• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gpo 4

Share/Bookmark

Gpo 4

Can anyone please tell me the difference between
    STANDARD and NOTATION when loading voices in ARIA?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Gpo 4

Basically there is no difference. The sound is completely the same.
    The difference is that for regular sequencers, like SONAR and possibly Digital Performer(Mac) the KS versions of the samples react on e.g. CC64 for pedalling. For using ARIA in Finale and maybe some other notation programs, this KS is programmed to react on CC68 (as I remember well). So it is the same sound but different keyswitches.

So when you use the ARIA player under Finale, use the Notation version. The problem is only there if you want to migrate from Finale to Sonar(via MIDI), but I am sure that the solution to this "is just around the corner".

I thought I already told you this,

By the way, it is all in the manual......... (al least the older GPO manual).

Raymond

What Raymond said about Finale is also true for Sibelius. In fact, Sibelius automatically picks the GPO4 notation instruments.

However,
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    By the way, it is all in the manual......... (al least the older GPO manual).
    Well, the placement of keyswitch notes in the bottom octave is documented. I don't think the CC#64 / CC#68 substitution is not mentioned. I think it should be. If for no other reason it would lessen "What other differences aren't documented?" type questions.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pokeefe View Post
    What Raymond said about Finale is also true for Sibelius. In fact, Sibelius automatically picks the GPO4 notation instruments.

However,

Well, the placement of keyswitch notes in the bottom octave is documented. I don't think the CC#64 / CC#68 substitution is not mentioned. I think it should be. If for no other reason it would lessen "What other differences aren't documented?" type questions.

Pat
    From the original GPO manual (page 64):

Legato mode
    controlled by CC#68 (instead of CC#64). This difference applies to all strings, woodwinds, and brass instruments. Please note that instruments which normally use standard sustain pedal (piano, harpsichord, vibrphone, celesta,etc.) continue to use CC#64 for sustain function.

Keyswitches
    All notation version keyswitches consistently reside in the bottom octave of the MIDI spec (between C-2 and B-2) for all instruments.

etc.......

Raymond
    [Yes, I still have this manual on my desk, daily!!!!)

Hello Raymond,

So when you use the ARIA player under Finale, use the Notation version. The problem is only there if you want to migrate from Finale to Sonar(via MIDI), but I am sure that the solution to this "is just around the corner".

Raymond
    I have been using Finale with Sonar for many years and have never found a problem moving my file via MIDI into Sonar.

I just go on using the 'Notation' set in Sonar with any MIDI file sourced from Finale.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    Hello Raymond,

I have been using Finale with Sonar for many years and have never found a problem moving my file via MIDI into Sonar.

I just go on using the 'Notation' set in Sonar with any MIDI file sourced from Finale.

I didn't try it yet, and just supposed there might be a problem. As you said, there isn't any. Most comforting.......

Raymond

From the original GPO manual (page 64):

Legato mode
    controlled by CC#68 (instead of CC#64). This difference applies to all strings, woodwinds, and brass instruments. Please note that instruments which normally use standard sustain pedal (piano, harpsichord, vibrphone, celesta,etc.) continue to use CC#64 for sustain function.

Keyswitches
    All notation version keyswitches consistently reside in the bottom octave of the MIDI spec (between C-2 and B-2) for all instruments.

etc.......
    Interesting. We obviously have different versions of the manual. In my manual Page 64 is the chapter heading page for "Playing Garritan Instruments", and a search for CC#68 finds no hits. On page 54, in the section describing keyswitches, it says:
    Note:
    In the Notation instruments all keyswitches are located in the very bottom octave. This location is below the display range of the virtual keyboard. However, the keyswitches can still be seen and chosen for testing by clicking in the space where the keyswitch name is shown. This will open a menu of the available keyswitches. You can choose a keyswitch from the menu..
    No mention of "between C-2 and B-2". (I thought it was C-1 to B-1 but both Sibelius and Finale get it right so it doesn't matter what I think.)

Pat

Mine says:

Copyright 2005 by Garritan Corp. The cover has a black-white photo of an orchestra (maybe a bit chamois). It also says: Second edition. It came with my GPO purchase way back in the medieval times, when King Arthur established his Knights of the Round Table... you know, when potatoes weren't known in Europe (they came after discovering the America's).

OR, if you like those times in where Archie Bunker could say: "those were the days"...........

Raymond

Go Back to forum