, because a couple of my issues are more with the composition itself than with the sound quality.
Either way, I hope you enjoy the content, and I welcome your comments, as they'll be a tremendous help in letting me know what is okay, and what can be fixed.
So, here's a 12-person Percussion ensemble: "The Musical Machination"
Huge fan of your percussion works, btw. I like some of the ideas in it. Try varying the reprise a little bit at the end, but then I can't decide because I like the fact that it comes back. You know, I think your piece would sound really cool with some extra percussive instruments like splash cymbals or just other percussion "toys" to go with it to kind of give it that MACHINEation feel to it. Also, I don't know if the garritan library does a lot for percussion ensemble sounds. Great work though!
Oh my goodness, I thought this one had already been banished to the 2nd page of doom!
Thank you very much for your kind words, it's always flattering to hear I have a fan (unless it's my mom, of course...but then again, I have yet to hear that from her ) I definitely agree about both of your tidbits of advice.
1. The reprise, I agree, sounds nice, but could use some variation. The way it was originally written was just before the triplet section, it went to the coda, which was actually a variation of the thematic material in the beginning. Unfortunately, I felt the variation sounded a bit awkward, so I extended the repeat to include the coda section. I was then going to extend the triplet section into a variation, but cut it short with a short coda. This decision was honestly probably my least favorite choice of the entire piece, but at the time, I'd been working with it for a couple weeks and felt if I tried extending it then, it would be rushed. Perhaps now that I've had a break from it, an extension is due!
2. As far as toys go, I do use a bit more battery in this piece than my previous ensemble, which was more explicitly a mallet feature. The issue I had with some of the more prominent toy percussion was volume. The triangle (probably my favorite part in this piece, btw ) felt at a good place throughout, but the toms and the bass drum were way to quiet, and I just couldn't seem to get them as loud as I would've liked. The GPO bass drum (finale '08 version) has 2 different attacks: one loud, and one quiet. The loud one is a bit too ostentatious for most of what I had planned in this piece, and the quiet one, just barely audible. As far as other toys, I used a few here and there mixed in with the 4 aux. percussion parts, but I probably could've added more to give it a bit more flavor.
Thanks for your comments and for bringing this post back from the dead!