• Register
  • Help

Topic: Jabb 3 pre order questions

Share/Bookmark

Smile Jabb 3 pre order questions

Hi guys

can someone answer a few q's for me please.

1.do the horns in Jabb3 have all the needed articulations to make a half decent funk section
    ie shakes growls falls etc.

2.can the keyswtiches be changed

3.how is it running with Snow leopard 10.6.3 and logic 9.11

4.is mac aria 64 bit

5.why is jabb 3 half the size of the Kontakt version, is there thing missing or does arai use compression.

thanks in advance for any help.

Matt

ps, I use and love plogue products so I have high hopes for aria,

Re: Jabb 3 pre order questions

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Hooper View Post
    1.do the horns in Jabb3 have all the needed articulations to make a half decent funk section
    ie shakes growls falls etc.
    According to the manual, JABB3 has flutter and shakes for all brass, also air noise and klicks/valve noise for all winds. Falls, kisses and doits for trumpets...

2.can the keyswtiches be changed
    No.

3.how is it running with Snow leopard 10.6.3 and logic 9.11
    I don't know. I still use Leopard.

4.is mac aria 64 bit
    Not on Mac.

5.why is jabb 3 half the size of the Kontakt version, is there thing missing or does arai use compression.
    Because even if Kontakt is one of the best samplers (maybe the best one), it's still ugly. It uses raw wave files (uncompressed if you will). Editors that uses their own technology to read samples are smarter than Kontakt. That's why I personally will never buy a library running under Kontakt. But it is only a subjective explanation.

I hope you'll make the right decision.

I personally blindly buy Garritan's libraries as they are smart, very complete and the price is sexy. You won't find better for the price.

Cheers!

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

thanks

the thing that is worrying me is it seems articulations like falls etc
    have to be entered via ccs and not keyswitches.

It would be good if there was a demo instrument so I could
    see how it is using ccs, I am so used to keyswitches using
    orchestral librarys.

Are you playing these in live, or doing renderings? For live playing I can see where using CC15 to control the releases would be cumbersome, but for recording and rendering it's just something to keep track of. The decision was made to use keyswitching to control the mutes.

That being said, if you are brave and smart, you could edit the sfz definition file to make the releases into keyswitches instead of CC15. There's a lot of stuff on the web about writing and editing sfz's (nothing like what's been written about Kontakt, but plenty none the less).

I would copy the sfz that came with JABB and edit the copy, thought - just sayin'

What i tend to do is play a part using a legato patch then
    use logics meta data in score edit to drop in articulations.

Having say c0 leg, c#1 fall etc etc makes it easier
    to have universal switching, it benefits live playing and sequencing.

I guess I could hack thing in logics environments but chris
    hein horns has key switching for all articulations afaik.

But 4x the price.

Quote Originally Posted by raweber View Post
    Are you playing these in live, or doing renderings? For live playing I can see where using CC15 to control the releases would be cumbersome, but for recording and rendering it's just something to keep track of. The decision was made to use keyswitching to control the mutes.

That being said, if you are brave and smart, you could edit the sfz definition file to make the releases into keyswitches instead of CC15. There's a lot of stuff on the web about writing and editing sfz's (nothing like what's been written about Kontakt, but plenty none the less).

I would copy the sfz that came with JABB and edit the copy, thought - just sayin'

Are you saying it's possible to edit a txt file to
    change ccs to notes to change articulations?

Are you saying it's possible to edit a txt file to
    change ccs to notes to change articulations?
    What I'm saying is that the sfz definition file can be edited in a text editor and the lines that cause the cc to select the sample for the release can be changed so that keyswitches change those articulations.

So, yes.

BTW, there might be some conflict between the keyswitching for the mutes and the keyswitching for the releases. I haven't looked at the sfz definition files for JABB3 because I'm still on JABB2, which is on Kontakt. Could require some experimentation...

Go Back to forum