• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone else tried Orangetree Samples Evolution Electric Guitar?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone else tried Orangetree Samples Evolution Electric Guitar?

I just upgraded to this library the other day and it does sound great, but I was wondering if anyone else was having the same difficulties that I am.

First of all, when you play a key to start the strumming, it seems like the strumming starts about a half beat (maybe slightly less) after you press the key. It doesn't seem like this should be a big deal, but I've been having a really hard time getting the strumming to start when I want it to.

Second of all, I'm having a hard time changing chords at a good time. When I lift up my fingers and change chords, more often than not, it's at a point in the strumming pattern where nothing is about to play, or where it only plays what I could best describe as a grace note. Is there some way to get the strumming pattern to reset on chord changes, or at least, play a nice, solid strum?

Even the technique I use for the akkord guitar, of quantizing the chords, then nudging them back slightly doesn't seem to get the results that I want. Can anyone get this thing to play even remotely in synch with a click track?

Is this just me? Has anyone else had these difficulties? Any workarounds? I really like the library, but I'm having the hardest time getting it to behave the way I want it to. Is there something wierd that happesn when you use this library with Kontakt 4? I haven't had a whole lot of time to play around with it yet, so maybe I'll get better at it in time.

edit: Actually, it seems like maybe most of this could be solved if the strumming engine would just start on the first note of the strumming pattern when the strum key is first pressed down.

edit2: The second problem seems to be due to the fact that I'm running Kontakt on a second computer and the strumming is in synch with Kontakt's metronome, which isn't what I'm recording against. Still, this doesn't explain the first problem I'm having, although again, I think that problem could be fixed by making the strumming engine start on the first chord of the pattern when a key is played.

Re: Anyone else tried Orangetree Samples Evolution Electric Guitar?

Quote Originally Posted by mpalenik View Post
    Even the technique I use for the akkord guitar, of quantizing the chords, then nudging them back slightly doesn't seem to get the results that I want. Can anyone get this thing to play even remotely in synch with a click track?
    The sample library automatically syncs to Kontakt's metronome when loaded in standalone mode. If you load it as a plugin in your DAW, it syncs to the host tempo/beat.

edit: Actually, it seems like maybe most of this could be solved if the strumming engine would just start on the first note of the strumming pattern when the strum key is first pressed down.
    The problem is that the scripting engine needs advance notice of the strumming key pressed, because when the strings are strumming, they do not start at the beginning of the beat, they actually play across the beats. If you were to have the strums start at the beginning of each beat, everything would sound like it's a little late.

Also, then you would be stuck with the patterns only starting at their beginnings. Currently you can switch patterns in the middle of a measure to mix and match different strumming patterns.

edit2: The second problem seems to be due to the fact that I'm running Kontakt on a second computer and the strumming is in synch with Kontakt's metronome, which isn't what I'm recording against. Still, this doesn't explain the first problem I'm having, although again, I think that problem could be fixed by making the strumming engine start on the first chord of the pattern when a key is played.
    The problem is that there's no way for Kontakt (and thus also the scripting) to sync to an external source from standalone mode. Is there any way you can load Kontakt as a plugin from your DAW instead?
    Greg Schlaepfer
    Orange Tree Samples
    Ultra-realistic sample libraries for Kontakt

Go Back to forum