• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sample library formats

Share/Bookmark

Sample library formats

Hi all, I'm doing some research and I'd love it if you could help me out. What is the distribution of sampling preferences on NorthernSounds? Which sample library format do you prefer? (Besides Kontakt format? ) Take a "third party" like Tonehammer, do you wish they offered their libraries in your preferred format? I'd love it if you would respond and tell me.

Thanks!
    -milkshake

Re: Sample library formats

Play and Kontakt are my two main formats for sample libraries, and both are excellent. UVI is a little less useful, simply due to the limited number of libraries it supports, and while I have Halion, and used it for awhile a number of years ago, IMHO it is somewhat outdated now and needs a new release.

Re: "Take a "third party" like Tonehammer, do you wish they offered their libraries in your preferred format?"
    --- They already do.....Tonehammer libraries are Kontakt based.
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Well yeah what I'm looking for is what's the SECOND most preferred format after Kontakt. I know a lot of people like EXS (Logic) and perhaps SFZ (Cakewalk)? I'm wondering what would be the second (third, etc.) most popular format to support.

Well. . . The Aria by the Garritan company is really a fine sample play-back engine. For me, it's used right alone side Kontakt (version 4.1 is now out!). I also use EXS as well.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: "looking for is what's the SECOND most preferred format after Kontakt"
    ---Then, obviously, based on my post above, my choice would be Play!
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Hm, this is the part where I sound like a dork but isn't PLAY just for eastwest's libraries? 0o

Your question was about...and I quote... "sample library" formats. Perhaps you really meant to ask about "samplers" themselves such as Kontakt, Halion etc. and not libraries? Sample libraries are not samplers. You even mentioned Tonehammer. Tonehammer produces sample libraries that run in Kontakt, which is both a sampler and an engine for other sample libraries as well. East West uses Play for its libraries, but Play is not a sampler as such. It's basically an interface and engine for EW libraries. I know terminology can be very confusing sometimes so hopefully this explanation makes things a bit clearer.

Yes it is, basically there isn't many answers to your question... Play is East West, Aria is Garritan, Steam is Spectrasonic, VSL Instruments is Vienna, UVI Worsktation is MOTU and USB, so what's left that isn't dead, Independance maybe, but is it open to any developer, I'm not sure, there is Wusikstation that is open, Reason NNXT, Logic EXS, but they aren't matching Kontakt in today's sampling standard...

Teehee, sorry about the confusion, PlayZ. I was talking about sample library formats. Like if you are going to make a sample library, what will you format it to be compatible with? As in Kontakt libraries are .nki, EXS24 exs, etc.

there is Wusikstation that is open, Reason NNXT, Logic EXS, but they aren't matching Kontakt in today's sampling standard...
    Good point, labou. I have not heard of Wusikstation, but of course I know Kontakt is "in the lead" by a good amount these days. Oh for the days of Giga (I guess ). I wonder besides Kontakt if there is more popular support for Reason NNXT, perhaps Cakewalk SFZ, or Logic EXS?

Re: " Like if you are going to make a sample library, what will you format it to be compatible with?"
    ---Now THAT, as far as it goes, is perfectly clear! It also appears that you wanted to ask about both samplers in the true sense of the word (programs into which you could, for example load your own samples) and sample players like Play and some of the other proprietary players and engines like Play and Steam? But are you referring to a sampler that you can use to just play back your own samples...or are you asking about a sample player or sampler you could license to use when creating a commercial library?? That still isn't clear.

Personally, I guess I would have to stick with Kontakt for a general purpose library, but you did ask about second choices.......other than Kontakt. I guess it would depend on the type of library and the availability of the sampler or sample player. Could one for example create any type of sample library and then arrange to have Play or Steam as its player/engine? The answer at present is no. So that rules them out. Aria might be one option, but to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if one could license it or not for one's own sample library. The same with the players that others mentioned. And if you could, you probably wouldn't be looking at VSL, for example, if you created a heavy metal guitar library. So the answer to your question as it stands now is not all that easy to provide because its not easy to even find a format other than Kontakt and a few others that you could license or even use.
    In summary, if one was creating a commercial sample library, choices other than Kontakt are very limited. HALion might be one format that could be used, and of course there used to be Giga, which was at one time the most popular. What will happen to Giga is still unknown. It is my understanding that Garritan purchased it from Tascam and were planning to revive and reissue it some day, but others may have more current information. As for HALion, well there has supposedly been an update coming for a long time now, but even if Steinberg does issue one, they have a lot of catching up to do because Kontakt is used for so many of the non Play, Steam etc. type libraries these days. So, in summary, if you are looking for an equivalent to Kontakt, in every sense of the word, your choices are very limited I'm afraid. In this instance HALion would end up being my second choice. If you want to create a sample library for commercial purposes and require and engine/player then, of course you could check out ones like Aria, UVI etc. Only those companies themselves could provide you with a definitive answer.

So you see, the clearer your question becomes, the clearer and more accurate the responses will be. Hope that helps!

Go Back to forum