• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Shostakovich Symphony No. 10 Mvt II

Share/Bookmark

Shostakovich Symphony No. 10 Mvt II

Hey guys, thank for the nice words on my last post. Haven't been at a computer too much, but just enough to get this done. My favorite Shostakovich, well okay, second favorite.

http://www.box.net/shared/07o0eb7xdg

Used EWQLSO and Sibelius 6.

Enjoy!

(Could use a little tweak)
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Re: Shostakovich Symphony No. 10 Mvt II

I must have more of his Symphonies. It is really great music. Don't know if your piece is "close" to pro performances, but it sounds very interesting.

I cannot comment on your "rendering" , is it good or bad. Don't know the original, but it is the first thing I am listening to this morning and...... it appetizes me to get more of dear old Dimitri.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    I must have more of his Symphonies. It is really great music. Don't know if your piece is "close" to pro performances, but it sounds very interesting.

I cannot comment on your "rendering" , is it good or bad. Don't know the original, but it is the first thing I am listening to this morning and...... it appetizes me to get more of dear old Dimitri.

Raymond
    It's tough to even sort of duplicate the splendor of Chicago or Berlin, or especially London. But I did what I could... :-)
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Quote Originally Posted by tubajedimr View Post
    It's tough to even sort of duplicate the splendor of Chicago or Berlin, or especially London. But I did what I could... :-)
    ... and it was "like an attractive chocolate" be sure of it......

Raymond

Ok, it's not totally realistic, mainly in the fast string runs, but it sounds good. I'm quite fond of Shostakovich, and I have quite some discs. Your sound is a bit dry, all the instruments are rather in-your-face, which is unlike more modern recordings (these orchestras you mention, and to which I'd like to add the Concertgebouw orchestra, have a wonderful hall to play in). You could vary the tempo a bit more, to create subtle phrases, and try to let lower instruments that play the theme sound a bit more independent, more solo-like, such as the bassoon at 1:38, but it's difficult, since some sections sound better with more pressure, whereas others could use more phrasing. Good work, and thanks for sharing.

BTW, I think the tuba speaks very well for itself...
    Theo

Quote Originally Posted by tubajedimr View Post
    Used EWQLSO and Sibelius 6.
    This is a "shoot myself in the foot" comment because I'm very interested in hearing what can be done with non-Garritan libraries, but it doesn't seem quite appropriate to post something here that doesn't use any Garritan sounds.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by pokeefe View Post
    This is a "shoot myself in the foot" comment because I'm very interested in hearing what can be done with non-Garritan libraries, but it doesn't seem quite appropriate to post something here that doesn't use any Garritan sounds.

Pat

... maybe the rests are ....

Raymond

Shostakovich is a Composer that seems to encourage musical groups of all kinds( Marching & Concert Bands. Orchestra) to play at "break-neck" speeds. I think most musicians would prefer to savor notes a little longer than this kind of tempo allows.
    There will always be the divide between composers who search for the music instead of pushing musicians to the limits of their capability regarding speed.
    That being said, this is a very good presentation.

Gary

I don't agree with your view on Shostakovich. The man knew what he was doing. To give you an idea of the different kinds of music that he wrote (some random high scoring YouTube fragments):
    - the (in)famous 2nd Waltz from the 2nd Jazz Suite (in the version of Andre Rieu, who reached nr 1 on the hit charts in The Netherlands with it!)
    - Adagio from the 2nd Piano Concerto
    - Movement I (andantino) from string quartet #11
    The high speed is sometimes just a result of the function of the music. Certain of his symphonies have a "program", such as nr 7 "Leningrad", in which each movement depicts a scene from WW2 (YouTube has a complete decent, but not very Russian, version by Bernstein; start at mvmt 1, or the Adagio). And with a program comes a certain tempo. You may not like his style, but to me the tempi in his music seem quite appropriate.

If you want to talk about break-neck speeds, Shostakovich wrote an arrangement of "Tea for two" from memory in 45 minutes...
    Theo

Hi Theo,
    I wasn't talking about his music, I was stating that groups seem to strive to play the music as fast as possible.(up-tempo pieces)
    Gary

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast