• Register
  • Help

Topic: Trilian Velocity Articulations

Share/Bookmark

Trilian Velocity Articulations

Most of the full-range instruments in Trilian appear to have velocity switched articulations. However, other than a one-line note in the browser they don't seem to be documented. Even if they were documented they aren't all that useful to a non-bass player. They basically produce unpredictable results unless you spend time trying to decode the velocity switches.

Most of them say "12-x velo switch from Clean -> Vibrato -> Character -> Gliss Up". Is that really how a bass sounds as you play progressively louder? Somehow I doubt it.

Is there any way to just turn these articulations off? I haven't been able to find it. Also, I'm aware of Live and Stack modes. However, those still doesn't really help a non-bass player.

Re: Trilian Velocity Articulations

Quote Originally Posted by danika View Post
    Most of the full-range instruments in Trilian appear to have velocity switched articulations. However, other than a one-line note in the browser they don't seem to be documented.
    There's a Sound Library chapter coming in the Ref Guide as well as Trilian specific Tutorial Videos that cover a lot of this detail.

Even if they were documented they aren't all that useful to a non-bass player. They basically produce unpredictable results unless you spend time trying to decode the velocity switches.
    It's not that complicated. :-)

Full Range versions are always dynamic sustains plus a Gliss Up at the highest velocity.

Most of them say "12-x velo switch from Clean -> Vibrato -> Character -> Gliss Up".
    Actually, they don't. Only the new Trilian Acoustic Bass has that particular note.

There are three types of sustains for that bass and they are combined in that bass. Study the individual sustains and it will make sense.

Is that really how a bass sounds as you play progressively louder? Somehow I doubt it.
    Also, the spacing of the velocity switching in those Full Range Trilian Acoustic patches is very much intentionally set-up to produce unpredictable results. Indeed, every time you play a note on a real Acoustic Bass it sounds different. Vibrato sustains cannot be played at super low dynamics on a real acoustic bass and the character type sustains are also only possible by playing the instrument really hard.

So all of this stuff in the Full Range patches is VERY much intentionally set-up and accurately documented in the notes. What you are seeing and hearing is correct.

What this video to find out more about WHY it's setup that way and how it emulates the way a real bass works:

http://vimeo.com/7308500

The video explains a lot of this stuff in a much better way than a forum post could. :-)

Is there any way to just turn these articulations off?
    All of the different types of sustains and articulations are available separately too. It's as simple as loading the correct patch if you only want one predictable type of sustain sound.

Also, I'm aware of Live and Stack modes. However, those still doesn't really help a non-bass player.
    Watch that video to see how the Multis and Live mode switching is set up....it's important to have a good grasp of how that works to get the most out of the instrument.

More info and tutorials to come...

Go Back to forum