• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Grieg - Aase's Death (ensemble building)

Share/Bookmark

Grieg - Aase's Death (ensemble building)

Hi ,

I recently purchased my upgrade from GPO2 to GPO4, and I have been enjoying working with the new ARIA player. I had an old project made with GPO2 that I updated to GPO4. It's a rendition of "Aase's Death" by Edvard Grieg, played entirely by the Plr1+2+3 solo string instruments (45 in total).

I have uploaded a YouTube video that plays the piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOIlQuJFlEU

The video has text annotations explaining how I have set up the ensemble building using my host Podium, so I wasn't sure if I should post this in the listening room or the support/tutorial forum.

Cheers,
    Frits

Re: Grieg - Aase's Death (ensemble building)

Hello Frits and Welcome!
    You certainly have not arrived empty-handed! That is a beautiful and moving rendition of Aase's Death and moreover, you have introduced me to Podium, which has moved to the front of the line as my next software purchase!
    I can see another learning curve ahead...........can't wait to get it!

Thanks for sharing!!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Apart from the occasional unexpected vibrato, this is a really convincing rendering. The sound is very deep and "oily", if you can say that about sound. And it does sound better than just using the ensemble patches. Wow. I'm going to experiment with all these players too, very inspiring. Thanks!
    Theo

Beautifully done! This should be used on the Garritan Demo page, as it makes for an excellent advertisement for GPO. I, too will check out Podium - but I suspect that it is the user - you - who is responsible for this lovely rendition, rather than the tool.

Bravo!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Thanks for the comments. "Oily" sound is ok with me .

Since there are only a limited number of Plr1+2+3 instruments, all of them are used more than once. So to avoid phasing issues, I needed to use various tricks to add variation to each individual instrument. I did that by setting up randomization of note timing, velocity, intonation and timbre, and offsetting each sequence slightly along the timeline. Also the placement of the ARIA player mono audio outputs in different positions in the reverb hall helped with masking any phasing that could still remain.

It sounds like a complicated setup, but once I had it done, it is very easy to work on the composition. All the instruments in each section/divisi share the same note sequence, so even though you have a lot of instruments playing, you only need to edit the principal player in each string section when you work on the composition.

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    ...and moreover, you have introduced me to Podium, which has moved to the front of the line as my next software purchase!
    I can see another learning curve ahead...........can't wait to get it!
    If you intend to try Podium, then a good place to start could be to experiment with the project file that I demonstrate in the video. You can download it from here:

http://www.zynewave.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2276

Very very well done Frits. Outstanding job on the performance and recording.

I'll have to check out Podium as well. I'm currently a Reaper user which is priced similarly so it would be a matter of ease of use and features that would persuade me to use something else.

Thanks for sharing this,

Steve Winkler

Frits,
    Very impressive! Beautiful sound. Thanks for the tutorial.
    I'm still using GPO Studio v1.2. I guess it's time to move up.
    Jeff

All has been said...

Very impressive.

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Frits;
    I have downloaded and installed the Podium demo. Then I downloaded and opened the Aases Death file. Everything was OK and I will be dissecting that file to see what is going on and better understand Podium.

I have a question, your video posted here shows your computer playing back the entire mix. Although I was able render and export the piece, (sounded just like yours), when I have it all loaded up and press the play button, it won't play. What are your computers specs? I suspect they are more robust than mine, Intel 3.25 Ghz single core processor and 2 GB of RAM.
    I also was able to create a new project, use the Aria Player on a track, apply effects, etc. without too much head scratching.

Thanks.

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    I have a question, your video posted here shows your computer playing back the entire mix. Although I was able render and export the piece, (sounded just like yours), when I have it all loaded up and press the play button, it won't play. What are your computers specs? I suspect they are more robust than mine, Intel 3.25 Ghz single core processor and 2 GB of RAM.
    My PC specs: 2.66 GHz Core2Duo (i.e. two cores), and 2 GB RAM.

With those specs, I have to increase the ASIO buffer size to 1024 to avoid getting clicks caused by CPU spikes.

Note that you can reduce the CPU usage by bouncing/freezing each string section that you are not currently working on. Just select a group track ("Violins I", "Violins II", "Violas", etc.), and press the "B" shortcut key. If you prefer not to use key shortcuts, you can right-click the group track and use the "Bounce" submenu. When you want to resume work on a bounced string section, just toggle the "B" button on the track header off.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast