• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Standard vs. Notation?

Share/Bookmark

Standard vs. Notation?

I just installed GPO4 and the instrument files are partitioned between "Standard" and "Notation". I read through both documents that came with the software and I saw nothing discussing why there are two sets. Does anyone know?

Re: Standard vs. Notation?

Last I knew it wasn't documented (and really should be). The "notation" instruments are used when GPO is used as a plugin for notation software programs.

There are 2 major differences between the the 2 differences between the 2 sets of instruments:
    1. The notation instruments have the keyswitch notes in the lowest octave - starting at MIDI note 0.
    2. The notation instruments use CC#68 (in accordance with the MIDI standard) rather than Sustain (CC#64) for legato control.

I vaguely remember there is some additional difference, but I don't remember what.

Pat

That is exactly right. There have been many discussion on this topic from time to time. Pat has hit the nail on the head as to what the differences are and I have to tell you that if you are using Finale, it is a must to use the notation version in your scores. This is noted by the n- before the name of each instrument as in n-Violins I etc.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Smile Re: Standard vs. Notation?

I know someone who does use Finale, but I am a Sonar man. It meshes better with my interests in videography/cinematography. So your elaborations might partiallty explain why the Aria player is making good sound on my systerm while the standalone player isonly making garbled sounds. Have you ever heard anyone having this problem? I'm running Windows 7-64.

Hi, Pablo - Your question has been ably answered. You definitely want to use the Standard set of samples for Sonar work. I'm a Sonar man myself.

But that really has nothing to do with what you bring up about the stand-alone Aria player making garbled sounds while the VST sounds fine in Sonar. Same for me--and it's always been that way. Somehow the stand-alone just doesn't play nice with my audio interface, no matter what settings I choose. Hopefully the stand-alone isn't that crucial to you. It isn't for me--I rarely touch it, just when I'm in a hurry and want to test a fragment of a musical idea, or want to audition an instrument.

As long as it's working well for you in Sonar--hopefully that's sufficient for you.

Randy B.

G’day Pablo,

Notation or standard instruments work ok on my system in standalone.

Herbert
    GPO, JABB, CMB, GWI, GOFRILLER, HALION PLAYER, ACCORDIONS by E Tarilonte
    Cubase 6, Notation Composer, VSTHost, GoldWave audio editor.

Interests:
    Good Food, Gemütlichkeit, Wein Weib und Gesang – History, Politics, Civil Law –
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

Quote Originally Posted by sonata5920 View Post
    G’day Pablo,

Notation or standard instruments work ok on my system in standalone.

Herbert
    That's great, Herbert. Maybe you could clue Pablo in to how that works for you. Just knowing it works for you doesn't help much without details.

Randy

G’day Randy,

You said:

“That's great, Herbert. Maybe you could clue Pablo in to how that works for you. Just knowing it works for you doesn't help much without details.”

Here is your clue. - Most people have few problems with software if any. I am one of them - touch wood - So far I have been able to resolve any problem. - touch wood - If you have found a bug, report it. Most software producers want to be notified about bugs. At times, I have hit a bug and reported it.

Best wishes,

Herbert

Interests:
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

Quote Originally Posted by PabloMack View Post
    the standalone player isonly making garbled sounds. Have you ever heard anyone having this problem? I'm running Windows 7-64.
    Likely a driver or buffer issue. Make sure you're using an ASIO driver, if your soundcard manufacturer didn't supply one you can use this excellent free version;

Linky

Try different buffer size settings also if you're still getting garbled sound, what will work for you depends on your particular hardware.

Spot on Tony

Herbert

Interests:

Go Back to forum