• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Polyphonic-legato script for libraries with legato patches

Share/Bookmark

Polyphonic-legato script for libraries with legato patches

Hopefully won't stomp on anyone's toes this time. I've had the Kontakt 4 script itch all this week and this is the result of today's work. It's a Multi Script so it requires Kontakt 4 (I'm not sure if it's compatible with Mac Kontakt either or if it works on anything below Kontakt 4.1 - it should do).

I haven't officially released it or anything so there's not a help file (I'll explain how to use below). I'm also not sure whether it'll work correctly on OSX (picture folder issue - I'll hopefully have an answer for this soon). I figured I would post it here and see how you guys found it, what they could use it with and what problems it has. I've been using it for Audiobro's LA Scoring String's library to play multiple divisi sections with legato but it'll work with anything with legato patches.

Pretty simple to use. Install it by extracting the contents of the zip to your Native Instruments\Kontakt 4 folder inside My Documents.

Load in a multi (For example All Vlns Div Leg LP Speed P_) and then click the Multi Script button at the top of the Kontakt window (to the right of the multi name) and find it in preset->user->multigato.

Make sure each instrument in the multi is on its own MIDI channel (by default LASS and some other libraries put them on a single channel). It doesn't matter which, but the script defaults to [A]1, [A]2 and [A]3.

Start to play. The three violins give a visual indication as to what's playing and will bow back and forth when you play legato. You can play a maximum of three notes simultaneously before legato kicks in on following notes. This is configurable in the drop down on the right.

There's also options on the right to select how the script determines which section should legato-transition to the newly pressed note. It defaults to the section playing the Closest note but this can be changed in the drop down. There's quite a few options and I could easily add more if anyone can think of any.

The third dropdown on the right determines how you play. Instant release means that a note stops as soon as you release, Hold chord will keep it held (and perform legato on it) until you release all notes and Unison will just play all sections together.

You can change the MIDI channel it's controlled by with the knob to the bottom right. You can load multiple instances of this script and have one control violins, one control violas, one control cellos, etc. One cool thing I noticed is that you can load these into the other normally-unusable ports of Kontakt (for example, I loaded Violins and Violas into port B, Cellos and KB into Port C and changed the script channel knobs to 16,17,18 - 24,25,26, etc.)

All three of those dropdown options can be toggled with keyswitches (C-1 to F0). Changing some of them mid-play (such as voice count and hold style) may result in stuck notes, though.

Trying to think what else there is to explain. There's a video of me using it with LASS here that demonstrates it a little bit. I've also tried Requiem and VSL's legato instruments and it seems to work well.

Feel free to post any questions, suggestions,comments,bugs or ways you've found to use it.
    Blake Robinson
    programmer | designer | composer
    folio |
    catpee | dummyworld
    | facebook

Re: Polyphonic-legato script for libraries with legato patches

Wow, thanks will try it after work has been done.
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

This is looking like a great script! I love the animated violin icon to show status - a really nice touch! My thanks to you for sharing your hard work.

Could you possibly expand the script to include a separate 4 split and 2 split divisi versions? For 1st and 2nd violins sections especially, a 4 way version would be ideal, On the other end, a 2 split divisi version would be ideal for the double basses only in half (as anything more would probably be a little much).

Also, how is the legato being generated? Is it similar to SIPS in design or something else? Will any of the legato settings be brought out onto the interface for making adjustments.

Also, is it possible to have a way to move the range of keyswitches together up or down the keyboard instead of preset design? It might help to move them in the case of the double bass sample mapping area.

Keep up the great work on this one - could be a game changer for many of us!

p.s. I've just started using this great script, but wanted to let you know that I have been getting a few stuck notes with three simple instrument on three sequential MIDI channels in Kontakt 4.1 (Windows).
    "Making the simple complicated is easy. Making the complicated simple is brilliant" - Ivory Soap Bar

Wouldn't this script have the potential to resolve the non compatibility between the Equal Volume Cross-fade scrips and the legato script from the SIPS?

If I understand correctly the legato and the cross fade is incompatible, because there are more than one note playing at the time. That would be quite an improvement in may ways.

Anyway, thank you for your very generous contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by cinemascore View Post
    ...sing this great script, but wanted to let you know that I have been getting a few stuck notes with three simple instrument on three sequential MIDI channels in Kontakt 4.1 (Windows).
    Thanks. Glad you like the script. I'm definitely keen to expand it and the ways you've suggested sound like great ideas.

The script itself doesn't perform any legato functionality and relies on the instruments loaded either being proper legato patches, or being loaded with something like SIPS. I'm investigating adding built in SIPS style legato for the next big release but I'm not sure how much can be done in the Multi script. For now, you can load SIPS or similar legato scripts into the instruments being controlled.

I'm not too sure on the stuck notes issue. Which instruments or libraries are you using it with? I have experienced stuck notes before, but only when having multiple instances of the script active (if you do, just ensure that none of the multi scripts use instruments on MIDI ports that other multi scripts are listening on). If you have a MIDI sequence or anything that recreates the issue, that'd be a great help too and make it easier for me to fix.

I'll update the script at some point this week to add a simple keyswitch configuration. Any other suggestions, feel free to drop them in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus S View Post
    Wouldn't this script have the potential to resolve the non compatibility between the Equal Volume Cross-fade scrips and the legato script from the SIPS?

If I understand correctly the legato and the cross fade is incompatible, because there are more than one note playing at the time. That would be quite an improvement in may ways.

Anyway, thank you for your very generous contribution.
    I'm not too sure - I've not used either scripts so I'm not completely sure how both work. Thanks for your comment, and glad that you like the script.
    Blake Robinson
    programmer | designer | composer
    folio |
    catpee | dummyworld
    | facebook

I could of swore it was performing some soft of legato, but my ears must have been fooling me! I am very comfortable with SIPS anyhow, so this looks like the better way to go anyway. If your multiscript had legato in it, it might make the short articulation patches loaded in there too sound a little weird as your script affects those assigned MIDI channels on a global basis.

Anyway, glad you sound receptive to the 4-way and 2-way versions from your reply. The 4-way divisi version is important to me, as I've specifically created my violins in four-way splits (custom made library). Having the three choices of your multiscript would be perfect as I would then load the appropriate version for the section that I'll be using it on.

The stuck notes thing was most likely user error - I was changing the section size parameter via the keyswitches while holding down notes. After re-reading your initial post, I see now that that was the cause. Sorry about the false alarm.

Offering a keyswitch range adjustment will really come in handy. Thanks for that very much.

Again, this really looks like a winner. I would like to make a donation to help for your more that generous work!
    "Making the simple complicated is easy. Making the complicated simple is brilliant" - Ivory Soap Bar

Smile Re: Polyphonic-legato script for libraries with legato patches

This is a mighty cool script, something i have hoped for a while.
    Very musical - and quite a time saver...

I can report here, after playing around an hour or so, that it works on Kontakt 4.04 MAC OSX. Unfortunately i don't get the cute graphics (3 violins bowing)
    but i can manage that!

Since the creator of this script seems open to suggestions here is mine, not knowing if it's feasible or not:

could we have three notes distributed in vertical order, taking a C major
    for example:

top note G to 1st section
    second note E to 2nd section
    lowest note C to 3rd section

This must be insanely hard to implement in this already wonderful script
    but who knows...

Thanks very much for this, it will be very useful to many i'm sure...

Very nice script Blake,

I do concur though that a Divisi method would be more preferable than the current section build up (if that makes sense!).

i.e. all instruments playing at all times and then split as it becomes polyphonic.

Regards,

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Matthews View Post
    Very nice script Blake,

I do concur though that a Divisi method would be more preferable than the current section build up (if that makes sense!).

i.e. all instruments playing at all times and then split as it becomes polyphonic.

Regards,

Justin
    I second your words.

If the vital default keyswitches that the script uses to change sections (C0 for "Play 1 section", C#0 for "Play 2 sections" & D0 for "Play 3 sections" could be passed through the script so that the instruments could react too them as well, a simple group keyswitching arrangement would make Blake's script turn the section builder into a sized maintained section divisi solution. Right now it appears as though this keyswitches get absorbed by the script and they don't pass through. Bypassing the script restores the keyswitches back to the instruments again.

My proposed divisi group starts would look something like this:

UNISON - "Play 1 section" (ks-C0) - load all desired sections to create the maximum unison section and set them all to MIDI channel 1. Set half of these programs to play on keyswitch C0. Set the other half to play on keyswitches C0 and C#0. Finally, set a third set of the unison programs to play on keyswitches C0, C#0 and D0.

DIVISI "a2" - "Play 2 sections" (ks-C#0) - load a copy of the second half of the unison set from above and set them all to MIDI channel 2. Have them play on keyswitch C#0. Set some of this set (to form a third set of full unison) to also keyswitch from C#0 and D0.

DIVISI "a3" - "Play 3 sections" (ks-D0) - load a copy of the remaining third of unison set of programs that haven't been used to play on D0 in the above unison and divisi a2 sets above and set them all to MIDI channel 3. Set their keyswitches to play on D0.

Note - when selecting the two reducing sets within the "unison" mode and the one within the "divisi a2" mode, care should be selecting unique programs so that there aren't any duplicates playing back.

...SO if my logic is correct, when wanting to play unison, press the C0 key and play. When wanting to play in halves, divisi "a2", press C#0 and play any two notes. When wanting to play in thirds, divisi "a3", press D0 and play any three notes. Use these three keyswitches and you have true divisi while maintaining proper section sizes at the same time.

Blake - could you modify the script to pass the section keyswitches through your script to the instrument? Or if you have anyway to add logic similar within your script? I'm thinking with the testing I've done trying to get it working this way, the keyswitch pass through would make it all work for me as described above.

Go Back to forum