• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: 64bits, ram, CPU for libs questions

Share/Bookmark

64bits, ram, CPU for libs questions

Hi All,

I see the day of upgrading my 32bit machine coming fast with prices going down on ram and i7 CPU.... However, I`m having a hard time figuring out up to what amount fo ram it is worth investing and I was wondering if any of you can share their experiences and findings.

More precisely, 8GB is now pretty standard and cheap, however prices go up quickly when considering 16 or even 24(tri-channel)GB and the main interogation I have is that even with the latest i7 processor, can a single machine really support the polyphony generated by such amount of samples loaded up in ram? Is any of you really replace all their slaves by a single machine simply by having a huge amount of memory? And finally is tri-channel ram making a difference in sampler performance over dual channel?

Thanks in advance.

Re: 64bits, ram, CPU for libs questions

2GB RAM is inexpensive. 4GB RAM is expensive. That’s way you want to get a MB with 6 memory slots, to get you up to 12GB at a reasonable cost.

And yes, a single machine can do a lot. Check out the demo on the VSL site where they do a mockup of the Rite of Spring on a single x64 system.

I use Omnisphere and with 3GB of ram it was not enough although I was being lazy and using it to open up lots of patches at once so I don't have to go looking for my fave ones again. I upgraded to Windows 7 64bit so I could use all 6GB of ram and I can now open as many VST and patches as I want.

If your buying a Intel Core i7 you need to buy 3GB DDR3 or 6GB DDR3 as i7 motherboards read ram in sticks of 3s. So buy 3x 2GB sticks with the lowest latency numbers.

The Core i7 920 2.66ghz can run aps faster than the latest 3.4Ghz AMD processors and you can overclock the i7 2.66hz to 3.5 Ghz and stay well below the max temps if you buy a good CPU cooler like the Coolermaster v8. For most applications 3- 4GB is loads but for Omnisphere 6GB if you want to go mad with it.

My i7 3.5Ghz , 6GB ram rig runs Omnisphere and Alicia's keys with no noticible latency and no crackle at 96khz.

32 bit systems are over with for me. Have been for some time.
    I do not see the point when any general computer today NEEDS 4 gigs let alone a DAW.

I use 3 networked i7 machines primarily with 12 gigs each on Win 7 64.
    However, my setup is fairly simple.
    Cubase 5 and Kontakt 4.
    That's it.
    Apart from the libraries of course.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Thanks for the replies.

Chalfant, why are you still requiring 3 systems with 12 GB each, are they all have their memory maxed out by the different libs you are using? Do you feel that with 24GB on one machine you could spare having one less slave or will the CPU choke up trying to do so? I'm just trying to figure out if investing in more memory could spare me the need of a slave...

Quote Originally Posted by labou View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Chalfant, why are you still requiring 3 systems with 12 GB each, are they all have their memory maxed out by the different libs you are using? Do you feel that with 24GB on one machine you could spare having one less slave or will the CPU choke up trying to do so? I'm just trying to figure out if investing in more memory could spare me the need of a slave...
    Sorry, been out of town and offline......

OK, I could do with one less slave but I like keeping one machine for Vienna only and one for EW stuff. The third is for mixed libraries and old Akai stuff.
    I have them so why not use them is really the thing.

Here's the rub though.

It's difficult getting motherboards to support over 12gigs unless you get a server MOBO or buy 1x4 gig dimms which are very expensive.
    1x4 gig sticks of ram are around $400 for anything decent.

When you're doing 200 tracks with highend orchestral samples and do not wish to bounce you need 12 gigs minimum on 2 machines.

It really depends on what you want to do.........
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

I moved to a one machine setup two years ago, and would never go back to multiple machines, unless there was some fantastic new break in technology that "made" me change. I currently have 48GB RAM, although the old machine had 32GB. I load roughly 24GB in my orchestral template, using VE Pro, and still have plenty of room for loading extras on a track by track basis.

D

May I ask what machine you have that sports 48 GB? I'm using a Sonica Audio Labs with 8 GB - it's great but if I could find something with 24+ GB I may think about upgrading.

There are boards from both Tyan and Supermicro.

D

Thanks Daryl for the info, however I thought that more you increase the amount of RAM more you were likely to fall in some others bottle neck like CPU or drive speed, did you had to overcome any of the too in your `monster`machine?

Go Back to forum