• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: ARTIST VIDEOS - New Lyle Mays and Alex Acuña videos posted

Share/Bookmark

ARTIST VIDEOS - New Lyle Mays and Alex Acuña videos posted

Three videos featuring new music from our amazing session with master jazz musicians Lyle Mays (Pat Metheny Group) and Alex Acuña (Weather Report) are now live! - http://bit.ly/bGXiae

Check out how Lyle uses Omnisphere and Trilian with the MIDI'ed acoustic piano.

Enjoy! :-)

spectrum

Re: ARTIST VIDEOS - New Lyle Mays and Alex Acuña videos posted

absolutely fabulous!

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
    Check out how Lyle uses Omnisphere and Trilian with the MIDI'ed acoustic piano.
    spectrum

Fantastic Vids Eric, an amazing performance!

I just posted a thread on a Piano in Omni...would have been awesome watching the vids and seeing it all be Spectrasonics sans the midi'ed piano....and switching with the iPhone, iTouch, or iPad.

big~C
    Mac Pro 8-Core, Logic 9, Ableton 8, Omni, RMX, Komplete, Samples-n-Samples, Speak-n-Spell, Schroeder's Piano, Mcpherson Guitars, and a Partridge Family 8-Track

Wow .. been watching Lyle for years with Pat since he was playing the Synclavier with those beautiful long boney fingers of his on the piano! What a gifted guy! Its a trip to see him here using Omnisphere... though... gee.. what a surprise!!!! He always knew the cream of the crop!!!

Hey, I have long 'boney' fingers too....but unfortunately I still can't play as well as Lyle.

Love these videos you are providing, Eric. What a treat to take a few minutes to listen to some amazing musicians and hear 'how it's really done'. The recordings are excellent and the sound quality is superb.

Lyle: Spectrasonics = "European craftsmanship....Old world attention to detail" EXACTLY. That's what makes Spectrasonic instruments so special...high standards, attention to detail and craftsmanship.

One question: what model of Yamaha MIDI piano is Lyle playing? I'm not familiar with it.........frank
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

It's not a MIDI'ed Yamaha Piano actually at all.

It's just a regular C7 with the Moog Pianobar attached. Worked extremely well and can easily MIDI up any acoustic piano in minutes!

Re. "with the Moog Pianobar attached"
    Ah-ha! Thanks, Eric. So that's what I was seeing. I noted the logo on the piano and that's what confused me, since I'd never heard of the Moog Pianobar until you mentioned it. Interesting product........frank
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Great Videos!

Can we get any details on how this was setup?

Looks like the controller, on top of the C7, was driving Acoustic bass in Trilian. Just guessing due to the screen shot on the monitor.

The midi'ed C7 was driving omnisphere? perhaps in live mode? with splits setup for acoustic bass, lower end, and some choir type pad on the upper end?

Would love to know if the final sound was accomplished in real time or fixed in the mix, and what presets were used in Omni and any other significant details. This is just totally amazing.

Kind Regards,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rtucker55 View Post
    Great Videos!

Can we get any details on how this was setup?
    Sure.

Looks like the controller, on top of the C7, was driving Acoustic bass in Trilian. Just guessing due to the screen shot on the monitor.
    Correct. And The Doubled Fretless in the "Duo#2" video.

The midi'ed C7 was driving omnisphere?
    Yes.

perhaps in live mode? with splits setup for acoustic bass, lower end, and some choir type pad on the upper end?
    Correct...but in Stack mode

Would love to know if the final sound was accomplished in real time or fixed in the mix,
    No overdubs or punch-in or fixes on either performance...both were completely live performances in a single take. Both pieces are entirely improvised by both musicians with very little rehearsal.

On the Duo#1 piece, I did a final mix after the original session.

On the Duo#2 piece, that's actually the mix we did live as it was going down.

and what presets were used in Omni and any other significant details. This is just totally amazing.
    We customized that Stack for Duo#1 quite a bit to Lyle's touch of course. It's mostly the Jazz Voices and some pad elements cross-fading into the Acoustic Bass coming from the Trilian library at the bottom of Omnisphere's keyboard.

For Duo#2, that's just the stock Doubled Fretless patch straight out of Trilian.

Cheers,

spectrum

As I said before, just totally amazing!

Those guys click so well and the mix sounds great. True Artists!
    but, Omnisphere and Trilian even makes me sound good...

Do you remember what the total track count was on duo #1?

Kind Regards,
    Rick

Go Back to forum