• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Introducing Garritan's new Intern

Share/Bookmark

Introducing Garritan's new Intern

Hi Everyone,

I've recently landed an exciting gig with Garritan as an engineering intern! In case you are curious, I'll give you folks a brief background story, and let you know how I plan to fit into the forums. Please feel free to tell me some of your tales also, as the profiles here don't paint the most vivid pictures.

At the University of Victoria, I've been incredibly fortunate to have gained a background in electrical engineering, audio signal processing, recording and acoustics. While studying engineering with a focus on digital signal processing, I took supplemental courses with the School of Music, and also worked as a recording technician for the university.

But don't worry -- I am not a logic circuit. Beneath the technical chatter lurks an artsy person with a nonlinear brain. Like you, I have a deep passion for music, and for making it. While not accomplished musically (I play classical and electric guitar and compose... amateurishly), I'm privileged to have worked with outstanding and inspiring musicians through recording and sound design work.

My first exposure to Garritan was when I stumbled across the Stradivari Solo Violin in 2008. What a cool musical tool for simulating expressive violin lines! Since then, I've been very interested in what's under the hood of the Garritan line, and in getting to know the people behind the products and the people who use them.

As many of you may know, the Garritan team is very one-on-one with the users of their software. It simply makes sense, as the purpose of these products is to empower creative, musical people---you. As the newest member of the team, I will strive to be an active presence in the forums. While I am not yet a power-user of the Garritan software line (still getting up to pace, and most of my work is signal processing-related), I can act as a liaison for questions that you might have. Also, if you have questions related to recording or acoustics (for example, maybe you want to understand how certain reverb parameters help characterize an acoustic space, or want a second opinion on mic selection/configurations), I would be happy to help out. There is already a wealth of experience in these forums, so surely I will also come here to do some learning.

If any of you are interested in the nerdier elements of audio signal processing and acoustics, and are curious about my past project experience, my portfolio link is below. Hot projects include surround sound convolution reverb, recording studio design, various digital audio effects, technical jargon galore, ext.: http://www.engr.uvic.ca/~timperry/

I look forward to getting to know some of you , and to listening to your creations.

Cheers!

-Tim
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." – Henry Thoreau

Re: Introducing Garritan's new Intern

WOW!
    Welcome aboard Tim!
    I trust you will not only share your knowledge and experience here,
    but you will also gain a healthy self esteem from doing so.

Congratulations in this step in your career!
    Dan

Welcome Tim,

This is one of the most well-run, informed and personable forums (full of experts and experience) that I have ever had the pleasure to participate in. I know you will find it so as well.

Again, welcome!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Thanks Dan! Great to meet you, and Interesting to see another sound guy rocking the tri-display setup. Looks like your expansive experience in audio production and recording can dwarf mine, so I'll also emit a WOW. From Bach to Rock holds true on this end too - but only a few years of solid part-time experience.

-Tim
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." – Henry Thoreau

Thanks reberclark.

It also looks like this forum is filled with a lot of insightful, impactful people. I jump to this thought because many of you seem to have an online presence, and share your works with the world, and support each other. Neat to see all of this within the Garritan forum.

Congratulations on landing such a great gig Tim! I am sure you will have a great experience with Gary, Tom and the gang.

So, first tech question for you: What is the airspeed of an unladen swallow?

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by LFO View Post
    Congratulations on landing such a great gig Tim! I am sure you will have a great experience with Gary, Tom and the gang.

So, first tech question for you: What is the airspeed of an unladen swallow?

-Kevin
    And your favorite color?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Bryson View Post
    And your favorite color?
    Kevin: the average cruising velocity of this graceful creature is about 1.1e-9 angstroms/second.

Jon: dark juniper green in a 50|50 homogeneous blend with [r,g,b] = [0.2, 0.6, 0.36].

I've gone too far already. The complexophile strikes again and takes the fun out of colouring.

Uh-oh. One more chance. If you are truly Tim, then what guards the cave of Kyre Banorg that contains the last words of Ulfin Bedweer stating the location of the holy grail?

Speak carefully sir and do not panic, though the eyes of the entire forum be on you!

-Kevin

P.S. For a bonus, if a woman weighs the same as a duck, she is therefore made out of what and hence is a what?
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by LFO View Post
    Uh-oh. One more chance. If you are truly Tim, then what guards the cave of Kyre Banorg that contains the last words of Ulfin Bedweer stating the location of the holy grail?

Speak carefully sir and do not panic, though the eyes of the entire forum be on you!

-Kevin

P.S. For a bonus, if a woman weighs the same as a duck, she is therefore made out of what and hence is a what?
    A beast as foul as a fuzzy ball of yarn, with long ears, and a stubby cotton tail, and a taste for the flesh of any man---should he seek the holy grail.

Bonus: the woman is made out of submarine sand witches and pine planks, and hence she is a little tiny rock that floats.

Go Back to forum