• Register
  • Help

Topic: Harps are overpowering orchestra, and cellos being drown out by everything

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Harps are overpowering orchestra, and cellos being drown out by everything

I never thought I'd say this, but the two GPO4 harps are over powering the ensemble. 0.o I'm using Finale 2009 and have tried using the mixer AND the dynamics, but neither help. There's a section where I have the cellos playing "ffff" and the harps playing "pppp" and the harps are still overpowering the cellos!!! I really have NO idea what I'm doing wrong. And in another piece, I have the cellos AND the solo cellos playing ffff and everything else playing pppp, and I still can't hear the cellos. I could really use help!

Please & Thank you!

Zac
    Zacharias Paul Gustav Büchner
    ComposerTrumpeter

Re: Harps are overpowering orchestra, and cellos being drown out by everything

Hi, Zac,

Go into the Aria mixer and adjust the levels of the instruments there. The mixer can be used to get a balance, and then the dynamic markings on the score will work the way you want them to.

I've tried adjusting both Finale's AND Aria's mixers, and the harps are still to loud, and I can't make the cellos any louder (the volume is already at maximum), even with extreme dynamics .
    ComposerTrumpeter

Hey Zac,

Could you post an example of what it sounds like, maybe even the Finale file? I have Finale '09 and I know some of what you're talking about. I've had my frustrations with some instruments being too loud and others not loud enough. Strangely, it's the harps I can't seem to get loud enough at times.

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician View Post
    Hey Zac,

Could you post an example of what it sounds like, maybe even the Finale file? I have Finale '09 and I know some of what you're talking about. I've had my frustrations with some instruments being too loud and others not loud enough. Strangely, it's the harps I can't seem to get loud enough at times.

Gary A.
    Sorry for the late reply, I looked again and saw that the mod wheel was all the way up, so I put it down and that seems to have solved it. Thanks for the help though.
    ComposerTrumpeter

Zac, I am intrigued by this volume problem.
    One suggestion I might make: are your cello and harp staves correctly named?

In Finale, if the staff name does not match the instrument, then HumanPlayback will not know which parameters to apply for playback.

For example, if you name a staff "Flute" but load a violin patch, no matter how many "pizzicato" expressions you apply, HP will not recognize "Pizz" as a valid expression for a flute.

Go Back to forum