• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Going to try new SSD for Steinway samples

Share/Bookmark

Going to try new SSD for Steinway samples

I am using a Macbook Pro. I am going to try the Authorized Steinway samples on an SSD Vertex **2** (recently released) rated 285mbs write and 275 mbs read. I ordered an Optibay to go where my Superdrive is to use *2* hard drives in my MBP putting the SSD where the Superdrive is (getting a USB2 enclosure for the Superdrive once out on it's way). I saw some bandwidth ratings running from this DVD drive that were fine. I am just wondering if I should install an operating system in the SSD or use it only to stream. (?) I could put a couple of sample perspectives in there with an OS. Possibly running from the 7200RPM with the existing internal (Aria engine) and then streaming from the SSD in the DVD write bay.

I think the whole idea may give my more polyphony in 24bit mode. (yes, I know 16bit is fine)

Phil

Re: Going to try new SSD for Steinway samples

Update: While waiting for the drive box (to put a HD where the DVD is) for my other MBP I installed the SSD that just got shipped to me in my older MBP (that boots now around 12 seconds - 2.16 early dual core - and blows away my newer-faster MBP with a 7200).

Nothing is in there but another piano so the 50G hard drive is enough for a couple of perspectives. I have the Under Lid in there now. Probably put the classical in there next MAYBE I can get a 3rd with the 50G SSD.

Runs phenomenal! (Garritan Authorized Steinway). Running 24bit. Though perhaps it will not make a difference, I am running the 24 bit samples at 96khz. Just played it for an hour without a glitch. I did go crazy playing as many notes as I could once did hear 1 click to test it. Probably go back to 48 or 41.

This is freakin' hilarious. I think I will just keep it in this older Macbook Pro. Works great and boots almost immediately!!!

I am running it at 128 polyphony.

Phil
    Last edited by Wheelhead; 05-12-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention polyphony

Very cool. You might as well run at 44.1 though, since that's the native sample rate of the piano samples. 96 is fun but since it's native 44.1 it has to be upsampled to 96 - it's a minor benefit for quality to stay native and even a tiny latency benefit for not doing any resampling
    Glad to hear the SSD is working out great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post
    Very cool. You might as well run at 44.1 though, since that's the native sample rate of the piano samples. 96 is fun but since it's native 44.1 it has to be upsampled to 96 - it's a minor benefit for quality to stay native and even a tiny latency benefit for not doing any resampling
    Glad to hear the SSD is working out great.
    Thanks! I am really tickled with this! USUALLY, there is some issue or setup issue when you try something new. Boom - I am done and ready to play. Smooth as molasses.

Thanks for the info too makes sense to roll it back to 41.1.

The difference between the state-of-the-art SSDs (recently released) and the 7200 is amazing!

I should also add that in this same MBP laptop that is the slower of my 2 with the standalone (2.16 MBP), recording, I was playing and recording at the same time to see if there was any clipping. (laptop playing and recording at the same time in 24bit mode) Again I was trying to make this choke playing up and down the keyboard rapid successions of arpeggios, chords and runs in 128 poly while striking a low tone. It is doing **perfect** recordings without any artifacts and playing through sound reinforcement at the same time despite all attempts to make it choke or hear something unpleasant in the recordings! The recording tone sounds fantastic by the way. As they say in the UK over there, "I am chuffed!!."

This is only running at 2G memory too as I believe it is the max for this older vintage MBP.

Phil
    Last edited by Wheelhead; 05-12-2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Added memory amount

I'll bet when you go back to 44.1, you can go even crazier and not ever get any clicks in pops. Pretty cool.

The SSDs are still just a bit too small for me right now, though. My problem is I have too many sampled pianos (and sampled E-pianos). It would cost a fortune for me to put them all on an SSD.

I wonder though, what if I just used an SSD for the C drive on WinXP? I wonder what kind of performance that would by me (thinking out loud)?

I use an SSD for my OS drive in both of my computers. The Core 2 Duo boots just as fast as the Core i7 machine. It's almost like I upgraded the Core 2 machine to a faster processor when launching apps.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    I use an SSD for my OS drive in both of my computers. The Core 2 Duo boots just as fast as the Core i7 machine. It's almost like I upgraded the Core 2 machine to a faster processor when launching apps.

Jim
    Yeah, absolutely. It is ridiculous upgrade. I wasn't intending to use my 2.16 MBP but runs too good with the SSD. Remember though (obviously) not all SSD are rated the same speed. The best are the recently released and there are a few manufacturers. I am using the Vertex 2.

Quote Originally Posted by elcabong View Post
    I'll bet when you go back to 44.1, you can go even crazier and not ever get any clicks in pops. Pretty cool.
    Yeap. That is what I did and make perfect recordings on the same laptop recording to itself while playing over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by elcabong View Post
    SSDs are still just a bit too small for me right now, though. My problem is I have too many sampled pianos (and sampled E-pianos). It would cost a fortune for me to put them all on an SSD.

I wonder though, what if I just used an SSD for the C drive on WinXP? I wonder what kind of performance that would by me (thinking out loud)?
    Not sure about that because one of the great savings is the fast streaming and access time of the SSD. If you used the SSD for the C and streamed from a spinning drive there may be still some latency that would be there unlike with the blazing fast streaming (and recording) SSD, I would think.

You could buy a smaller SSD and put your favorite/most used sample piano on that and the others on a common drive.

The SSD is SO fast that the response is more like a modeled piano, (in my view the modeled pianos are just not there yet and most of those that own them do their recording with the sampled piano of choice when it comes time to record, or many of them).

The SSD actually is so fast with sampled pianos it puts it, de-facto, in my view, with the pluses and easy-bandwidth of the modeled piano, only, sounds more accurately like the host of which it is copied than the modeled.
    The Authorized Garritan Steinway IS the recognizable Steinway sound as opposed to the proximation of the model because it's 'mother' was the Steinway itself, imho.

Update 5/22/10: I just ordered *another* SSD to run Garritan Authorized Steinway on my other faster MBP as a backup and it has other samples in it plus Windows. This time a just-released Mushkin Calistto with same SSD SF-1200 controller though without controller-vender-firmware (general firm.) like the Ver.-2 rated same speed but cheaper and this time 120G instead of my other 50G Ver. 2 in the other Macbook Pro. 20G (actually less in reality used by drive) more than the Vertex 2 100G at same price point and 40 bucks cheaper. (plus no sales tax direct from website <US>) Look forward to trying this too. Hope it runs as well.

Phil
    Last edited by Wheelhead; 05-22-2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Updated

At my age I've seen a lot of technical developments in power and speed. I'll hope seeing the day that the whole lot of Vienna can be loaded unto an USB x.0 stick, latency zero. That will be the day.......

Jeff, is there an update at the horizon for this great instrument or are you done? It could have some improvements on the sustain pedal, you know.
    Full sustain, half pedal, .........

Raymond

Wheelhead: it sounds to me like latency has become a solved problem! At least on the Mac. May I run this system by you?

MBP 15", 2.4 ghz intel Core i5/4gb ram, 256 ssd, Apogee 1

For $2800 (Can)?? (2400.00 US) A little pricy?

JG

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast