• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT - World Premiere of Flute Suite Review

Share/Bookmark

OT - World Premiere of Flute Suite Review

I had a premiere performance of my Dance Suite for Flute Trio this past April 25th. It was first heard here on Garritan as a composition using the Garritan Library. The following artilce is from a Blog and the full article can be read at this site:
    http://clueintocleveland.wordpress.com/2010/05/16/local-composers-connect-with-the-greater-cleveland-flute-society/

Just thought some of you might be interested. Thanks BRS Music, Inc.

Best regards,
    Bill

The Cleveland Composers Connection also featured the world premiere of Dance Suite – a piece by William Rayer. Rayer, who is a retired music teacher and performs regularly with the Lorain Community Orchestra, first wrote the suite as a study of technique. However, in working on the movements, they developed into a beautiful piece for a flute trio. The three movements – Dance Mystique, Pavanne and Dance Macabre - were each written to bring a different sound to the suite. The first movement balanced being both reflective and energetic. The second movement featured the first flute in a cadenza-like movement, with the second and third flutes supporting with a quiet and plaintive sound. Finally, Rayer equated the third movement to a chase. Written in a fugal style, it starts out as the most energetic, but at the very end becomes somber and reflective hinting at earlier movements before the chase restarts. My favorite part about the premiere of Dance Suite was that you could see how the performers worked hard and collaborated with the composer to successfully ensure the first impression the piece made conveyed Rayer’s intention.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: OT - World Premiere of Flute Suite Review

Congrats, Bill!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

To Mr. Rayer,

I must now say, Mr. Rayer, you know. Nice review, good pictures, a milestone.

Raymond

Thanks Reber and Raymond!

Challenge #10 Winner

Congratulations. I'm sure this has been a rather satisfying experience!
    Theo

I really enjoyed reading about this. Speaking of reading, William, I just ordered your book Reach Beyond Tomorrow.

I have a fair bit of reading ahead of me, but I have been meaning to buy this for quite a long time.

I have discovered a book website that provides free delivery worldwide. For us Australians this is HUGE. And the prices, generally are excellent.

www.bookdepository.com

Congrats, Bill. Sounds like a nice concert, as well. I saw that Loris Chobanian had a piece on the program - do you know him?

Nice write-up. Good that someone is paying attention!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Congrats, Bill. Sounds like a nice concert, as well. I saw that Loris Chobanian had a piece on the program - do you know him?

Nice write-up. Good that someone is paying attention!
    Yes, I know Loris. He teaches at Baldwin Walace. Nice guy and composes very well. Thanks for the comments.

Best Regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins View Post
    I really enjoyed reading about this. Speaking of reading, William, I just ordered your book Reach Beyond Tomorrow.

I have a fair bit of reading ahead of me, but I have been meaning to buy this for quite a long time.

I have discovered a book website that provides free delivery worldwide. For us Australians this is HUGE. And the prices, generally are excellent.

www.bookdepository.com
    Thanks, Alan, for the comment and enjoy the book. Everyone that has read it, has enjoyed it. I am well into the second book which should come out later this year.

Best Regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum