• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: FInale 2011

Ellendale, ND

FInale 2011

Finale 2011 has just been announced and says it has MORE Garritan samples than ever before. Anyone have it yet?

Re: Finale 2011

I was just checking it out on the website. Some interesting things, including greatly expanded sounds like you said. The demo version is not available for download yet and no mention is made of when you'll be able to purchase the 2011 version. I have the '09 version and, unless there's something really major (like a much better midi note editor), I may stick with what I have. One thing that concerns me is it looks like they may have eliminated the speedy note input. I may be wrong, but this is what I found:

I would really not like to have to use a whole different way of inputting notes. I'm not that great on the keyboard, so hyperscribe is out (I have tried it), and the simple note entry is way too slow, unless they've somehow combined the simple note entry with speedy note. No way to tell until the demo version is available. I'm curious what others think.

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician (Gary A.)

HP Pavilion Elite, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 12 gig ram, 1 terabyte hd., E-MU 0404, Korg K61, Finale 2012, Sonar X2 Producer

While not trying to sound like a complete Negative Nellie, this upgrade has completely underwhelmed me. I expected to see something of substance since 2010 did not bring much to the plate from 2009. Finale really needs to take a lesson from Sibelius and start stepping up more.

Ok, that sounded entirely like a Negative Nellie. That being said, this looks like more of a point release than a full version. The silver lining is I can save $115! (Or use it to upgrade my old Sibelius license...)

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Re: FInale 2011

Check this link out. They don't specifically reference speedy entry but it looks like that capability still exists. I'm with you on that one. That's how I enter notes and I think it's much faster than even playing it in; especially with all the editing I'd have to do afterward

Steve Winkler

It doesn't have every feature I was hoping for, but the improved lyric spacing is long overdue, and I think the improvements to score layout will be welcome. I'll probably end up ordering it.

@Gary; I would really be surprised if Speedy Entry were eliminated. I know it's the preferred method for a lot of users (including me), and I doubt that there'd be any reason for MM to remove it. I wouldn't worry.
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Hey Steve and Dan,

I guess we'll have to wait until the demo is available to find out for sure. I agree, I can't imagine why they would drop that capability. My one main reason for going with the upgrade is the '09 version I have still sometimes crashes during playback. Also, if they made an effort to upgrade the midi editor to something other than what is there now I would definitely be interested. It's so cumbersome using Finale's midi editor as it is now. As for the improved lyrics spacing, that was definitely overdue. That might be worth it as I work on a lot of anthems. Now if they could only make Finale files available for export to Sibelius.

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician (Gary A.)

HP Pavilion Elite, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 12 gig ram, 1 terabyte hd., E-MU 0404, Korg K61, Finale 2012, Sonar X2 Producer

Every year it's he same thing, this rumor that MakeMusic is dropping Speedy Note entry.

No, simply because there are no changes to the process of using Speedy Note entry (the only reason it is not mentioned in the website's blurb on Finale's features), does not mean that MakeMusic will drop Speedy Entry.

Speedy Entry is a basic function of Finale.
    It will NEVER be dropped from the program.

There is no "well, let's wait and see".

Just because Gary Garritan didn't mention that the steinway piano has an F# in the 3rd octave doesn't mean that he will drop that F# from the library.

Likewise, simply because Speedy entry is not mentionned does not mean it will be dropped. MakeMusic have been clear in the past that there are no plans, and will never be plans, to drop Speedy Entry.

Was that clear enough?

NW Illinois

I don't understand why each year users assume that Speedy is dropped. It's already been confirmed by MM that it is still there, like it's always been.

Finale currently includes Music XML import/Export. So you can save in this format very easily to import into Sibelius. But Sibelius does not include a Music XML import function with the program. You need to purchase that separately from Recordare.

I don't think there's any way that MM can please its entire user base with each upgrade, since we all have different needs. Playback is important to this community, but many users in Finale's forum think that too much attention is given to playback already and would prefer just visual notation improvements. I get each upgrade because in the end, my workflow becomes better with each version.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    Just because Gary Garritan didn't mention that the steinway piano has an F# in the 3rd octave doesn't mean that he will drop that F# from the library.
    Yeah, but that F# is like the appendix of the piano. What's the point?

I have been a Finale user since its inception. In the last few
    years, I haven't seen anything that would make me purchase
    a new upgrade. Again, you must realize that I am a Digital
    Performer user, but I also love to use notation programs. It's
    just that Make Music hasn't whetted my appetite enough to
    justify the "annual" $110 "renewal fee."

Sorry to be so unimpressed, but I really thought that Finale
    would "go for it" with their 2011 upgrade. For folks that ONLY
    use a notation program, this is, probably, not good reasoning
    because any little new addition is important to them. Seems
    like this year is a good one for composers that use a lot of

I was hoping for a BIG improvement in MIDI editing and also
    trying to get rid of constantly reloading sounds before a passage
    can be replayed.

Finale 2009
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum