• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Zimmer and The Planets

Share/Bookmark

Re: Zimmer and The Planets

Old news Damon

Indeed Hans Zimmer\'s battle track from the Gladiator is remarkably similar to Holst\'s \"Mars\" music.

Said Hans in a recent interview:

\"On the Hannibal album, there\'s a piece that\'s about 7-minutes long, and it\'s 2-minutes long in the film. It\'s a very Mahler-esque piece. Everyone wants to know that I steal from Holst, well I steal from Mahler too!\" (laughs)

\"To argue that Gladiator is a Holst rip-off is boring\" - anybody can tell that he influenced it - \"it doesn\'t make you very smart! It\'s easy to point at those things, just as it\'s easy to point to Holst - when really I meant Vaughan Williams!!\" (laughs)

I didn\'t think the world of the battle music in the gladiator, and I don\'t know whether it is due to the holst-\"ripoff\" or if it\'s just too incoherent. Don\'t get me wrong, I think it works great in the movie. It\'s just that 10 minutes of action music, as heard on the cd, gets a bit tiresome on my ears.

The rest of the music on The Gladiator score cd by far outshines the heavy action sequences. Incredible music.
    Still I believe that Hans wrote some of his finest music yet, with the \"Heart of a volunteer\" track on the Pearl Harbor score. But that\'s just me.

Btw does anybody know why Lisa Gerrard was disqualified in the Academy Awards?

[This message has been edited by Thomas_J (edited 07-31-2001).]

As long as you\'re just influenced and not ripping off whole parts of something I don\'t have a problem with it - afterall everybody have been doing that from the beginning of mankind. Thomas - I think Pearl Harbor sums up very well how the worst score for a movie should sound: No recognizable themes, smeared in huuuuuuuuuge string sections that just seem to go on playing for like 120 minutes without a single break. The score made the movie even worse than the movie was.

I don\'t have a problem with that either. Like you said, it\'s been like that since the beginning of mankind. People have always been influencing each other.

Regarding your view on the Pearl Harbor score, well that\'s how different we are. I loved the Pearl Harbor score, and there is indeed a memorable theme. Listen to the last track on the cd once more and tell me that is not great music. I was humming that very theme when I left the cinemas. The movie was good as well. Frankly I don\'t see why everyone is bashing this movie. I thought it was much better than anything else I\'ve seen recently and that includes:
    The Mummy 2
    Traffic
    Memento
    Tomb Raider

I guess I just tend to like the \"grand\" Hollywood blockbusters with _good_ epic scores.

The return of the Mummy was just silly and the characters were annoying. The music was less than ok.

Traffic had an okey plot and a few original twists. The music was crappy and boring and the movie wasn\'t all that interesting in the end.

Tomb Raider had a cool story and some nice special fx\'s. Too bad the music sucked. What\'s with all these god d*mned rock/pop songs they keep cramming into soundtracks nowadays?

Anyway, I don\'t care if the love story is somewhat thin. It\'s still a good movie. And the special fx\'s are to die for :=) And so is Zimmer\'s music.

Thomas

I was not a huge fan of Zimmer\'s work, with the possible exception of his score for The Lion King, until I heard his score for The Thin Red Line. What a masterpiece that is!

As a whole The Thin Red Line was a mixed bag for me. Moments of absolute brilliance nearly denied by an equal number of flaws, first and foremost the director\'s inability (lack of musical sensibility, perhaps?) to really exploit the phenomenal score Zimmer created for him. If only they had spared us those trite voiceovers and let the music come forward instead..

When I first heard the score I could not believe that it was penned by Zimmer.. it is a complete departure from Zimmer\'s \"action\" formulas, a model of restraint and understatement, the kind of music Philip Glass wishes he could write..

Besides the beautiful theme in \"Journey to the Line\" (oh man.. I get chills just thinking about it) nearly every other track has something unique to say, with Zimmer demonstrating a gift for pacing and development you rarely hear from film composers.

After the triumph which Red Line was, I found much of Zimmer\'s production to be a disappointment (relatively speaking, of course). I really didn\'t care much for Gladiator; while it was certainly well crafted, there wasn\'t anything in it I hadn\'t heard before, and I _really_ disliked Pearl Harbor, which I think is Zimmer\'s worst piece to date. Of course, I think the movie was an offensive piece of crap as well, so that tends to affect one\'s perception of the score.

Anyhow, if you haven\'t heard The Thin Red Line yet, give it a serious listen, it\'s truly extraordinary IMHO. Cheers,

A-

--------
    Andrea G. Pessino (not female, just Italian)
    Blizzard Entertainment

apessino@blizzard.com

>>
    Btw does anybody know why Lisa Gerrard was disqualified in the Academy Awards?
    <<

The academy has rules that restrict eligibility to those which contribute more than a certain percentage of a score. I don\'t know the exact number, but I know that she didn\'t qualify because her contributions weren\'t substantial enough to allow her to share the nomination with Zimmer (the last time that happened was with Last Of the Mohicans, if I remember correctly, when Trevor Jones and Randy Edelman shared a nomination).

Bye,

A-

Thanks for clearing up that academy awards stuff.

I agree, the music for The Thin Red Line was exceptionally beautiful, but only the 3rd track. Journey to the line I believe. Definitely a huge suprise. I still think the music in Pearl Harbor is equally stunning. That\'s just me of course. And everyone else seem to disagree with me. I\'d like to see some of you (like Simon and you) compose music anywhere near the quality of Zimmer\'s music for Pearl Harbor (or anything else he\'s done recently) before you bash it like you do (calling it crap etc). Of course everyone\'s entitled to their own opinion. Let\'s hear some of your achievements.

Thomas

Thomas, first of all I\'ve never understood the notion of \'Why don\'t you do it better yourself\' as an answer to critique of others work. Afterall, Hans Zimmer gets paid zillions to compose music - I don\'t, so he should be better. Having said that, I think I could do some stuff that is as bad as Pearl Harbor..

Thomas,

I didn\'t call Zimmer\'s music for Pearl Harbor crap, just not his most inspired work. I called the movie itself crap, and that\'s just my opinion.. you are quite welcome to disagree.

And I certainly never suggested I could do better than Zimmer, I can only wish!

Take care,

A-

Good! Those were the answers I was hoping for

Anyway, I wonder. You call Pearl Harbor a crappy movie. Just out of curiousity, what would be a suitable word for a movie such as Jurassic Park III then?

Well Simon, I guess you\'re one of those who enjoyed John William\'s score to A.I more than Pearl Harbor. Fair enough, but the A.I score doesn\'t have a more memorable theme/score than Pearl Harbor imho, and it is somewhat boring at times as well. Of course everybody is praising it since it was composed by John Williams. It actually features some of the most annoying writing from John Williams in a long time. I\'m talking about the solo female voice. I still haven\'t been able to sit through that track. Anyway, you\'re up for a big task if you think you can do as well as Zimmer did in Pearl Harbor :=) Good luck! You\'ll definitely need it!

Oh and what\'s your opinion on the \"The Thin Red Line\" score, Simon?

Thomas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    Good! Those were the answers I was hoping for

Well Simon, I guess you\'re one of those who enjoyed John William\'s score to A.I more than Pearl Harbor. Fair enough, but the A.I score doesn\'t have a more memorable score than Pearl Harbor imho, and it is somewhat boring at times as well. Of course everybody is praising it since it was composed by John Williams. And it actually features some of first annoying writing from John Williams in a long time. I\'m talking about the solo female voice. I still haven\'t been able to sit through that track. Anyway, you\'re up for a big task if you think you can do as well as Zimmer did in Pearl Harbor :=) Good luck! You\'ll definitely need it!

Oh and what\'s your opinion on the \"The Thin Red Line\" score, Simon?

Thomas
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don\'t understand why you don\'t like A.I. - and it certainly has at least one very good theme, which IMHO can\'t be said of PH. I hummed NOTHING when I left that movie, and I was irritated by the score through most of the movie. I am not a big fan of the vocal version of Monicas Theme either but I think the rest of the score is awesome and incredibly atmospheric....

I haven\'t heard A Thin Red Line so I can\'t comment on that. I loved Zimmers score for Prince of Egypt, and his work for As Good As it Gets is surprisingly understated for Zimmer. But Gladiator and PH.. .noooooooo thanks.

I have already done something as kind of a joke on Pearl Harbor.. you\'ll be able to listen to it one day

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast