Removed at Cinesample's request.

Removed at Cinesample's request.
    Blake Robinson
    programmer | designer | composer
    folio |
    catpee | dummyworld
    | facebook

Re: Syllable Builder for Tonehammer's Requiem

Outstanding, sir, this is just what I was wishing for! It'll come in handy (especially when first writing, and trying to figure out what bits of latinesque phrasing work best for the effect I'm trying to achieve. Thank you very much.

Sorry to hear that Dummeh. Some of the nicest and most diplomatic people I know, from any walk of my life, are developers in the NS stable, which makes it a real shame when one demonstrates such limited people skills.

Not only that, but nothing is really original, and the pure concept of a syllable builder is far from it - BelaD got there a long time ago, and I'm sure it wasn't even original then. If it's purely the appearance they're going after then it's a bit pitiful. Plus theirs isn't available yet, so maybe you should go after them.

Thanks for trying to give to the community.
    David

Watch out Pingu - you might get hit with a slander lawsuit.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    Not only that, but nothing is really original, and the pure concept of a syllable builder is far from it - BelaD got there a long time ago, and I'm sure it wasn't even original then.
    Actually, the VT script/concept was the first of it's kind and for the record, Bela D Media Vocal Tools (c2008). Prior to Vocal Tools is VCU (Vocal Control Utility) from the Giovani Edition (c2005)

Thank you,
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media View Post
    Actually, the VT script/concept was the first of it's kind and for the record, Bela D Media Vocal Tools (c2008). Prior to Vocal Tools is VCU (Vocal Control Utility) from the Giovani Edition (c2005)

Thank you,
    Sorry Francis, I stand corrected.
    David

Apologies in advance for ranting, but I think this is getting just a bit out of hand. I speak as a consumer here, but full disclosure suggests that I disclose that I am a very happy customer of Bela D Media.

First - I recently picked up a copy of "Vocal Tools - The Tenor", and it is awesome. First and foremost, the samples sound wonderful! The singer has a voice that makes me green with envy. The quality of the samples is first rate. And the programming - which really is the crux of this biscuit - is easy to use and thoroughly effective, even without all the K4 eye candy.

How easy? I had one of those "need it yesterday" deadlines on a project where I needed The Tenor. Out of the box I was able to create the effect that I wanted without ever opening the manual. It was thoroughly intuitive. Simply play the keys - ok, maybe not simply, you do have to listen to what you are doing to get the timing, but play the phrase.

Later I did read the manual and I was able to mix-and-match phrases, although the results are not yet as clean as I'd like them they are usable, and with a little patience they'll be great. Must remember to read the manual more often!

Second, among other things, I think it clearly demonstrates that if anyone should be pitching a fit it is the programmers at Bela D Media. According to the copyright dates they released their Vocal Control Utility in 2005, and their Vocal Elements in 2008 - apologies to Bela D if I got the terminology wrong.

And yet they have kept quiet while this debate rages on here and on other forums. I think that says a lot about their character.

Of course they may just be heads down on VOCI<G>... and since one can make a reasonable guess that they are using K4 it will be very interesting to see exactly what they come up with.

I believe that this debate started when someone suggested (elsewhere, these things don't happen here!) that other developers "pinch" the concepts presented in the Voxos video. That's poor form if you ask me, but you didn't.

And just so no one thinks I have a horse in this race, I have the utmost respect for the Tonehammer gang. I own almost all of their Microhammer collection, and a number of their Tonehammer libraries, and I use all of them, a LOT! In correspondence with Troels I have found him to be patient, and truly interested in the customer's experience. I think both the recently released libraries sound beautiful, and when funds and learning time allow I'll get them.

I also think the gang at Cinesamples is great. I've been awaiting the opportunity to buy their "Drums of War" library, and I'm very interested in their woodwind library. I think their demo videos are among the best I've ever seen. They have an absolute gift for conveying information, lots of information, about the use of their tools, and scoring in general.

I feel a little bit bad for them because I think they've been pushed into a bit of a corner - actually everyone has - because a couple of customers have taken it upon themselves to reinterpret EULAs. I wish they had not reacted quite so strongly, but that horse is out of the barn. And on a positive note perhaps we will now get this whole thing sorted out.

But make no mistake, as a licensee of "The Tenor" and a soon-to-be licensee of both "Diva" and "The Giovanni Edition" (gotta love group buys!) this is not a shockingly new concept, and while Cinesamples may be doing things quite differently under the hood you have to give credit where credit is due!

Whew, this is what happens when I have too much coffee!!!!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Not completely sure what was going in in that message or where things are getting out of hand or why it was needed, but I'll agree that Cinesamples, Tonehammer, Bela D Media all deserve major kudos for their work - past, present and future. Their products are great and this was never in question.

As for corners, EULAs and barns, I have no idea. As far as I am concerned, Cinesamples asked me to remove the script. I didn't agree with the method in which they asked, or the reasoning behind it (and was probably slightly hot headed, given I was incorrectly accused of illegal theft) but as a previous customer and fan of their work I have respected their wish and have done so.

That is all. Is there a way that moderators can remove this thread now that it's purpose isn't actually needed?
    Blake Robinson
    folio |
    catpee | dummyworld
    | facebook

Downloaded the script - thanks for taking the time to do this, and post it. It is pretty cool, I'll say that much.

Not sure why you would have to take it down - did you swipe the code from Cinesamples? I would imagine that would be hard to do, as their product is not even out yet. Or did you write your own code from scratch based on what you saw in their demo? Not trying to play devil's advocate here, but unless NI's EULA - yes, Native Instruments - forbids this, I really do not see a problem here. The reason I say this is because I am 99% sure that you do not have the legal right to claim code as yours when that code is written inside of someone else's sw to be used inside of someone else's sw. Or am I wrong?

Cheers.

The code, graphics and resources were created from scratch by myself (or modified from the Kontakt 4 prefab library) as an exercise to learn Kontakt 4's new UI features and create an easy to use syllable automation system I needed for Requiem. Obviously the layout is similar to what is in the VOXOS video (and in other products with similar matrix/cell setups - it's an efficient way to lay out such a system).
    Blake Robinson
    folio |
    catpee | dummyworld
    | facebook

Go Back to forum