• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GS3 Install Guide - Anyone Willing?

Share/Bookmark

Talking GS3 Install Guide - Anyone Willing?

Hi Guys

I've been out of circulation for a while because of disabilities, and needless to say, so has my gear and my memory on how to get everything up and authorized again , especially given all of the changes with the advent of Windows 7 etc.
    Since Tascam went Opcode with Giga on us, it appears that we're on our own from here on in.

Has anyone ever considered putting together a little guide of basic install how to's on the various OS's and whether or not giga does or does not work on Windows 7 32 and or 64 bit?....... and if so what are the potential glitches?

just basic stuff..... no guarantees of course.... but maybe enough to keep those of us who are really rusty out of the deeper coal mine shafts... you know like the "Seagate drive booby trap" stuff and little things like that, which can cause months of aggravation that are totally avoidable, and whether "Midi over Lan" works in Win 7 or Xp only..

I think a concerted effort to put out a little "Giga Bible" might be of great use to us all down the road,..... as this piece of technology is a gem that would be a shame to just let go by the wayside into obscurity because noone can find anyone who's got the right answers who's still around to answer them anymore.

So maybe the time is now to start collaborating on putting together a little Word document of questions and answers to the most fundamental questions that can be answered in pretty straight forward ways .

And maybe even put some links to some resources in there to places that also have some good insight for folks to get help..... Just an idea... but what do you think?

Would any of you more experience guys be willing to put a little compendium like this together?

It would be a great help to so many.......

Exclamation Re: GS3 Install Guide - Anyone Willing?

Going once..... going twice.....

Come on guys..... you must have a few simple no brainers to share!.

tell you what..... you put em down in this thread, and , i'll stitch em togrther and submit it to the group for final criticism and editing.... how about that???

Re: GS3 Install Guide - Anyone Willing?

Hello! Gigastudio 3 does not work on Windows 7.
    What I would do is buy a copy of Windows XP and install it on the Windows 7 machine in a dual boot configeration. If you have an old upgrade copy of xp you bought, you can buy a copy (full retail version-not an upgrade nt4 workstation) of Windows NT 4- Workstation for $15 on Amazon. The windows nt4 workstation is a microsoft allowed upgrade to xp. Or look for a full non upgrade version of xp..about $65-70.
    Gigastudio might run on Windows 7 professional with XP virtual mode enabled..but since its such a demanding application ..I simply would not try it. It would not work. You need "real" XP and the only way is a dual boot. Its not that hard to do..microsoft has articles in its knowledge base and the web is full of how to articles.
    Tascam was still sending out reinstall keycodes as of november.
    You need two hard drives..7200 rpm sata..one for the operating system and a separate one for just the samples only (put xp and windows 7 on the other drive)..you need as much ram as you can get..make sure your video card is updated. XP sp will work..you need all the updates..you also need the net framework 1.1, 2.0, 3.0..each must be a separate install. (microsoft downloads)
    the seagate boobytrap as it has all unraveled was a virus that got into the firmware and "bricked" ( destroyed) the hard drive..had nothing to do with gigastudio in the end.
    Video card drivers must be updated and along with your bios . Midi over lan I do not use.

F.Y.I GS3 runs fine on XP SP-1.

Other's report that GS3 runs on Windows 7, x86

Quote Originally Posted by Patthoven View Post
    Going once..... going twice.....

Come on guys..... you must have a few simple no brainers to share!.

tell you what..... you put em down in this thread, and , i'll stitch em togrther and submit it to the group for final criticism and editing.... how about that???
    Run it on a XP partition and make a drive image.

I know longer use GS3 since GS4 loads faster and doesn't require any processes in the background.

Also, don't forget to add the bit about the Seagate firmware nightmare.

Wink Re: GS3 Install Guide - Anyone Willing?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl View Post
    Also, don't forget to add the bit about the Seagate firmware nightmare.
    BTW...Does the Seagate nightmare occurr only on the GS3 OS and Program Drive or do all sample drives etc. come into play in the scenario as well?

Talking Re: GS3 Install Guide - Anyone Willing?

Hi Andy! Thanks for all your input!!!

Just to ask for some couter feedback here, help me out....
    Quote Originally Posted by andyj View Post
    Gigastudio 3 does not work on Windows 7.
    It seems a feww have had some sort of success with 7 but you say no.....why? And for those whove seen it done can you say how you've seen it done and in what circumstances?

Tascam was still sending out reinstall keycodes as of november.
    This is good to know! wat is the link to request one at? and or whom does one specifically contact at Tascam for gigga Authorizations because I imagine this is something that we're really going to have to stay on top of to keep them acccountable over the long haul or its just going to Evaporate into Opcodeware.

XP sp will work..you need all the updates..you also need the net framework 1.1, 2.0, 3.0..each must be a separate install. (microsoft downloads).
    You don't give an SP # here we know 1 works and we know 2 work with service pack 1 but started having some issues with the rollout of service pack two.

When you say ..."you need all the updates" what is your source of information for this recomendation?"....... And the NEt frameworks... if I'm not mistaken and God knows I often am... I don't think 3 was even around while Giga was in production, so might it not have some potential vor adverse unhappines with something inside of Gigga?.... Just a question....

Midi over lan I do not use.
    I have a friend who has used Midi over LAN with reasonable success with other stuff, he doesn't have Gigga though....anyone else out there using it with Gigga?

Finally...........WHat about the Giga VSTi..... Does it work? Does it work well? and how does it differ from the original? And of course...... is it still available?

Quote Originally Posted by Patthoven View Post
    BTW...Does the Seagate nightmare occurr only on the GS3 OS and Program Drive or do all sample drives etc. come into play in the scenario as well?
    Only if the OS drive is one of the bad firmware versions.
    It messes with the License part of the program, continually making GS3 think you're not a registered user.

Go Back to forum