• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: How to use Omnisphere within a Host (Logic)

How to use Omnisphere within a Host (Logic)

Hi People.

I'd like to know how to make use of Omnisphere within my sequenzer host Logic Pro 8.

I've seen all the videos on spectrasonics.net and I've gone through the reference guide, but I haven't figured out yet how to setup the darn thing.

My work flow goes as described:

I open Omnisphere, I pick a sound that I like. I jam and then start a recording after I've created a phrase of melody/groove/mood etc.
    ...but then...

...I find another great sound that fits perfectly to the phrase above. Problem is that I don't know how to record this without changing something in the first phrase.

I open up a new instance of Omnisphere on a new track.

This repeats until I run out of memory.

This is a waste of CPU, but I don't know how to setup Omnisphere in Logic so that I can exploit the 8 different parts in Omnisphere.
    (I actually have the same problem with Stylus RMX)

Where is the missing tutorial video? Where is the missing introduction for newbies in the ref. guide?

What I've read in the ref. guide was mostly covered by the tutorial videos.

I could really use a simple walkthrough from start (opening Omnisphere in any way i.e. multi instrumental or stereo) to end (having arranged an 8 part instance of Omnisphere).

Can any of you link me to a video or in words describe a plan for what I need.

I'm a bit desperate here. I've spent 4500dkr. = 900 us dollars and I'm blocked at the entrance.

Please help.

Sincerely Thomas, Denmark

Re: How to use Omnisphere within a Host (Logic)

Hi Thomas,

First of all you should watch ALL the Omni and Stylus video tutorials on the Spectrasonics web site. They are hugely helpful.

Log in.... (put in your name and serial) (register both softwares on the Spectrasonics site if you have not)

... it will take you to a page where you can see links to the video tutorials.

Watch Stylus tutorial #12: Mixer - Multis and Kits

Stylus and Omni are basically the same as far as your question is concerned.

Basically you can work 3 ways, probably more. The way you are doing is one, ie, one instance per patch.

In the mixer page you will see 8 channels. You can load up each of the 8 channels with patches which you can select by clicking on the folder icon next to each channel and navigating to the patches. You can manually set each channel to channel 1 if you like (in the Stylus/Omni mixer on the left of each channel). Then all 8 channels will be heard and recorded to one Logic track.

By default, all 8 channels are set up chronologically. To use that set up in Logic, set up 8 tracks in Logic, one for each channel, ie, channels 1-8.

When you set up the tracks, set it up for multi-track output or stereo out as you prefer.

I use all three methods as needed.

This is a little brief but it's the nuts and bolts and should get you started along with that video. I'm sure others can provide more input too.

HTH get you started.

Hi Dreamaiden.

Thanks. I've just seen the video of Stylus Mixer page (and I am a registered user).

1. When you setup a software instrument track for Omnisphere or Stylus RMX, you choose multi timbral, right?

It's the only way I can figure out how to get each part to it's own instrument track in Logic 8.

2. I have opened a software instrument track multi timbral for 4 tracks.

part 1 -> ch.1 -> out A
    part 2 -> ch.2 -> out B
    and so on.

When I mute track 3 in my arrange window in Logic all 4 tracks gets muted. How can I change that? Or better yet. Can you make me understand what is happening?

3. Thanks for your help. It's much appreciated!

Logic is not very multi-timbral friendly. The best way to have really discrete control is to instantiate it as a multi-output software instrument, assign the parts to different outputs, and create auxes to host the parts audio. Then you can solo/mute and automate the auxes.

If you need to, you can email me and I will send you a template.

Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

Here are the steps - it's not hard once you do it. Note: Multi-timbral just means that you can hear all 8 parts. Multi-channel means you can control each of the 8 channels individually in Logic, and mute each one in Logic individually without them all muting together.

Start by creating only one (1) software instrument, not multi-timbral, Output 1-2. Select your RMX instrument in the channel strip and choose Multi-Output.

Now in Logic mixer at the bottom of the RMX channel strip you will see a little + (plus) button (right under the M and S buttons. Each time you click that plus button a new Aux is created for the corresponding output in RMX. So create 7 auxes for the 7 additional channels. The main RMX channel is your RMX master channel and doesn't need an aux.

Now you have to create a midi input. Go to the environment. You can see RMX channel strip on the Environment-Mixer page. You need to create a midi object. At the top of the screen you are currently on, choose NEW_Multi-Instrument. Go ahead and drag it down underneath your RMX channel strip.

Now you see what I call a 'waffle.' Up on the left there you will see a down triangle with the name Multi Instr. in parentheses. Double-click that name and rename RMX. On the waffle, click on the first 8 waffle boxes to activate them. Then click back on the first box that has a 1 in it. Now connect the waffle to the RMX channel strip (still in the environment). Click and drag the output cable from the waffle to the RMX channel strip. It will snap/connect to the RMX channel strip. You will see a pop up box that asks if you want to delete the current ports. Click Remove. Close the Environment window.

Now back in the Arrange window, create 7 additional tracks, one for each part in RMX. In Logic select TRACK_NEW from the menu, and choose 7 software instrument tracks. (Do not select multi-timbral here). Right-click on each subsequent RMX track (but not the first RMX instrument track) to reassign it to the new midi object you created in the environment. So start with Inst 2.

Inst 2_right-click_Reassign Track_Mixer_Stylus RMX_ Channel 2
    Inst 3_right-click_Reassign Track_Mixer_Stylus RMX_ Channel 3
    Do this for all the tracks.

Just to be tidy, you can also name each of those Logic tracks to RMX Master, RMX2, RMX3, etc.

Open RMX. Go to the mixer page. Open a new multi. In the blue multi select window, I'm going to choose Factory Multis_ and just choose the very first one called ESP. Now I have 4 parts in the mixer.

Change each channel in RMX: channel 1 Out A, channel 2 to Out B, channel 3 to Out C, etc. So for this multi you should have A, B, C, and D.

Now click on the first folder icon so you can drag the first groove to the first Logic track, which again is your main RMX instrument track. This instrument track should still have the green icon that is the 16th note and audio waveform. Drag your first groove to that track. Now just drag the other groove to the next 3 tracks.

We're done. Now with your mixer open, you should see your Aux channels responding, and in the Arrange window you should be able to mute any of those tracks and still be able to hear the others, and you can add insert fx on any of those Auxes.

FYI there is another Spectrasonics movie tutorial called RMX and Logic. They use Logic 7 for the movie but essentially it's the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
    Logic is not very multi-timbral friendly.
    Not really sure why you say this.

7homas - Everything is pretty much in the Logic manuals and Dreamaiden is right, Spectrasonics has given you a sheet load of videos to watch and not to mention the videos available on YouTube or just Google it.

Want some more videos specific to Logic, then check this out

I have several on Logic and Final Cut Pro and Motion. They're very helpful.

Because, for instance, if you open a software instrument multi-timbrally and add parts for each MIDI channel, you cannot use Logic's track based automation discretely on each MIDI channel for volume (cc7) or panning so you have to either use region based automation for volume (cc11 or cc7) or open it multi-output and automate the auxes.

Stoke on Trent, UK

If I remember correctly, Skippy uses Logic and his tutorial videos for RMX are simply awesome:

Try here:

Not just a matter of getting Logic to play - these will open your eyes to a lot of what RMX is capable of.
    Best of luck - remember, we all have these frustrating moments, but they're soon forgotten once you get the hang of it.
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by Ashermusic View Post
    Because, for instance, if you open a software instrument multi-timbrally and add parts for each MIDI channel, you cannot use Logic's track based automation discretely on each MIDI channel for volume (cc7) or panning so you have to either use region based automation for volume (cc11 or cc7) or open it multi-output and automate the auxes.
    You can do automation on a multi-timbral without doing it on the AUX outputs in Logic.
    Unfortunately the setup is different on each AU instrument.

And there is a plug-in that works but only on MIDI Channel 2, that's the plug-in from the folks over at EW. In other words, you can only automate a single channel with their plug-in and that being MIDI channel 2. (a lot of MONITORing in the Logic's Environment for this one)
    EW said this is a Logic bug, even though in the video I show SampleTank and Omnisphere works great when you MIDI learn their controls.

Don't ask me why it's different on each AU instrument, you'd have to ask each AU instrument software maker why they did this instead of using the MIDI standard of CC7, at least for Volume and Pan control.

If you create a multi-timbral you should do automation on the AUX outputs anyways.
    Since its the last point in the audio flow it makes sense to me to automate it there.
    Again, my opinion.
    Listen to StylusRMX once you switch the outputs in StylusRMX and then create your AUX outputs in Logic. You'll notice a big sound difference. ( http://www.digimixstudios.net/StylusRMXMultiTimbral/ )
    Again, just my opinion that you should do automation on AUX outputs of a multi-timbral.

If you want automation but not on the AUX outputs and not to the specific AU instruments non-standard CC7, do velocity changes per instrument track. This makes more sense to do with velocity sampled based libraries.
    2 usages of this.
    Create a Logic MACRO for this, but this requires advance knowledge of working with the Environment in Logic.

That's what I mean by not being multi-timbral friendly. You have to teach it differently with different AUs and some have different capabilities for it than others.

Truth is, people at Apple have hinted to me on several occasions that they think mult-timbral is a dated workflow carried over from the days of underpowered computers and tone modules.

Personally the only software instruments I still use multi-timbrally are Stylus RMX and sometimes Stormdrum 2.

Go Back to forum