• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: ARIA Pitch Bend Range

Share/Bookmark

ARIA Pitch Bend Range

Hi,

how can I control the pitch bend range in ARIA player?
    I have some midi files using pitch bend and the playback through ARIA has way too much pitch bend range.

Cheers, TinTin

Re: ARIA Pitch Bend Range

Pitch bend range is fixed for ARIA Player instruments.
    You can try with the standard instruments(the pitch bend range is smaller).
    The pitch bend range of notation instruments is one octave.
    Pascal Maheux, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montréal. http://www.plogue.com

Thanks Pascal.
    So I understand that even with midi cc messages this can not be adjusted?

T.

Yes pitch bend range is currently not editable from ARIA Player or with a cc through ARIA Player.

Quote Originally Posted by TinTin71 View Post
    Thanks Pascal.
    So I understand that even with midi cc messages this can not be adjusted?

T.
    Hi TinTin,

Currently you can change the pitch bend range by editing the JABB content/bank files. It's important to note that this change will affect the entire bank and not just a single instrument. I would only try this if you are comfortable editing text/xml files, as this isn't officially supported. Here are some steps you can take as a power user:

- Navigate to your Garritan Jazz and Big Band 3\Banks\2Notation folder
    - Make a backup copy of the file "JABB_NOT.bank.xml"
    - Open the file JABB_NOT.bank.xml with any xml editor you have (most standard text editors can edit xml files without too much trouble)
    - At the top of the file you'll see the following:

<Define name="$bend_up" value="1200" />
    <Define name="$bend_down" value="-1200" />
    Change the bend_up and bend_down values to your desired range (in cents). For instance if you wanted to change the range to 2 steps you'd change the values to:

<Define name="$bend_up" value="200" />
    <Define name="$bend_down" value="-200" />
    - Save your changes to the bank xml file and reload your ARIA player and instrument
    - You can repeat the same steps to the Standard bank if you wish to change it's default range as well.

Gary also mentioned that editing pitch bend range from the ARIA player will be available in a future patch.

Cheers,
    Chad

Chad,

that's great! Editing xml files is not a problem as I am a professional software developer.

Many Thanks,

TinTin

I am currently going through a nightmare of trying to buy and download the upgrade to the Aria version of JABB. I have to say that if pitch bend depth is not adjustable in Aria, then that is a great leap backwards as far as I am concerned. I use pitch bend frequently for various purposes, and the fixed default values (which I expect will be mostly 2 semitones, with 7 semitones for some such as trombones) are distinctly awkward.

Do I understand from the last posts that editing the bank files can only be done for the notation version anyway? If I could get into the bank files for the standard version on an instrument-by-instrument basis, I think I'd be happy with that.
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Ward
    Do I understand from the last posts that editing the bank files can only be done for the notation version anyway?
    No.
    If I could get into the bank files for the standard version on an instrument-by-instrument basis, I think I'd be happy with that.
    You can define the pitch bend range on an instrument-by-instrument basis.
    I recommand you to keep a copy of the original bank file and the edited one.
    Keep in mind that updating or reinstalling the library will overwrite the bank file.

Also you can wait for the next update of the ARIA Player with pitch bend range edit control.

Thanks Pascal, that's encouraging!
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

I have just installed JABB 3 and I'm having problems with trombone glisses.
    The pitchbend CC gives me +/- 2 semitones only.

I notice that in the reference section of the manual (p.95) it says "Trombone pitchbend = +/- 6 semitones". How do you get that range?

I've had a quick look at the XML files and, sure enough, I see
    <Define name="$bend_up" value="200" />
    <Define name="$bend_down" value="-200" />
    and no way, as far as I can tell, to make a different definition for trombones. This makes me suspect that the troms really are stuck at +/- 2 and the only way of getting a larger range would be to increase the range for all instruments. Is that so?
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Go Back to forum