• Register
  • Help

Topic: De-tuning

Share/Bookmark

De-tuning

I have encountered some nasty pitch problems when using JABB 3 with current files. Some instruments (in one case tenor sax in another alto sax) are nearly a half step flat. Could someone help with this?

Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Re: De-tuning

Double check your files to see if you may have pitch bend on the de-tuned instruments. I checked all the instruments with a tuner when beta testing and there were very few files out of tune.

Jim

Cool Re: De-tuning

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been through every one of the loaded instruments (17 piece big band instrumentation) and did find one where Portamento had been accidentally turned up. I corrected that. None of the other instruments indicate any portamento on. Is there a separate place to check for pitch bend being turned on? I'm looking at the settings for each in the Aria player window (Controls).

Also I have a tutti chord early in the piece that lasts for a few bars. I get a long portamento upwards from one of the instruments. Very weird behaviour. May be linked?

Thanks for any and all help on this.

Paul
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Re: De-tuning

After much experimentation, I isolated the instrument that was doing a massive pitch bend and tried turning off expressions in the instrument list. The problem went away.

AHA....So I turned off Human Playback (set it to none) and all my problems went away.

And a warning to others: Earlier, I attached a downward gliss to several woodwind notes and tried playing back and Finale crashed. I called Make Music Tech Support and they had me take out the glisses and said that it was known that they can cause a crash when using Human Playback. I've been able to reproduce the crash and its solution so I guess we wait for an update.

Any other weird experiences with Human Playback reported?

Go Back to forum