• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Considering 64bit

Share/Bookmark

Considering 64bit

With Omnisphere & Trilian being so hungry, I'm considering changing my pc spec from Win XP with 4Gb to Win 7 with "lots more memory" & 64 bit.

My current soundcard doesn't support 64 bit yet, although it is due for release shortly (shortly being manufacturers speak for light years usually).

So can anyone give me some advice on soundcards that are currently supporting 64 bit please - PC only - I don't want to convert to Mac as well!

If you are running windows 7 & 64 bit, let me know of any pitfalls or problems too if you have time.

Thanks
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

Re: Considering 64bit

You can't go wrong with RME.

I've been running XP64 for a couple of years now and Windows 7 for the last 3 months (on a different machine). I'm still using Nuendo 32bit though, because I need to be able to use Quicktime, and Apple's software coders haven't read the chapter on 64bit Windows coding in the manual yet. ;>)

D

I'll second the recommendation for RME. I've been using it on a Vista 64 Ultimate platform. Haven't had any issues with it. Plus it sounds MUCH MUCH better than the M Audio card I was using before.

- Gavin
    Gavin Lake

Been using RME with Cubase 5 Win 7 system for a few months and it really works great. If you can afford it, go with a Pro system builder, you'll avoid headaches later.
    Intel - Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core 12Gig DDR3 1HD - 500GB for system 3HD - 1TB Seagate Sata II for audio and samples RME Multiface II Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Cubase 5 64 bit Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, EWQLSO Gold with Close Mics, QL Choirs, Gypsy, SD1, SD2 Pro, QL Pianos Gold, QL RA, Fab Four, Ministry of Rock, Reaktor, Memphis Horns, Ethno World II, Garritan Strings

Thanks for the quick feedback folks.
    Obviously your replies generate more questions:
    Which RME are you using?
    What else am I going to need (motherboard, Win 7, graphics card etc etc)?

Slinky - do you mean get a pro to set the system up when you say pro builder?

I'm a bit torn about whether to invest or wait.
    My current card - Pulsar II from Scope has many great things such as loads of synths, modular synth, loads of effects, mixers, third party freebies and so on, so I ought to wait having spent so much on it over the years.
    Trouble is I want to get the most out of Omni, Trilian and whatever the next generation of RMX throws at us.

If a decent RME card is a reasonable price though................
    Hmm, decisions, decisions........

Thanks again
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

Echo AudioFire 8 has been very smooth for me. I've used it for a while with Vista x64 and Win 7 x64.

A company that specializes in building Pro Audio systems. I used ADK and was very happy with them. Very pricey though but worth it.
    Intel - Core i7 920 2.66GHz Quad Core 12Gig DDR3 1HD - 500GB for system 3HD - 1TB Seagate Sata II for audio and samples RME Multiface II Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Cubase 5 64 bit Omnisphere, Trilian, RMX, EWQLSO Gold with Close Mics, QL Choirs, Gypsy, SD1, SD2 Pro, QL Pianos Gold, QL RA, Fab Four, Ministry of Rock, Reaktor, Memphis Horns, Ethno World II, Garritan Strings

Thanks for the updated replies - still pondering..........
    Neil B

Hi Neil,

Ive just gone 64bit, I have been an RME fan for a few years and have found their sound cards to be very good. I had to upgrade from an old
    RME Digi96 adat card and invested in their new FF400 usb. Its an incredidible peice of kit.

The really sweet thing about the USB card is, if you want to swap from pc to Mac or vice versa you don't have to open the puter to install it.
    Once the drivers are installed on the machine its just plug and play . Its not a cheap soundcard, but in my opinion worth it for its quality and RME support back their gear.

Anyhu hope this helps a little.

Regards

--

slice

Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro has 64bit drivers and no problems on Windows 7 64bit. It runs my softwear at 96hz with a latency of 4ms. 9ms in total adding the midi imput latency. I dont know how well this card will hold up with more than 4x VSTs on the go though so far its perfect running 4 VSt all on the go at the same time. I've also got a Core i7 at 3.5Ghz and 6GB of ram.

I use Ableton live and Omnisphere, Alicia's Keys, Z3ta+

Only problem is though Ableton live is not yet 64bit so all my VSTs are forced to run 32bit.

Only drawback with 64bit OS is every hardwear needs 64bit drivers older hardwear may not be supported anymore.

Other drawback was Photoshop CS2 and Illustrator CS2 does not run anymore under Windows 7 64bit

Some of my four year old games wont work

Before you buy any hardwear or Windows 7 64bit make a list of all your hardwear incuding the motherboard, graphics card, sound card , keyboard, mouse and so on and download the 64bit driver for each one put them on another drive then your good to go to install Windows 7 64bit.

Go Back to forum