• Register
  • Help

Topic: What do you think about these "Opportunities" for Composers?!

Share/Bookmark

What do you think about these "Opportunities" for Composers?!

We have recently come across this "Opportunity" for aspiring composers.

They want you to compose some original music based on the brief below.

Then, to submit to this you have to pay $30. Oh and if you "WIN" you get....(wait for it).....nothing. Just the joy and satisfaction of having your music in this short film.

"MRS. TODD'S SHORTCUT"
    Gift Shop Pictures/Bruised Productions

A short film from a story by Stephen King, is the tale of an obsessed woman driven to find the shortest route possible on her trip from Castle Rock to Maine...perhaps the shortest route "Impossible"!

The film will function as a resume piece for all involved...promo for artist...promo for the filmmakers...this is a project that Music2q will "shop" at film festivals. Thirty minute run-time..circa 70's/early 80's story..."period vibe" rock n roll.

Genre: Rock (early 80s feel. Original music only)
    Pay: No Licensing Fee (strictly promotional consideration)
    "International Award Winning Arabic Fusion"
    www.ajmusiconline.com

2xMac Pro 2.66, OS 10.4.9,Pro Tools 7.4.8,Waves Plat,Altiverb
    4xVisionDaw PC,NI Komplete, All Play 1.2.5 Libraries

Re: What do you think about these "Opportunities" for Composers?!

NEVER pay anyone $$ to submit your music!

Peace

Rik

Agree with rikp on that one - nobody should be paying to work!! Sounds like they are funding their film by asking for contributions from prospective composers. Nice!

The ones that p*** me off are the film production teams who advertise for composers on various sites - having made their vanity project and paid all the technical team they say..."unfortunately there is no budget for music, but you'll get a showing at blah blah film festival."

Well, seems to me if there's no budget for music, then the obvious answer is not to have any. It just shows that the music is not a priority consideration.... Oh, and you never ever hear of those films again!

But at least these guys haven't got the cheek to ask you to pay for the privilege I guess!!

B

who would be desperate enough to even consider that?
    Pay to play? That'll be the day.........

I think what would be fun, if one were so inclined, would be to send a note to Stephen King's attorney & his editor at the book publisher just to make sure that they were aware that someone was making this film based on his story, just in case a certain shifty filmmaker accidentally neglected to clear those rights with Stephen King.

Just sayin.

Kerry

unspeakably offensive.

Ridiculous.

They pay the camera operator, the post colorist, and the caterers, all of whom also get their name in the credits.

I don't buy it, but I suppose the big theoretical argument for paying these people and not the composers is rights, since composers' music is separate intellectual property. The caterer, colorist and camera operator do not receive proceeds or generate separable product. But I guarantee you none of these people are asked to submit an application fee.

Quote Originally Posted by composernyc View Post
    I think what would be fun, if one were so inclined, would be to send a note to Stephen King's attorney & his editor at the book publisher just to make sure that they were aware that someone was making this film based on his story, just in case a certain shifty filmmaker accidentally neglected to clear those rights with Stephen King.

Just sayin.

Kerry
    this is an excellent idea.

Maybe Steven King was a fully paid-up script competitor and was lucky to be selected by the movie-maker.

Just imagine the exposure he'll get when its released!!!

Go Back to forum