• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best Orchestra Trumpets/Brass?

Share/Bookmark

Best Orchestra Trumpets/Brass?

OK, so I went to the ILIO website and listened to the long orchestral demo.

While I was impressed with some things, such as the low brass and fast strings, that solo trumpet that comes in near the beginning is awful. Is there anything else out there that would have sounded more realistic playing this part? How is the new brass CD for this stuff (can\'t remember it\'s name...its got about 6 CDs)? Thanks for any input.

Re: Best Orchestra Trumpets/Brass?

Are you thinking of Quantum Leap Brass Tom? My opinion of that library is that while it is not perfect, it is the best available. The library is worth it for the Tuba and low brass alone. There are some trumpets that are good, though I don\'t think they match the quality of the low brass. One of the high trumpet stabs is outstanding though--it sounds completely real.

[This message has been edited by Jamieh (edited 07-26-2001).]

Personally, there are a lot of things i like about the Advanced Orchestra Brass. Or maybe I should say that it is often the one I end up using. QLB is good too, though, but both are far from perfect and complete, IMHO.

John

...and yet they are priced so high!

IMOH

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jamieh:
    Are you thinking of Quantum Leap Brass Tom? My opinion of that library is that while it is not perfect, it is the best available. The library is worth it for the Tuba and low brass alone. There are some trumpets that are good, though I don\'t think they match the quality of the low brass. One of the high trumpet stabs is outstanding though--it sounds completely real.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that\'s it.

My problem is, sometimes I need rock brass, like for a Latin thing, and other times, I\'m looking for the symphonic sound that the guy was trying for in the Vitous demo at the ILIO site. Can the QL brass do a symphonic solo trumpet?

If you need a solo horn, try the alpen horn from RARE INSTRUMENTS. It\'s excellent, I use it for anything that calls for a solo horn. Nick has outdid himself on this one.

QLB II will have two new collections, one for orchestral use, and the other for Pop use.

Dan Dean will also have his brass coming soon.

Thanks for the Alpenhorn praise, ESPERLAD. I like that patch too. You would hear alot of Alpenhorn in classical music, if it didn\'t play such a limited (harmonic) scale.

Tom, I\'ll be honest. I haven\'t heard ANY solo symphonic trumpets that I am completely happy with. That being said, if you are looking for a good combo of rock brass and orchestral brass, Quantum Leap covers both areas pretty well.

John, I\'m surprised you use the AO brass. I have both AO and QL, and the only AO brass I use is the solo horn because QL doesn\'t have one.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tomhartman:
    [B]

As a beta tester for Dan Dean Productions, I am happy to report that the new Solo Brass Collection far exceeds my wildest expectations. With eight-layer dynamic range, from the haunting ppp to the bone shaking fff, the detail, roundness and tone color belies Dan’s empathy and experience as a top-notch recording engineer. As Dan’s sound cutter, I had already heard the samples and knew how good they sounded, however, finally getting to hear the instruments in banks I must admit to being totally blown away! (No pun intended)

Dan\'s solo cello is still my favorite instrument on GigaStudio, so I have high hopes for his solo brass collection.

Go Back to forum