• Register
  • Help

Topic: Quartet or quintet

Share/Bookmark

Quartet or quintet

I wonder whether someone could shed some light on the differences and why you would choose one over the other, etc.?

Re: Quartet or quintet

Well, when I re-tube amplifiers I always prefer to get a matched set so I guess that would require a quartet. Never heard of an amplifier with 5 output tubes so I guess a quintet would be out of the question.

Of course, if we're talking beer then I imagine you'd prefer a quintet. That's just one short of a six-pack, you know.

Ernie

See, I assumed he meant "string".

The effect the presence or lack of bass is that to me quartet sounds much more intimate and works also better when mixed with an electric band instruments for example, since the bass already comes from outside of the string section and isn't therefore needed that much. You'd EQ it out anyway.

And then on the other hand, to me quintet sounds more like a small string section of on orchestra than five strings. An orchestral quality. Quartet has this more intimate and "wooden", harsher sound.

That could be maybe compared to EQing the bass away from any sound. The sound becomes less full, but you notice the higher registers in much more detail. The same thing happens when you remove the bass from a quintet.
    Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
    My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
    Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz

Quote Originally Posted by karvasika View Post
    The effect the presence or lack of bass is that to me quartet sounds much more intimate and works also better when mixed with an electric band instruments for example, since the bass already comes from outside of the string section and isn't therefore needed that much. You'd EQ it out anyway.

And then on the other hand, to me quintet sounds more like a small string section of on orchestra than five strings. An orchestral quality. Quartet has this more intimate and "wooden", harsher sound.

That could be maybe compared to EQing the bass away from any sound. The sound becomes less full, but you notice the higher registers in much more detail. The same thing happens when you remove the bass from a quintet.
    Cool, then quartet is perhaps what I'm after. Thanks for sharing your insight!

Go Back to forum