• Register
  • Help

Topic: Green is the Scrozzle

Share/Bookmark

Green is the Scrozzle

There really is a Scrozzle, in San Francisco, at the Museum of Modern Art. That's where it was when last I saw it. It is far more tranquil than this music, which is difficult. These are the pieces after considerable effort to make them easier to read and understand without smoothing the chaos of the originals. They were composed simultaneously. The instruments are entirely Garritan. I describe the music as harnessed chaos. The originals were much more chaotic, which I liked better, but the timing was so complicated that the notation looked a mess, very hard to follow. Hence, these slightly simplified versions.

Green is the Scrozzle (Piano Version)

Green is the Scrozzle (Organ)

About 4 minutes each.

Richard

Re: Green is the Scrozzle

Richard -

Curious. . . What's a "Scrozzle" that can be located in the Museum of Modern Art in San Francisco?? Is there a picture to this art piece???

I liked your piano piece. I listened to it twice. (I've found that in the past, listening to your compositions two or more times seems to help me understand the music better.) Without a doubt, the dissonance helps convey that feeling of "chaos" that you seemed to want to get across. I appreciate the range in dynamics which serves, to my very modest ears, as a "counter-balance" to the dissonance.

I appreciate the skill and experience involved in creating this piece. And, I thank you for sharing it.

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Well, Ted, in the SF Museum of Modern Art, there was, maybe still is, a painting entitled "Green Scrozzle". It is a canvas painted solid green, with a texture that resembles rough plaster. I did not like it, but the name stuck in my mind. That is the entire connection of the painting to the music. Well, maybe there is a bit more, but not much.

I sometimes find that listening to piece more than once is very helpful in appreciating it ... even my own works.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Richard

Richard,
    That's one of those pieces that I would never have sought out but am glad I heard - a listenable and enjoyable piece. The two version have such a different feel that it's hard for me to believe they are essentially the same - perhaps because the timbre of the peddle line in the organ is so different from the upper register, and because of the sustained notes, of course. I felt the chaos in the better organ version, but I liked the piano version better. I felt a forward drive rather than chaos in the piano version. It's interesting that the resolution at the end of the piano version didn't come across at all in the organ version.

The strongest I've got after hearing these is that I've got no idea how to conceive of a piece of music like that something like that. No matter how much I enjoy listening to modern music I'm afraid I'm doomed to compose 19th century music.

Pat

Richard

Harnessed chaos is a good interpretation.

But then a number of your pieces could be classified as such.

Nice piece.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

"It's interesting that the resolution at the end of the piano version didn't come across at all in the organ version"

Which is why I felt the need for two versions. The organ ending does change the character, as intended. Thanks for your interest and comments;

Ron: I've been wondering where you have been. Thanks for the comments. The chaos feeling is something that I frequently strive for.

Richard

I like the piano version. IMHO it gives bit more articulation and tension. This kind of music is not mine, but as always..... willing to learn. With a bit more dynamic changes, perhaps, to distinguish the various parts and rhythms. I can imagine that the score must be very complicated, all those syncopated and accented notes.

Interesting, [ and that old fashioned ending!!!!, I expected some dissonant]

Raymond

Yes, the score is a bit complex. You can view it here:

Green is the Scrozzle (Piano Version)

The ending may be looked upon as a surprise ending, I guess.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Richard

Go Back to forum