• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The cabinet of dr.caligari act one

Share/Bookmark

The cabinet of dr.caligari act one and two (NEW!)

Hi ! it's a long time since i posted something

here's my latest work:

http://www.vimeo.com/11339005

it was produced with finale 2007 and the garritan personal orchestra (finale edition)...the formation it's not the modern "grande orchestra" but the classical orchestra: 2 flauti, 2 oboi, 2 clarinetti in Sib, 2 fagotti, 4 corni, 2 trombe + archi

it's more like "music inspired from the movie"...hope you like it

please give me some feedback!

SECOND ACT HERE:

http://vimeo.com/12647282

Re: The cabinet of dr.caligari act one

I've so far listened only to the first 5 minutes and the last 4 or so.

It's good, although some parts seem more congruent with the images than others. But as "pure" music, it's quite good. The sound is a bit dry, and the balance between woodwinds and the rest of the orchestra doesn't seem always right (as if you're using volume/fader changes as well as mod-wheel expression), but in general the sound is quite natural.

There are some lovely themes, and there are gritty, dark, expressionistic parts, and the whole still has a natural flow. It has a "tone poem" feel to it. And you've written quite a lot of music (almost 21 minutes!).

Good work.
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    I've so far listened only to the first 5 minutes and the last 4 or so.

It's good, although some parts seem more congruent with the images than others. But as "pure" music, it's quite good. The sound is a bit dry, and the balance between woodwinds and the rest of the orchestra doesn't seem always right (as if you're using volume/fader changes as well as mod-wheel expression), but in general the sound is quite natural.

There are some lovely themes, and there are gritty, dark, expressionistic parts, and the whole still has a natural flow. It has a "tone poem" feel to it. And you've written quite a lot of music (almost 21 minutes!).

Good work.
    Thank you!

you're right, at some point I decided to go on with the music instead of following the images, that's why there's a first movement of a simphony (with the regular forma-sonata) hidden in this part! I don't know how to handle the mixer in finale, i just write music with the standard settings...maybe with some regulations it can produce a better sound...i dont know...

however this is only the first act, i'm working on the second act, it's long about 26 minutes again! i'll post it when i'll finish it ...

DG;
    Wow!! A very sophisticated, well-informed and well executed soundtrack!
    And you are fortunate to be connected to such a production! I enjoyed the sets and costumes, including Alan's hairdo and the organ grinder complete with little monkey! What if David Lynch decided to make a period silent film based on this story? I can see a lot of clever hands at work in this film, including your own; what a wonderful experience it must be!
    Congratulations on your work so far, I look forward to more!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

This is really very well done, indeed. Scoring to silent movies always scares me (I write for film) and I think you have done a fantastic job here. The music you have written is a character itself and participates in the story. It makes my retro-horror piece sound amateur!

Nice work and thanks so much for sharing this brave, bold and daring accomplishment! I love it!
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall
    http://pjdeakin.blogspot.com/

thank you all!! this gives me great motivation to keep working on the second act...

up

the second act is out !!!

http://vimeo.com/12647282

please let me know what you think about it!

Hi, I'm new here, and I'm working my way through pieces posted by other users.

I'm really impressed by your composition. Composing to the images looks like a great way to create a vastly eclectic and dynamic piece that's always moving.

My main criticism would be the overall mix, which is little too 'dry' in parts and not blending in sections - the woodwinds blare a little too much and there might be a bit of phasing (same samples doubling up playing the same notes) but I'm not sure. Some string chords and phrases come across as 'synthy' for example.

I'm not familiar with Finale 2007s playback features, (I've only ever used Finale 2010) but I found that leaving the dynamics up to the human playback feature instead, and squaring off most of the levels in Garritan to almost the same for each instrument, produces a more settled mix as long as you use the notation dynamics and hairpins a lot (it might look messy on the score, but in playback it works).

Doing it the other way I found that if you compensate for a loud instrument with a volume fader, you ruin how it is mixed elsewhere. Of course I've no idea if this is how you set it up or not, but the levels are a little too heavy in places (even a bit of distortion gets through).

Still, the composition is forever interesting as it swells and changes. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    Hi, I'm new here, and I'm working my way through pieces posted by other users.

I'm really impressed by your composition. Composing to the images looks like a great way to create a vastly eclectic and dynamic piece that's always moving.

My main criticism would be the overall mix, which is little too 'dry' in parts and not blending in sections - the woodwinds blare a little too much and there might be a bit of phasing (same samples doubling up playing the same notes) but I'm not sure. Some string chords and phrases come across as 'synthy' for example.

I'm not familiar with Finale 2007s playback features, (I've only ever used Finale 2010) but I found that leaving the dynamics up to the human playback feature instead, and squaring off most of the levels in Garritan to almost the same for each instrument, produces a more settled mix as long as you use the notation dynamics and hairpins a lot (it might look messy on the score, but in playback it works).

i'm gonna try that! thank you...however i make LARGE use of dynamics, accents, hairpins and all kind of things, so the main problem it's the playback sistem

well i'm planning to go on finale 2010 and do a remastering when the work will be over !

thank you very much for the feedback, it's essential...

Downgrade - I haven't been to our Listening Room for many months. When I decided to drop by a little while ago, my eyes immediately were attracted by the title of your thread, since "Caligari" is a film I hold in great esteem.

Since I love the film so much, I admit to be a tad trepidatious when I clicked on the link.

My fears/concerns were assuaged almost instantly. Within a very short time I could hear for myself that you have risen to the task at hand with a striking combination of admirable sincerity and confident talent. You have created what has to be the best sound track I've ever heard for "Caligari."

Simply great.

(---I had the impression that someone on this thread thinks this is a new film?--maybe I misunderstood.)

Not to be argumentative, but to offer my own feedback on something brought up on this thread - I find your level of reverb to be Perfect for this. And I'm perplexed by the feedback about the woodwinds being too high in the mix. - both of those elements are spot on, in my opinion, as per my taste.

People are so accustomed to the modern HUGe sound with large orchestras sounding like they're playing from the bottom of the Grand Canyon. They seem to forget that for most of cinema sound track history, a much smaller sound, especially less reverberant sound has been the style. Most older movies sound like they were recorded in not very large studios - because that's where they Were recorded. I find the results much more dramatic, even more musical.

So, I see from your posts that you actually let Finale do what it may with the levels and reverb - To me, those settings, however they were arrived at, work very well.

Tremendous. I've rarely been so pleased to have clicked on a Listening Room post.

A toast to you.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast