• Register
  • Help

Topic: Best Orchestral Woodwinds

Share/Bookmark

Re: Best Orchestral Woodwinds

Tom, you are using the Roland 5080 right?

I found several useful woodwind patches on the AO set, especially the soft versions. But I actually still use several woodwind patches off my Roland JV1080, especially the flute from the Sessions Card and the oboe and clarinet from the Orchestral card.

If you watch \"West Wing\" on NBC, the guy who does their music uses the JV Orchestral Card oboe all the time.

I\'ve heard some people say good things about the Dan Dean Woodwinds, but I have not had the chance to listen to them. I wish Dan had more demo songs available.

If you want a short demo of the AO woodwinds mixed with the Roland ones, check out the \"Woman of Affairs\" piece I have up at http://www.mp3.com/JamieHall

It makes pretty extensive use of woodwinds, especially the AO bassoon and english horn.

[This message has been edited by Jamieh (edited 08-04-2001).]

Tom,

I purchased the Dan Dean Woodwinds a couple months ago. I think they are the best samples available at this time and they use the power of GigaStudio. They use keyswitching to vary between all of the articulations. They also include full versions and light versions when you don\'t have enough memory.

I still blend these with AO, Xsample and Roland XP-30 which has the Orchestra 1 & 2 sets in it. I may use the following blend:

Flute 1 - Dan Dean
    Flute 2 - AO
    Flute 3 - Roland
    Piccolo - Dan Dean
    Oboe 1 - Dan Dean
    Oboe 2 - Xsample
    Oboe 3 - Roland
    English Horn - Dan Dean
    Clarinet 1 - Xsample
    Clarinet 2 - Dan Dean
    Bass Clarinet - Xsample
    Bassoon 1 - Dan Dean
    Bassoon 2 - Xsample
    Contrabassoon - Xsample

I usually detune the instruments slightly. I very the instruments around depending on the range and style. Each library excels in different areas. The Dan Dean Woodwinds have become the 1st players in many instances.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jamieh:
    Tom, you are using the Roland 5080 right?

I found several useful woodwind patches on the AO set, especially the soft versions. But I actually still use several woodwind patches off my Roland JV1080, especially the flute from the Sessions Card and the oboe and clarinet from the Orchestral card.

If you watch \"West Wing\" on NBC, the guy who does their music uses the JV Orchestral Card oboe all the time.

I\'ve heard some people say good things about the Dan Dean Woodwinds, but I have not had the chance to listen to them. I wish Dan had more demo songs available.

If you want a short demo of the AO woodwinds mixed with the Roland ones, check out the \"Woman of Affairs\" piece I have up at http://www.mp3.com/JamieHall

It makes pretty extensive use of woodwinds, especially the AO bassoon and english horn.

[This message has been edited by Jamieh (edited 08-04-2001).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Jamieh....was that the AO bassoon that opens your piece? That was very good indeed, as was the EH or OB I heard later in the piece....
    I\'m on a 5080 for only another week or so, then I will be on the GIGA...I\'m waiting for it from Soundchaser......eagerly!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haydn:
    Tom,

I purchased the Dan Dean Woodwinds a couple months ago. I think they are the best samples available at this time and they use the power of GigaStudio. They use keyswitching to vary between all of the articulations. They also include full versions and light versions when you don\'t have enough memory.

I still blend these with AO, Xsample and Roland XP-30 which has the Orchestra 1 & 2 sets in it. I may use the following blend:

Flute 1 - Dan Dean
    Flute 2 - AO
    Flute 3 - Roland
    Piccolo - Dan Dean
    Oboe 1 - Dan Dean
    Oboe 2 - Xsample
    Oboe 3 - Roland
    English Horn - Dan Dean
    Clarinet 1 - Xsample
    Clarinet 2 - Dan Dean
    Bass Clarinet - Xsample
    Bassoon 1 - Dan Dean
    Bassoon 2 - Xsample
    Contrabassoon - Xsample

I usually detune the instruments slightly. I very the instruments around depending on the range and style. Each library excels in different areas. The Dan Dean Woodwinds have become the 1st players in many instances.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the complete rundown! I will go listen to Dan\'s mp3s again....

Yes, it is the AO bassoon that opens it up. I believe the other instrument you are referring to is the AO oboe. The AO english horn is good as well. However while all of these instruments do well on the pp setting, the ff setting is not as convincing to my ears. And unfortunatley AO doesn\'t have any settings between pp and ff.

I still want to play with the Dan Dean stuff sometime.

Best Orchestral Woodwinds

OK guys, what\'s the consensus on the woodwinds for symphonic stuff? I\'m not talking about flutes sampled with a mike one foot away, either.

Is there anything out there that approaches the samples in the Newton Howard demo? Miroslav perhaps? XSample?

Go Back to forum