• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: SONAR is a strange program

Share/Bookmark

SONAR is a strange program

I bounced all tracks. I also archieved all input for this bouncing, because it is not longer needed. So the only "active" tracks are the "audio files" as a result of that bouncing...... and suddenly my Audio engine refused to work.

I really searched for the reason for more than 4 hours. Found out that at least one midi track playing thru ARIA must not be archieved. Isn't that strange?

Any comments on this?

Raymond

Re: SONAR is a strange program

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    I bounced all tracks. I also archieved all input for this bouncing, because it is not longer needed. So the only "active" tracks are the "audio files" as a result of that bouncing...... and suddenly my Audio engine refused to work.

I really searched for the reason for more than 4 hours. Found out that at least one midi track playing thru ARIA must not be archieved. Isn't that strange?

Any comments on this?

Raymond
    Hi Raymond,

I've had this problem before too, except that my audio engine will work, but will continually drop out. What I do in that case is just keep hitting play until it plays through the whole song (eventually...) and then it will play all of the way through after that. It's a very frustrating problem, and seems to get worse the more audio track you have for it to play. This problem has been present, regardless of which libraries I use.

I'm not sure if I've been any help, but I do share in your pain/frustration from time to time.

Take Care,
    Steph

Hi Raymond, I'm no expert so this may be a can of worms but - each MIDI track needs to selected with its synth track to produce an audio track.

One has to highlight the MIDI track as well as its corresponding synth track (the "outs" track) to bounce the data to a third audio track.

I have forgotten to select the synth track in addition to the MIDI track many times (or selected the wrong one) and ended up with a blank audio track! It still happens to me.

Is this the case? Or did I get it wrong?
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Hi Raymond,
    Are you saying that that midi track WAS archived but still playing through Aria or that you missed archiving that track (maybe a hidden track?)and discovered it later?

When playing back audio you may have to increase the buffer size in OPTIONS>Audio. This is normal procedure when you have lots of audio tracks.
    Fred

Once again, I have 20 instruments, thus 20 MIDI tracks (with notes and velocities, and all other things). I also have 20 tracks as output from different AIRA players. After editing with CC#1 and the whole bunch of controllers I bounce all to "wave audio" on Sonar's Audio tracks.

So I have 20 Audio tracks where all music is stored. Now there is no need for maintaining those "input" tracks active, reducing the CPU / Disk load setting them to "Archive" and let those Audio - bounced - tracks play alone.

In that case, when doing all source tracks made Archieved, the Audio engine stops. You must at least one "stream" open to hear something. And don't forget to "Solo" those Audio tracks (those bounced audio tracks!), because when you forget this, the one "still open" MIDI track connected to ARIA will play along.

Raymond

Raymond, have you tried posting your issue on the Sonar forum?

Granted, this forum is, IMO, the more friendly one, but you might get a wider range of responses on the Sonar forum.

G’day Raymond,

I don’t have Sonar.

You said:

”I bounce all to "wave audio"”

And:

“So I have 20 Audio tracks where all music is stored.”

Having those 20 .wav files, you should be able to play each .wav file in any audio editor and mix in any mixer.

What did you mean, when you said earlier:

“… and suddenly my Audio engine refused to work.”

There is no audio engine involved in playing a .wav file. It is a strait forward matter of sending the proper digital signals to the two channels of the DA converter of your sound card. If you check your .wav files in an audio editor, you can find out if the problem is in recording to .wav or in playback.

My guess would be that there is a problem with the .wav files created by Sonar, if you have problems in playing the .wav file in another system. You could even try windows media player to see if it plays your .wav files. An audio editor may provide you with some analytical tools.

Best wishes,

Herbert
    GPO, JABB, CMB, GWI, GOFRILLER, HALION PLAYER, ACCORDIONS by E Tarilonte
    Cubase 6, Notation Composer, VSTHost, GoldWave audio editor.

Interests:
    Good Food, Gemütlichkeit, Wein Weib und Gesang – History, Politics, Civil Law –
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

Quote Originally Posted by sonata5920 View Post
    G’day Raymond,

I don’t have Sonar.

You said:

”I bounce all to "wave audio"”

And:

“So I have 20 Audio tracks where all music is stored.”

Having those 20 .wav files, you should be able to play each .wav file in any audio editor and mix in any mixer.

What did you mean, when you said earlier:

“… and suddenly my Audio engine refused to work.”

There is no audio engine involved in playing a .wav file. It is a strait forward matter of sending the proper digital signals to the two channels of the DA converter of your sound card. If you check your .wav files in an audio editor, you can find out if the problem is in recording to .wav or in playback.

My guess would be that there is a problem with the .wav files created by Sonar, if you have problems in playing the .wav file in another system. You could even try windows media player to see if it plays your .wav files. An audio editor may provide you with some analytical tools.

Best wishes,

Herbert
    on all questions and remarks, my answer is no. The wave files are correct, I checked with an Audio editor. That Audio engine in Sonar seems to be a "built-in driver" to play stuff thru your Audio hardware. Though there is no need for it anymore when I only play audio files, there is no sound at all.

Raymond

Raymond – You can trust me, there is no audio engine involved when playing a .wav file. If your .wav files are ok, then your Sonar mixer has a problem. Trying to track a problem is often a matter of elimination.
    GPO, JABB, CMB, GWI, GOFRILLER, HALION PLAYER, ACCORDIONS by E Tarilonte
    Cubase 6, Notation Composer, VSTHost, GoldWave audio editor.

Interests:
    Good Food, Gemütlichkeit, Wein Weib und Gesang – History, Politics, Civil Law –
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

Quote Originally Posted by sonata5920 View Post
    Raymond – You can trust me, there is no audio engine involved when playing a .wav file. If your .wav files are ok, then your Sonar mixer has a problem. Trying to track a problem is often a matter of elimination.
    Then it is strange that I don't hear anything, it even doesn't start "looping along the timeline".

I tried to get "a handle" behind it, but didn't find it. With one instrument set to "non-archieved" the whole thing works fine, so....... I don't look any further.... if Sonar fails here and there then it is Cakelwalk's problem to solve. The days of being a beta-tester for music software are long past.

Raymond

Go Back to forum