• Register
  • Help

Topic: This instrument vs. PianoTeq

Share/Bookmark

This instrument vs. PianoTeq

I have both. With PianoTeq I get all notes at equal timbre, intonation, volume at given velocity. With Garritan Steinway I get some notes standing out in volume, timbre and intonation as if the velocity is much much higher.

This can't be, this Steinway must be the "ultimate quality sample machine" they advertise with and I love using it except for those ever going "artifacts" I am facing every day.

When I buy a drawing-pen I don't have to mix the ink myself; I bought this piano, when do you finally make it a Steinway? A bit fed up with it.......

Raymond

Re: This instrument vs. PianoTeq

If only Pianoteq actually sounded like a piano ...

That is not the point. The message is, that when I have two instruments, a couple of notes that on the Steinway some notes stand out too much while on the other it is playing like I meant while writing.

How on earth can you justify that e.g. a D4 (one above middle C) with velocity 90 sounds harsh/shrill than the next E4, also with velocity 90 or even lower.

Raymond

It's perfectly fine to talk about things you'd like improved in the Steinway - in fact I encourage it, but this is the wrong forum for discussing non-Garritan products. This thread may not last solely for that reason.
    If it helps to know, I'm continually working on improving the pianos and on the new B. They're under constant development and I very definitely listen to what people would like, including your voicing feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post
    It's perfectly fine to talk about things you'd like improved in the Steinway - in fact I encourage it, but this is the wrong forum for discussing non-Garritan products. This thread may not last solely for that reason.
    If it helps to know, I'm continually working on improving the pianos and on the new B. They're under constant development and I very definitely listen to what people would like, including your voicing feedback.

I am not discussing non-Garritan instruments. I am discussing the fact that the Steinway I have isn't "ready" and to me this superior instrument must not be less in performance than the "all electronic" PianoTeq.

I am glad you are working on that instrument, it is hard, I can imagine.

Raymond

Pianoteq doesn't sound like a real piano

For example, Garritan Steinway have a Physical Modelling Sympathetic Resonance Generator that work better than Pianoteq. Good samples and good modelling = best virtual piano

I own a real Steinway.

Best Sampled Steinway : Garritan Steinway
    Best sampled Yamaha : Alicia Keys

EW Quantum leap Piano don't have Sympathetic Resonance and the playing behaviour is wrong, Galaxy II piano and vintage don't have a real Sympathetic Resonance (the effect work only for one 8' and doesn't work with Pedal down/up correctly)...

Quote Originally Posted by Pianolover View Post
    Pianoteq doesn't sound like a real piano

For example, Garritan Steinway have a Physical Modelling Sympathetic Resonance Generator that work better than Pianoteq. Good samples and good modelling = best virtual piano

I own a real Steinway.

Best Sampled Steinway : Garritan Steinway
    Best sampled Yamaha : Alicia Keys

EW Quantum leap Piano don't have Sympathetic Resonance and the playing behaviour is wrong, Galaxy II piano and vintage don't have a real Sympathetic Resonance (the effect work only for one 8' and doesn't work with Pedal down/up correctly)...
    yes on all the above ,I have just about all , and all have they're place ,one was left out I kind of enjoy ,that is the Grand 3 and wish that there was more control over the Garritan Steinway on the velocity issue Grand 3 works well in this department this would make a major difference, on a mac at least, I understand there is a PC third party program for this b ut again it is third party

Along the same lines

Hello All,

I have read this thread with great interest, and before expressing any opinion of my own, may I kindly ask you to play both versions of Yours Truly performing Maurice Ravel's Alborada del Gracioso and comment on the sound, performance, general impressions of these two recordings of different performances? Here are the URLs:

http://www.box.net/shared/bhdmd44ll0

http://www.box.net/shared/czcd9xxi9n

Thanking you in advance.

Cheers,

Joe <jcfelice88keys>
    Last edited by jcfelice88keys; 08-14-2010 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Wrong URL in original post

We're way off topic. Anyhow, one's real the other isn't.

JG

Go Back to forum