2 ALTO, 2 TENOR, 2 BARI

GARY
    1x
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=9117284&q=hi

Revised 6/15
    2x

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=9147424&q=hi

Re: Sax sextet

Nice mix of styles, and I quite like the sound/voicing. The first movement is the most interesting for me, although the rendering would benefit from slowing down at a few points; I think it would outline the structure better. It sounds a bit like Webern-meets-Ellington. The second movement is pleasing, and I like how you keep a sort of Baroque-like pulse. Speaking of Baroque, is there a Bach quote in there somewhere around 2:40? The last movement is too short to my taste. In my imagination, inclusion of some material from the first movement just before the point where it ends now could make it a bit meatier. On the whole, good, solid, interesting work.
    Theo

Re: Sax sextet

Thanks for listening, Theo. Your comments are helpful.
    I will take a look at thee 1st movement.
    I have previously used the technique of restating an earlier section in the final movement.
    In listening at the 2:40 point, it appears to be part of a sequence. I don't always connect an insert from my Composer-models, but I have listened & arranged a lot of Bach.
    It seems that I inserted a few direct quotes in the 3rd movement without even being aware. See if you can recognize the source(an earlier entry by myself.)
    I will work on these ideas & post in a few days or less.

Gary

Go Back to forum