• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aria Player sounds right as VST but not as Standalone

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Aria Player sounds right as VST but Garbled when Standalone

I built a new computer in January to be used for 3D, HD and DAW work. It is running Windows 7-64 and I upgraded to Sonar 8.5 64-bit edition. I then purchased GPO4 and installed it for 64-bit operation. When I play the Garritan sounds through the panel that pops up to act as a VST plugin, the sounds are good. But when I play the sounds in the standalone program, there is obviously something wrong. I do hear sound but it is like the sound is garbled. Does anyone have any similar experience? I am not in urgent need to fix it because I need GPO4 mostly as a software synth for producing sound from Sonar. However, I would like to get it fixed if only to make it easier to explore all the sounds in the collection.
    Last edited by PabloMack; 05-11-2010 at 10:07 PM. Reason: spelling and other changes

Re: Aria Player sounds right as VST but not as Standalone

G’day Pablo,

Can you post a .wav or .mp3 file?

If the sound is crackly or chopped up, it points to insufficient processing time due to an unsuitable driver or insufficient buffering. Garbled sound could be caused by a mismatch of sampling frequencies in recording and playback.

Can you give an account of your setup and procedures.

Best wishes,

Herbert
    GPO, JABB, CMB, GWI, GOFRILLER, HALION PLAYER, ACCORDIONS by E Tarilonte
    Cubase 6, Notation Composer, VSTHost, GoldWave audio editor.

Interests:
    Good Food, Gemütlichkeit, Wein Weib und Gesang – History, Politics, Civil Law –
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

You must be from "down unduh". How da ya do mate? Love Australia! Was there three years ago for birding and wildife photography.

I wouldn't think that there is anything wrong with my driver setup. After all, Aria is working perfectly as a VST plugin off of Sonar. It is the standalone program that doesn't sound right. Since Sonar controls the output with the VST plugin, its configuration is correct. Here the Aria plug-in doesn't have to connect to the sound subsystem as it only has to communicate with Sonar via the VST interface. But the standalone Aria player is not using the sound subsystem interface correctly. My install procedure was defaults all the way. I used the standalone Aria program to produce a *.wav file but it sounds as it should. So I had to record the sounds the old fashion way-with a physical microphone. Both files were generated using:

GPO->Standard->Woodwinds->Flutes->Flute Plr1

Since I can't figure out how to upload files to this forum, I placed them on my company website:

http://www.technoventure.com/Music/Aria_Plugin.mp3
    http://www.technoventure.com/Music/Aria_Standalone.mp3

Thanks.

Make sure you have the ASIO driver selected. It's typical that only one program can use ASIO at a time. It depends on your driver, I hear some can have multiple ASIO apps. Mine can't.

If you have Sonar running at the time you open the standalone, it will probably select the MME interface. Also if you open multiple instances of the standalone, the 2nd one will probably not be ASIO.

Hi,

The ARIA player standalone handles audio drivers independently from hosts such as Sonar.

In the Standalone, click Tools > preferences > and make sure that the Audio Device API selected is ASIO (the default may be something less efficient like MME). It's basically the same thing as the Audio Options in Sonar.

Also if it still sounds bad, maybe the buffer size is too low. Try increasing it a bit.

Hope this helps!

EDIT : Craig said it all!
    Éric Patenaude, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
    Make sure you have the ASIO driver selected. It's typical that only one program can use ASIO at a time. It depends on your driver, I hear some can have multiple ASIO apps. Mine can't.
    If you have Sonar running at the time you open the standalone, it will probably select the MME interface. Also if you open multiple instances of the standalone, the 2nd one will probably not be ASIO.
    I have three drivers available. MME was selected and that is, apparently, the problem. If I select DirectSound it works correctly. If I select WASAPI no sound is produced at all. The ASIO driver does not show up. Perhaps I will go get it and download it. Problem solved. Thanks to you all.

Go Back to forum