• Register
  • Help

Topic: Garritan for Live Hip-Hop Performance

Share/Bookmark

Garritan for Live Hip-Hop Performance

This is a track I madly worked on for a small concert this saturday 8th May.

No singing or rapping in this track as it's done live. Orchestration gets more interesting at around 4.40 seconds.

I sequenced this in Reaper 3.4. I used the IK Multimedia Tracks 670 compressor to add vintage colour to the different tracks. The Reverbs were free Bricasti M7 Impulse Responses that I downloaded. I ran them in LAConvolver, a free convolution plugin. (unfortunately does not allow me to adjust the tail of the reverb to keep them short. So a bit of a compromise)

The drums are BFD2 standard set. Bass was a junky $150 (new) stirling bass DI'd and Ampltiube SVX uno.

All orchestral instruments were strictly Garritan GPO4. The SAM brass was included in GPO4. I used some basic shelving EQ from Reaper called ReaEQ.

Skeptikal - I wonder

All comments welcome...
    regards,

Dwane Hollands

"Always Experimenting!"

Re: Garritan for Live Hip-Hop Performance

Quote Originally Posted by dwanehollands View Post
    Orchestration gets more interesting at around 4.40 seconds.
    If so, why then not starting with an intro to this interesting stuff to draw attention and then going back to the more relaxed phrases. I can't see the timing, because it is playing in QuickTime.....

It has a very relaxing mood, but with a bit more variation it can be very attractive, now you are repeating that same piano phrases all over again..... ha, finally that so-called interesting orchestration starts....... Definitely you should have this as an appetizer in front of the piece.........(a shortcut of it).

It ends too abrupt.....

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    If so, why then not starting with an intro to this interesting stuff to draw attention and then going back to the more relaxed phrases. I can't see the timing, because it is playing in QuickTime.....

It has a very relaxing mood, but with a bit more variation it can be very attractive, now you are repeating that same piano phrases all over again..... ha, finally that so-called interesting orchestration starts....... Definitely you should have this as an appetizer in front of the piece.........(a shortcut of it).

It ends too abrupt.....

Raymond
    Hi Raymond!

Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and comment!

I hear what you mean about the variation. I would have liked to create much different orchestrated versions for each chorus so that it's more progressive and interesting. I just ran out of time. I'm getting on a plane today and won't even see the first performance, so I had to finish it last night.

Hmm, the appetiser is a good idea. Perhaps a slower solo instrument quietly playing over the piano intro.

Yeah I cheated with the piano, by doing cut and paste. I really hate that I did that, but I need it to be finished and was having all kinds of frustrations with my digital piano. (M-Audio Prokeys88). Totally hate the feel of the keys. It's touch sensetivity is terrible. Ughh. It's so hard to play delicate soft passages. It just plays them much louder, even though I am so softly touching the keys! It was cheap and I needed a full length so I'm now paying for it now! (sorry, rant over)

Yeah it does end pretty abruptly. It's over 6 minutes long so for a Hip-Hop song it's pretty long.

I presumed by this time the listener had enough .... time to end it. ha ha : )
    regards,

Dwane Hollands

"Always Experimenting!"

Quote Originally Posted by dwanehollands View Post
    Hmm, the appetiser is a good idea. Perhaps a slower solo instrument quietly playing over the piano intro.
    Keep in mind what Prokofiev replied on a comment: "I don't want the audience to get bored".

Raymond

I think that words would make this piece come alive. The instrumentals are good, but to me it seems that this piece begs for a vocal performance on top. I found myself humming out words and felt the piece felt more complete with the presence of words. Trust me, its destined to be a pretty piece.

Quote Originally Posted by nievesvillasenor View Post
    I think that words would make this piece come alive. The instrumentals are good, but to me it seems that this piece begs for a vocal performance on top. I found myself humming out words and felt the piece felt more complete with the presence of words. Trust me, its destined to be a pretty piece.
    Hi nievesvillasenor!

Thanks for your kind words. Yeah the singing definetly adds another dimension to the music! The rap after the climax is kinda unexpected so it adds to the interest of the song. Particularly since it's kind of a r & b song for the first 3/4s.

Thanks for listening and for commenting!
    regards,

Dwane Hollands

"Always Experimenting!"

Go Back to forum