• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Requiem" featuring RequiemGreets.

Share/Bookmark

"Requiem" featuring Requiem

Greets.

First off - great job, and a tip of the hat to Tonehammer for this library. As yet, I have composed just one demo with Req, but already I feel it was worth every penny. Definitely met my expectations. More on that in a bit. Every lib has it's strengths, and every lib has it's weaknesses, and Req is no different, but so far, it appears that the weakness to strength ratio is small. Excellent sound quality - having worked as an audio engineer for many years, and knowing what sounds good and what doesn't, and having done many recordings (some very good, some not so good), I can confidently say that this was recorded extremely well, and that excellent recording techniques (mics/mic placement/etc.) were used. Applause there.

Secondly - what I did here is something that I have never done before - write for samples that I did not have in my posession, and base my compositional work on what I was expecting the samples to sound like - which in this case, was based on what the Req demos sounded like. Here is where Req met expectations. Based on those demos, I expected Req to sound a certain way, and I expected to be able to do certain things with the lib. And I was. I simply sat down and composed for the orchestra, envisioning what the Req choirs would sound like - what I wanted them to sound like - and just went with it. I was tempted to use EWQLSC as a base, so that I could get a ballpark guesstimate of what Req might sound like - but opted not to. I wanted to go off of what I heard in my head only. Now again, I did that based not on what I thought I might be able to get out of a real choir, but what I thought I might be able to get out of Req - based on the demos. Very, very happy with the result here. Also, kinda proud of myself, if I may say so. Save for the length of the beginning (string pad), nothing about this peice changed once the choir was dropped in. I spent several hours with Req, going over patches, playing, etc., - then went right to the track I had already composed. Orchestrally, I left everything as is, so it seems that I did a decent job of "hearing" the choir while building the rest of the orchestra. And I guess this speaks as to how well Req can translate into real world compositions.

All in all, I am extremely pleased with this purchase, and do not regret it one bit. Now everyone go out and buy a copy - this way THammer can easily afford to go back, and record Req2. And if you guys do dev Req2, you are guaranteed at least one customer

Requiem

I am not going to post the choir part naked, but what I figured I'd do is here is post the same peice with the choirs a lot louder (well, the orchestra lower, technically) so you can hear exactly what is going on, and get a better idea of what the lib is capable of.

Requiem - xtra choirs

Comments, suggestions, etc. all welcome. Enjoy!

Re: "Requiem" featuring RequiemGreets.

I just get a Webpage could not be found message.
    David

oops - sorry!

Great work Jeffrey!!

How many of instances for the choir did you use?
    Kontakt had the habit of being Ram hungry, but now it is 64bit it might be better...

Great sounding demo Jeffrey! And quick work. I only managed to finish downloading the choir yesterday. You've inspired me to start exploring it.
    David

Hmm.... very nice. Although, at the very end it sounds EXACTLY like one of the tracks from Zimmers TDK soundtrack.

Well done, Jeff. That is indeed a good representative demo of some of the various sections of the Requiem library. And congratulations on being the first (?) user to post a demo. You are ahead of many of us. I'm kind of working in reverse...getting to know the choir contents, and trying to learn how and when I can use it effectively before writing something. I'm finding I'm most pleased with nearly everything, with only a few minor suggestions. Like you, I'm very impressed by the recording quality. I did hear something a little strange in one of the male choir patches, but ran out of time before I could try and pin down what exactly didn't sound quite right. Back at it tomorrow, so will report more then. So far I agree with your comments.

And re. "at the very end it sounds EXACTLY like one of the tracks from Zimmers TDK soundtrack."
    ---Well personally, it doesn't matter to me right now if it sounds somewhat or exactly like something else. I suggest (and I'm sure you agree) that the demo does what Jeff intended it do, and that's what I suggest is important here...it demos Requiem's capabilities. And no one can claim Zimmer (and 100s of other composers) haven't been influenced by Carl Orff's O Fortuna either...and maybe a little bit of that creeps into many of our compositions from time to time too?

Looking forward to hearing other user demos as well, and thanks for posting yours (so quickly) Jeff.........................frank
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Thanks for the listens, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    How many of instances for the choir did you use?
    Six.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael135 View Post
    Hmm.... very nice. Although, at the very end it sounds EXACTLY like one of the tracks from Zimmers TDK soundtrack.
    Could be - used to listen to that soundtrack quite a bit. What track are you referring to?

Hey Frank,

Quote Originally Posted by playz123 View Post
    I did hear something a little strange in one of the male choir patches, but ran out of time before I could try and pin down what exactly didn't sound quite right. Back at it tomorrow, so will report more then.
    Still waiting for a report...lol...

Cheers.

Okay, here you go, Jeff. This is one example. Open All>Legato & Sustains>Sustains only>Sustains_men_2way_vowel-select multi pos. For example hit and hold an AM triad starting at A2 (where C3 is middle C). It really doesn't matter though. Hear anything that sounds like a buzz or noise in the upper frequency range? We've tried this on two different sets of quality monitors, and there's definitely something not right here. The matching women's patch has no problems at all......frank

PS: And here's something else perhaps someone could check. Go to Mid>Soloist>Mid-poly-sustains-solo_soprano_2 layer. Please click on keyswitch D-1. The "Credodium" articulation seems to be missing for me. It just shows N/A. The other articulations are all there, and Credodium is present in other patches.
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Hayat View Post

Could be - used to listen to that soundtrack quite a bit. What track are you referring to?
    Why So Serious? Comes in very noticeable at 8:01.

Considering you said you used to listen to the soundtrack a lot, it wouldn't at all surprise me if you subconsciously worked it into your music. I've found the same happens with my own music if I listen to something a lot. Which is also why I think people always say my music is very familiar, but they just can't say exactly what it is.

*sigh* The annoying things our brains do with out us having any clue about them doing it.

Go Back to forum