• Register
  • Help

Topic: Brass Quintet

Brass Quintet

Here's a brass quintet that I wrote for my composition final. It's not perfect, and there's a bit of a rough patch near the end, but it was a lot of work so I figured it's worth sharing.

Re: Brass Quintet

It's not bad, but also a bit boring. I can hear your construction, which is a bit fugue-like, and that gives the music a distinct unromantic feel. But the theme(s) is too flat to carry the several minutes of music all by itself; Baroque themes tend to be more, well, baroque, and the piece is also not very dynamic. That makes it, in my ears at least, just too repetitive. More dynamics and a bit more rubato might solve that, but it's not easy to add more dynamics to sampled brass instruments and keep them sound realistic. Another option is to superpose a short, slow, different melody on top of the texture of low brass from time to time.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts. I'm curious how your teacher(s) evaluated it.

Re: Brass Quintet

Hi Michael,

The 1st measures sounded like the NEW WORLD Symphony...
    The contrast between the slow & faster movement didn't seem to work.
    From the flowing, chordal section to the tuba solo was like switching from a serious movie to a farce. Maybe a less jazz-like rhythm for the tuba could allow for a smoother transition.
    Two movements don't have to contrast in speed.
    The ensemble had nice balance.

Go Back to forum