• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Headphone cables

Share/Bookmark

Headphone cables

from the review...... Headphones site

Looking to fully maximize the audio performance of your beloved AKG k702, k240, or k271 headphones? Supreme high-end cabling kings Cardas Audio in Oregon have designed and manufactured this AKG replacement headphone cable at HeadRoom's behest. Expect vastly improved tonal/timbral definition, an even more expansive and deeply-layered soundstage image, and a renewed sense of smoothness and detail throughout the entire audible frequency range.
    The standard 'Lifetime' Cardas Audio manufacturer's warranty covers any defective cords for as long as you own it.

Is this real? .. or just "merchandising"

Raymond

Re: Headphone cables

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Is this real? .. or just "merchandising"

Raymond
    If the copper that is used is "oxygen-free", you may hear some improvement in sound quality. From what I have been able to discover, the advertising blurb you include in your message is mostly hype.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

what we really need is oxygen free workspaces for folks that write that stuff!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Quote Originally Posted by wst3ae View Post
    what we really need is oxygen free workspaces for folks that write that stuff!
    Filled with nitrous oxide, who knows what the audio effects will be...
    I already thought so, it is just the same as with those speaker cables, a hype for those who have too much money (please don't argue on this, quality cables are enough, gold plated cables are a waste of money).

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by sonata5920 View Post
    Audio cables are not transmission lines. There is never impedance matching in connecting audio equipment. Audio equipment is always voltage driven. That is, a low output impedance drives a much higher input impedance, mostly resistive. It simply means, connecting for instance a preamp to a mixer will not result in dropping the voltage of the preamp by a noticeable degree.
    Thanks for clearing this up sonata. You are right. Most audio equipment is arranged with the load impedence greater than the source. I was imagining high frequency transmission of auditory cues beyond our hearing range... but since we are not dealing with long distances, you are right that the transmission line stuff is not directly relevant. I edited my post to avoid confusing anyone else.

The claims to a more deeply layered soundstage...? Well, the frequency and transient response will be improved with better cables, but I would not expect vast improvements over what's currently out there. They are really getting flowery with the advertising -- a renewed sense of smoothness and detail? What is smoothness? When I think of smoothness, I think of smearing, and lack of detail.

A key element of improved spatial impression is improved dynamic range. With a lower noise floor, the subtleties of diffusion in the space and late reverb become more perceivable.

Another key element is frequency response. Even outside of our official frequency hearing range (~18 - 20 000 Hz, dependent on the person, their age, ext), perception and cognition of sound still takes place. This is one of several reasons why sampling rates above 44.1 kHz are used for playback today.

So, if the cable can transfer a signal with a wide, flat frequency response, we can expect an improvement. If it has good internal soldering connections, ext, then we can expect less noise (better dynamic range), better transient response, and better frequency response. This all transfers to a better spatial impression and a better frequency response - but I think that the claims of drastic improvement are mainly merchandising.
    Last edited by Tim Perry; 06-04-2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: To avoid confusing anyone else

and at the end of the cables are our ears, which are imperfect as always. Some so called improvements can only be measured, hardly heard.

Nice reply, by the way. Thank you.

Raymond

I use headphones I constructed myself to a 1977 Bang & Olufsen design but replacing all the copper connectors and more importantly the cabling with 24 carat gold.

Incorporated some elements of Bose pilots headsets to reduce outside noise.

Totally unique and probably the best set of 'phones in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Monaghan View Post
    I use headphones I constructed myself to a 1977 Bang & Olufsen design but replacing all the copper connectors and more importantly the cabling with 24 carat gold.

Incorporated some elements of Bose pilots headsets to reduce outside noise.

Totally unique and probably the best set of 'phones in the world.
    Photo please. ....

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Photo please. ....

Raymond
    That's them! Patent pending...

G’day,

The content of Raymond’s quote is totally dishonest and as advertising not legal in many countries.

For headphones just about any wires will do electrically, including fencing wire, if the wires do not touch. A good headphone cable should be very flexible and contain a strong, well anchored fiber, to prevent the cable from breaking when pulled. Gold plated contacts of plugs and sockets reduce contact resistance and other problems, but do not improve sound quality.

Larry says:

“If the copper that is used is "oxygen-free", you may hear some improvement in sound quality.”

Not so.

Wst3ae is spot on.

Tim Perry - Audio cables are not transmission lines. There is never impedance matching in connecting audio equipment. Audio equipment is always voltage driven. That is, a low output impedance drives a much higher input impedance, mostly resistive. It simply means, connecting for instance a preamp to a mixer will not result in dropping the voltage of the preamp by a noticeable degree.

Best wishes,

Herbert
    GPO, JABB, CMB, GWI, GOFRILLER, HALION PLAYER, ACCORDIONS by E Tarilonte
    Cubase 6, Notation Composer, VSTHost, GoldWave audio editor.

Interests:
    Good Food, Gemütlichkeit, Wein Weib und Gesang – History, Politics, Civil Law –
    Electronics, Software Development, Physics – Plant Physiology, Creative Horticulture –
    Photography, Painting, Wood Working - Midi Orchestration, Music, Music, und Musik …

Go Back to forum